vacation near cambridge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2010, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're spending a week in july with my extended family on the Little Choptank.
I'd love any advice on fun things to do with little ones, we have a 7 yo and a 4 yo, and their cousins will be with us - 5 yo and 2yo.
I also like to get them some books ahead of time about the area, any recommendations on picture books or chapter books about maryland?
tia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue heron View Post
We're spending a week in july with my extended family on the Little Choptank.
I'd love any advice on fun things to do with little ones, we have a 7 yo and a 4 yo, and their cousins will be with us - 5 yo and 2yo.
I also like to get them some books ahead of time about the area, any recommendations on picture books or chapter books about maryland?
tia.
Assateague/Ocean City is a good hour-plus away, but would make a great day trip. