Cost of homebirth in Maryland (Frederick) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
 
thankful85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found out we're expecting #3. It's a huge shock...we don't have insurance atm and were not planning on expanding our family anytime soon but obviously other plans were made for us.


I had already decided after my sons birth (at Holy Cross Hospital) that if I had another I would look into a homebirth. DH isn't crazy about the idea but he'll come around.

What can we expect to pay? We're in Frederick.
Also...if anyone has any recommendations for a midwife I would love to contact you off the board.

Thanks!

Mama to DD (1/2004)  DS1 (5/2006) and DS2 (2/4/2011)
 
 
thankful85 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-09-2010, 09:59 PM
 
kJad29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just PM'ed you my midwife's info. She's pretty affordable like $3000 for everything and $250 if you want to rent an aquadoula. I really like her and she's just wonderful. I feel that she's very personable and has lots of information. She'll come to your house for all your appointments since you live in Frederick. She lives in Middletown and as you know that isn't far at all. She's a great midwife and I couldn't say enough good about her. Best of luck on your journey.

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

kJad29 is offline  
Old 06-09-2010, 10:25 PM
 
homewithtwinsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thankful85 View Post
I just found out we're expecting #3. It's a huge shock...we don't have insurance atm and were not planning on expanding our family anytime soon but obviously other plans were made for us.


I had already decided after my sons birth (at Holy Cross Hospital) that if I had another I would look into a homebirth. DH isn't crazy about the idea but he'll come around.

What can we expect to pay? We're in Frederick.
Also...if anyone has any recommendations for a midwife I would love to contact you off the board.

Thanks!
Maryland has really good laws preventing pregnant women from going without insurance. You need to apply for MCHIP. The midwife I work for is a homebirth CNM. Our office can/will help you if you need to apply for state assistance and guide you to the option that will pay for homebirth if you decide to come into care. The office is in Catonsville, but we do travel to Frederick for clients births.

Call if you want a consult with Evelyn Muhlhan, CNM at 410-455-9659
homewithtwinsmama is offline  
Old 06-14-2010, 12:07 PM
 
jenniepaige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are a couple of midwives in thea area and you are looking at around the 3k plus range. But like PP said, there is a great insurance program for pregnancy that is pretty easy to qualify for and I know Evelyn takes it. She's fantastic.

Jennie: Working mother to 3 and loving wife to my hubby for over 12 years
Emily 10 Taylor 8 Logan 6
jenniepaige is offline  
Old 06-14-2010, 06:11 PM
 
apelilae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My birth with Evelyn was covered my our insurance -except her assistant fee of $650 and the birth supply kit and additional supplies which was around $100. I know she accepts some of the medical assistance plans too and the majority of health insurances.

The going rate seems to be between $2000-3000 and most of the midwives will work with you too. Congrats!
apelilae is offline  
Old 06-16-2010, 12:24 AM
 
phathui5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Oregon
Posts: 17,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The CPM I used when I lived in Maryland was $1800 altogether.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
phathui5 is online now  
Old 07-22-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
 
thankful85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you all for the replies!

Unfortunately we don't qualify for MCHIP...we don't meet the income requirements anymore. My kids were enrolled in it but DH made too much last year so after they saw last years tax returns we were denied. DH's business is WAY down this year but they won't even consider it.

I haven't met with any midwife yet...I spoke to one and am waiting to hear back from another so hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be all set.

Mama to DD (1/2004)  DS1 (5/2006) and DS2 (2/4/2011)
 
 
thankful85 is offline  
Old 07-23-2010, 04:07 AM
 
homewithtwinsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
The CPM I used when I lived in Maryland was $1800 altogether.
She has raised her rates significantly since then. I believe the current cost for your midwife is now $2600.
homewithtwinsmama is offline  
Old 07-23-2010, 04:10 AM
 
homewithtwinsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thankful85 View Post
Thank you all for the replies!

Unfortunately we don't qualify for MCHIP...we don't meet the income requirements anymore. My kids were enrolled in it but DH made too much last year so after they saw last years tax returns we were denied. DH's business is WAY down this year but they won't even consider it.

I haven't met with any midwife yet...I spoke to one and am waiting to hear back from another so hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be all set.
I would call and speak to someone at the program specifically and tell them your current situation. If that does not work then call the constituent services office of your State Delegate and explain that you are having to go without prenatal care because the MCHIP folks are unwilling to look at your current financial situation. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised. Call Evelyn's office and tell Wendy that Lorrie Leigh asked you to tell her who to call to discuss this at the state level. I really do believe you can qualify. The rules get easier when you are pregnant. The state is working hard to make sure that no MD woman goes without prenatal care.
homewithtwinsmama is offline  
Old 07-23-2010, 09:55 AM
 
russsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post
She has raised her rates significantly since then. I believe the current cost for your midwife is now $2600.
I'm with her now - her fee is $2400. Of the four homebirth midwives I interviewed, I believe the fee range was $2400 to about $4000, plus other costs, such as birth kit, birth assistant, tub rental, etc.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
russsk is offline  
Old 07-23-2010, 01:23 PM
 
secondimpression's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post
I would call and speak to someone at the program specifically and tell them your current situation. If that does not work then call the constituent services office of your State Delegate and explain that you are having to go without prenatal care because the MCHIP folks are unwilling to look at your current financial situation. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised. Call Evelyn's office and tell Wendy that Lorrie Leigh asked you to tell her who to call to discuss this at the state level. I really do believe you can qualify. The rules get easier when you are pregnant. The state is working hard to make sure that no MD woman goes without prenatal care.
I completely agree with this. The worst they could possibly do to you is say no, then you appeal the decision and escalate to the next highest level. From personal experience, I was denied Medicaid during my first pregnancy because of income restrictions. I reapplied after I had incurred medical bills that I couldn't pay, got denied again (they didn't want to cover bills resulting from a miscarried pregnancy), appealed the decision and got everything covered. All it cost me was time.
secondimpression is offline  
Old 07-23-2010, 05:32 PM
 
Bebegim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Im in the baltimore metro, due in Dec. thinking about homebirth, as my OB practice is driving me bonkers. Great thread!!!

Lauren , DH , DD 02/2007 and expecting #2 (12/7/10)! We
Bebegim is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off