Help! Mercy Hospital for Birth? Yeah or Nay? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 06-23-2010, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need opinions on Mercy for labor and delivery, post partum care, etc. Has anyone been able to leave early from Mercy? I hear they are strict in letting you go home early. My ped does not have rights there, so she said they would have to keep me at least 24 hrs. And then bring the baby to her for the 1st check up. I'm birthing with Kathy Slone and Associates. I only had my first appt with them last week, saw Kate, young in my opinion but giving it a chance. Let me know what you think! I'm currently 28 weeks pregnant.
#2 of 23 Old 06-23-2010, 11:30 AM

Hi there. I asked a similar question about a month ago or so (titled something like Birthing with Kathy Sloane at Mercy). The responses should be helpful to you. But I would love to hear any new responses to your question, as I am considering whether to use Kathy's group. So far I really like them but am very hesitant to deliver in a hospital. I have also heard a MINIMUM of 24 hrs to be discharged and more likely 48.
#3 of 23 Old 06-23-2010, 09:47 PM

I was a UC transfer to Mercy last March. I can't tell you anything about Kathy Sloane beyond heresay, which you can easily read for yourself in older posts

I can answer your question though. I was admitted at 2am Sunday morning and they were ready to discharge me Monday evening although DS had to stay until Tuesday afternoon. They gave me the choice to stay until he was discharged which I of course agreed to. We were both given IV antibiotics (just wasn't worth fighting it on top of everything else). So I was clear for discharge after 36 hours and DS after 60. How long you spend there will also depend of course on the time of admission; there aren't many doctors around to discharge postpartum patients during the night shift And yes, part of DS being discharged was confirming that he had an appointment with the pediatrician the next day.
#4 of 23 Old 06-24-2010, 08:40 AM

I delivered at Mercy with a MW at the end of 2008. My MW cleared me to leave Mercy after 24 hours and put in the discharge paperwork. However, actually getting discharged in 24 hours was a CHALLENGE. The ped staff was terrible in my opinion, tried to bully me into staying longer threatening that DS would have to stay but I could go (apgar's great, nothing wrong with him!). And also were very snarky about the vit. K, in front of visitors during visiting hours! I kindly asked her to come back later and she never did. They did call my ped to also try and convince me to stay longer than 24 hours.

I never saw the lactation consultant though I asked many times. The person to register DS for birth certificate and SSN came about an hour before we were supposed to be discharged and then didn't get everything she needed and had to come back.

At discharge time, no one came, even after calling the nurses. We packed up and went out to the desk and the look of shock on everyone's faces was incredible. They made us go back to our room and wait, said it was shift change time.

I also should say that we were still on the delivery floor. Delivery and recovery are on different floors and recovery was full (I think they told me they have 25 beds). So I'm sure that accounts for some of this, the nurses on my floor were more focused on delivery and not postpartum care.

There were some other things about postpartum at the hospital I was disappointed with, but they aren't related to discharge so I'll leave it at that.

We were finally discharged about 27 hours after we came in. Oh, and they left the clip on the cord and we didn't realize it until we were home. Ped said she couldn't take it off so we just waited for it to fall off. I would hope things would be better for you if you make it down to the recovery floor.

DS September 2008 and DD September 2010
#5 of 23 Old 06-24-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryztuh View Post
And also were very snarky about the vit. K, in front of visitors during visiting hours! I kindly asked her to come back later and she never did.
They had the head of pediatrics come in to berate me about refusing vitamin K as well. When I started quoting studies the pediatrician acutally LAUGHED at me and claimed DS "will bleed to death if you so much as hit a speed bump in the car on the way home" This is extremely upsetting to know that it didn't just happen to me!
#6 of 23 Old 06-25-2010, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thats terrible how the ped treated you guys. They are idiots. I don't think I will be delievering with Mercy. I'm looking into Maryland General, I've heard good things about them too and I hear they are not as strict about the babies going home early. Thank you all for your input!
#7 of 23 Old 06-25-2010, 10:44 PM

in 2004 I left with dd1 at about 20 hours pp.

hh2.gif

#8 of 23 Old 06-25-2010, 10:45 PM

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;125/2/405

the aaps own guidelines on early discharge, revised this year. Basically says if baby is feeding, peeing, pooping and maintaing body temp and mom is comfortable going home and wants to, then early discharge is ok. Making mom/baby go home based on ability to pay or insurance is illegal.

hh2.gif

#9 of 23 Old 06-26-2010, 12:37 PM

I delivered at Mercy in 2008. My mw (Kathy and associates) discharged me 24 hours after (at 4 am) and ds's ped, who had privs at Mercy, also discharged him after 24 hours. Mercy's ped came to argue with me about ds leaving and tried to make me promise to bring him to my ped within 24 hours of leaving. Ds was healthy and had no problems but very mild jaundice which did not concern his ped. If I were to deliver there again, I would only do so with a ped who could come to examine and discharge the baby. I would not trust Mercy's ped.

I also had a terrible experience with their lc.

