Recommend your MD/DC area midwife - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-18-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've done a search and no recent posts came up. I'm looking for midwife/birthing center recommendations for the metro DC/MD area.

I've been seeing an OB but am concerned about the possibility of unnecessary interventions (I'm 15w and my doctor has already mentioned scheduling a cesarean since my husband was a large baby...not something I'm willing to consider right now.) I'm looking for someone who can use either a hospital or a birthing center, since our condo is not set up to handle a home birth. I'd prefer someone in-network for the Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal Employee Program, but will take any and all recommendations. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 05-18-2010, 03:45 PM

I love the midwives at Bay Area Midwifery. Dona & Jennifer are amazing.

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#3 of 14 Old 05-18-2010, 05:29 PM

I just gave birth a couple months ago with Kathy Slone's midwife group and had a very positive experience. They are in Baltimore and deliver at Mercy Hospital...not sure if thats too far away for you if you're in DC. I hope someone from DC will chime in, as I'm pretty sure there are some great midwifes down that way. You can also contact the ICAN branch of DC, for recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juangela View Post
I've been seeing an OB but am concerned about the possibility of unnecessary interventions (I'm 15w and my doctor has already mentioned scheduling a cesarean since my husband was a large baby...
I would see this as a big red flag. I'm glad you're thinking about switching care. I also started out with an OB but switched at 20 weeks due to similar concerns about interventions. I thought it might be difficult to switch, but it really wasn't a problem and I'm so glad I did. Best of luck to you!

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#4 of 14 Old 05-18-2010, 06:14 PM

I am going to Midwifery Care Associates in Bethesda. They have a second office in Frederick and they deliver out of Shady Grove. I am going there for a VBAC. I also do know my DH's friend gave birth to a 10 1/2 pound baby vaginally at Mercy.

I myself was over 9 1/2 pounds, although no one ever said that was a reason for a c-section, after I delivered my (small for my family) 8 pound baby (I had a c-section after being induced), the OB did say that I would need a repeat c-section because my babies were too big for me.

They have a form or something to transfer records, so I think they get people switching all the time. I haven't meet with them yet, my first appt is in June, but I personally met with a few people that told me they had a great experience with them.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#5 of 14 Old 05-18-2010, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Definitely drop that OB! Our area is really tough. Interventions are the rule.

If you are in or near VA, you might still consider an OB. VA keeps great records of c/s rates and other info you'll want:

http://www.vhi.org/ob_report_results_phys.asp

I loved my homebirth though.

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#6 of 14 Old 05-19-2010, 10:50 AM

Special Beginnings is in network (I have BCBS Fed too). They're out in Arnold, near Annapolis. I gave birth to my daughter there and it was great. We may not get paid maternity leave, but the pregnancy/childbirth coverage can't be beat!

You might check Bay Area Midwifery, they're in Annapolis, right near Anne Arundel Medical Center.

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

#7 of 14 Old 05-19-2010, 03:19 PM

Whitney pinger of wisdom midwifery, note her practice is moving to GW hospital in lieu of Washington hospital center
#8 of 14 Old 05-19-2010, 05:56 PM

I don't know where you are located, but I went to Loudon Community Midwives...they work out of Loudon Hospital near Leesburg. We drove from MD and took the ferry over. There's always BirthCare (midwives) in Alexandria, too. They have a birth center.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#9 of 14 Old 05-19-2010, 09:33 PM

In DC- the Family Health and Birth Center is wonderful. They also deliver at WAshington Hospital Center if you want a hospital.

birthcare in Alexandria is also great, and accessible from DC.

Definitely check into Whitney Pinger at GW.

There is a list of birth centers and midwives in the area with contact info on the birth options alliance website, www.birthoptionsalliance.org

You are smart to be suspicious about the "big baby card". There are numerous stories here on MDC, and on the local homebirth groups about 10, 11+ # babies delivered vaginally without incident. You will find many wonderful midwives in this area who have confidence in your body's ability to birth the baby that you grow, and will transmit that confidence to you instead of put unfounded fears into your mind.
#10 of 14 Old 05-26-2010, 11:25 PM

Birthcare in Alexandria is wonderful. I didn't deliver there, but used to go there for well-woman care. But I have heard many excellent reports from others.
#11 of 14 Old 05-31-2010, 01:09 AM

Any homebirthing midwives in MD that come to Frederick County? I only have 3 names and one is Evelyn (??) can't remember her last name but she is quite far from me and seems to be quite busy as well!
#12 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 01:04 PM

Just jumping in to bump this up if anyone has anything to add. A friend of mine is considering switching to a midwife practice in second trimester after her OB practice has been shown to be quite high-intervention and very traditional medical-model-ish with not a lot of wiggle room. Suggestions to add here?

#13 of 14 Old 05-15-2013, 10:03 PM

Depends on where she's located. NOVA is full of midwives and birth centers. There is I believe one practice close to DC in Maryland. Is she still wanting a hospital birth or birth center? Is she a VBAC or 1st baby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejg123 View Post

Just jumping in to bump this up if anyone has anything to add. A friend of mine is considering switching to a midwife practice in second trimester after her OB practice has been shown to be quite high-intervention and very traditional medical-model-ish with not a lot of wiggle room. Suggestions to add here?

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

#14 of 14 Old 05-19-2013, 06:54 PM

Maternalove's questions would be useful to help. MAMAS midwives are incredible, if she's in their area. Although I know they fill up really fast. Good luck mama!

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page