A paperwork person also woke me at 5 am for me to sign some papers that I later found out were for wic (I don't qualify) and paternity (I am married to ds's father and did not need these papers). She was also incredibly rude to me.

I also requested a vegetarian meal, but was brought chicken. When I told the person delivering the food, she said "not my problem" and walked out. It took hours to get more food.

After we got up, showered and dressed, and completed all discharge paperwork, it took well over an hour to get anyone to come with a wheelchair. The nurses made me wait in my room and no one would tell me how long it would be.

My pp experience really turned me off Mercy, which is sad considering I had a great birth with Kathy. The l

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#10 of 23 Old 06-26-2010, 01:56 PM

our pp experience was also horrendous. If I needed a hospital birth, i would hands down go to st. joes. No water, but everything else is wonderful. We also used mercy's ped. not our own.

hh2.gif

#11 of 23 Old 06-29-2010, 09:50 PM

It's been a while since I delivered there (2000) but the problems are the same.
L&D was wonderful, save for a couple of nurses who wanted to kiss my ob's behind. After that it was totally downhill.
We had difficulty with every other staff member down to the security guards in the lobby who watched my family like a hawk while I was in labor. Every time they made a move, they would follow them and ask where they were going. Weird.
I too requested a vegetarian meal and was given chicken. Sent it back, and two hours later got a plate of carrots and corn. It was insulting.
A year prior I delivered a surrogate pregnancy and had a very condescending social worker come in to ask me questions.
I filed a formal complaint and apparently it was handled, but who knows.
When I delivered at home 4.5 years later, my midwife referred to Mercy as "Merciless Hospital" Heh. She also delivered there about 15 years prior.
There are other things that happened but I can't recall off the top of my head right now. I can't speak for other hospitals in the city, but hopefully they're not all the same.
#12 of 23 Old 07-06-2010, 10:58 PM

I just delivered there with Kathy Slone/Katie on Friday and had no problems.

I was allowed to eat throughout my entire labor, I was only monitored for 30 min at a time and they monitored me in whatever position was most comfortable. I walked the halls to try to speed labor. My nurses were very kind and I never had a problem with them.

After the delivery I was given a big sandwhich, apple, etc, and then moved to the 15th floor where I had a great nurse that evening. Once we fell asleep she never wokr us or the baby and would just check the feeding chart that I was filling out. We told her when we got down there that we wanted to leave in 24 hours and she made sure that everyone that came on at 7 AM knew that. The nurse practitioner that did the infant exam had no problems with it and she told the resident that she felt we were fine for discharge. They did the PKU right at 24 hours and then we were out of there.

The food was ok, but its a hospital, I have been in just about every Baltimore area hospital and all of the food sucks.

I labored at Franklin Square for my two previous and this was a much better, much less medical experience. It was as close to being at home as I could expect in a medical facilitiy. I would go there again in a heartbeat.
#13 of 23 Old 07-07-2010, 12:51 AM

Thanks for sharing Mandymommy! Welcome and Congrats!

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

#14 of 23 Old 07-07-2010, 09:40 PM

The question is did all of your complaining about your postpartum Mercy experiences write letters to the administration about it? Because that is the ONLY way change gets made. Trust me on this.

After my horrific St. Agnes NICU experience (chronicled here on mothering.com in the story A Crunch Mama Makes Her Way in the NICU) I met with the NICU nurse manager and wrote a very long letter to the administration, copying the nurse manager and the Neo-natalogists. They formed a committee to reform their policies towards breast feeding and parents rights in the NICU. An LC I became close to told me they bought breast feeding pillows and recliners for facilitate Kangaroo Care and were calling her more often to help NICU mamas with breast feeding. They are building a new NICU incorporating ideas in the design that I actually had forwarded the neo-natalogists over the next couple years after I left. All women have to help move obstetrical care in a more humane direction. Its a couple hours of your time and a few stamps ladies. Do it for your daughters and you sisters and your friends.
#15 of 23 Old 07-07-2010, 09:41 PM

I recently worked with a couple that got out of Mercy in about 11 hours after a long hard and unpleasant fight, but they did do it. More women need to keep doing so!
#16 of 23 Old 07-08-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post
The question is did all of your complaining about your postpartum Mercy experiences write letters to the administration about it? Because that is the ONLY way change gets made.
Yes, this. As one of the cbe's at Mercy and someone who knows many many people who have birthed there, I can relate stories like all those above to my boss until I'm blue in the face but true change will only come when families demand change (even if it still comes slowly). This was true for letting partners into birth rooms 40-50 years ago and remains true today.

Negative or positive feedback must be communicated to the hospital - letters, phone calls or speaking with the nurse manager during your stay. Mercy has a phone line just for this purpose - call the hospital at 410-332-9000 and request the Gold Star line. Someone will be able to take your feedback and you can request a call back; please consider letting them know when things have gone well too. The staff needs to be reinforced when they get things right. And while nothing can change the experience you had, you may be able to make the experiences of others better.
#17 of 23 Old 07-08-2010, 12:08 PM

I am a Childbirth Educator at Mercy and an independent Doula (who attends most of my births at Mercy). Your experience will largely depend on your care provider and how 'normal' the birth is. I have known students / clients who are discharged after 24 hours. It is always a good idea to have this conversation with your pediatrician and MW before hand. If you want more specifics please feel free to PM me. Good Luck and don't hesitate to ask questions!

Danielle
#18 of 23 Old 07-09-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidenwisdom View Post
I am a Childbirth Educator at Mercy and an independent Doula (who attends most of my births at Mercy). Your experience will largely depend on your care provider and how 'normal' the birth is. I have known students / clients who are discharged after 24 hours. It is always a good idea to have this conversation with your pediatrician and MW before hand. If you want more specifics please feel free to PM me. Good Luck and don't hesitate to ask questions!

Danielle
Its not the after 24 hours people having trouble. Its the ones who want to leave more like at a birth center in 6-10 hours. And care provider has nothing to do with it in my experience since at that point it is all under the jurisdiction of the pediatricians and your L&D and/or postpartum nurses. Most of this is happening well after your care provider has left the building. The mama gets discharge orders releasing her quickly and then she has to fight like H*** to get her baby out.
#19 of 23 Old 07-09-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post
Its not the after 24 hours people having trouble. Its the ones who want to leave more like at a birth center in 6-10 hours. And care provider has nothing to do with it in my experience since at that point it is all under the jurisdiction of the pediatricians and your L&D and/or postpartum nurses. Most of this is happening well after your care provider has left the building. The mama gets discharge orders releasing her quickly and then she has to fight like H*** to get her baby out.
Yes, that can be more difficult but really the mothers who want to leave after 24 hours but before 48 also often have a lot of trouble getting the baby discharged. The nurses, while they may attempt to give mom a hard time about leaving, have no jurisdiction over either of the dyad's discharge orders. Mom's care provider can do their best to set things up well for early discharge but it is true that they are often gone from the building by the actual time of trying to leave. Having a ped who has rights at Mercy can help in this situation, if they can be reached at the right time. In my experience it is highly dependent upon who is on-staff at the time...luck of the draw. Going to Special Beginnings or staying home are also choices that would avoid the struggle but not everyone can or will, I realize.
#20 of 23 Old 07-09-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your advice. The bottom line is, it seems you get the luck of the draw in terms of what ped sees you and when they say it's okay to go home. I know they are a more "conservative" hospital where that is concerned. The midwives don't have issues saying you are free to leave, its up to the peds to agree for baby to leave. If you dont have a ped who has rights there, (like I dont), I'm left to the fate of whoever is seeing our baby. I believe by legal right/or fight I have the right to leave at 24 hrs even if I have to put up a battle. Plus this is my third baby, so I kinda know what I'm doing. Hopefully this will have an impact on that decision by the peds. And for "hipem" you are right, having a birth center birth or home birth you wouldn't have to deal with this at all, which I've had, but this time is different.
The fact of the matter is hospitals and insurance company's want to make money. They make more money off of you being there, than not. So of course they are going to make it difficult. Let's not forget that lovely fact.
Thank you all again for your input!!!!! Keep it coming.
#21 of 23 Old 07-09-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenembers View Post
I believe by legal right/or fight I have the right to leave at 24 hrs even if I have to put up a battle.
Actually, I don't think I've heard of any such thing. On the contrary, I was GBS+ & had no time for ABTs. It's pretty standard in that case to keep baby for observation for 48 hours. (It's a policy from some national pedi organization, not just Upper Chesapeake Hospital policy, so I didn't bother to fight it.)

I also remember when I went on the L&D tour at Upper Ches that the nurse said some pedis always want babies observed for 48 hours.

Not that I'm saying you should expect a battle or anything, just I've never heard of any legal "right" to leave at 24 hrs. If the doc thinks your baby needs more observation, he won't sign the baby out. Then you're left with the leaving "AMA" question (yes, you have a legal right to just take your baby and go at any time- leave "Against Medical Advice.")
#22 of 23 Old 07-09-2010, 05:40 PM

You always have the legal right to leave ama.

hh2.gif

#23 of 23 Old 07-09-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post

Not that I'm saying you should expect a battle or anything, just I've never heard of any legal "right" to leave at 24 hrs. If the doc thinks your baby needs more observation, he won't sign the baby out. Then you're left with the leaving "AMA" question (yes, you have a legal right to just take your baby and go at any time- leave "Against Medical Advice.")
My doc approved my leave, and the nurses and pedi had no say in it. I had a c-section and was allowed to leave after 2 days. C-section was on Monday evening, OB gave me the okay to leave on Tuesday night for Wed morning. The nurse did tell me it was too soon and I would be back with a dead baby (yup her words), but they let me go without a fight because the OB approved. I was told by the pedi what to look for jaundice. I was not at Mercy, I was at another hospital and had a c-section, but baby was fine and healthy when born.

Insurance companies won't make money by anyone staying at the hospital, I talked to mine, they want you to leave early! Maybe the hospital wants the money from the insurance company, but the insurance company makes no money on keeping anyone there longer.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page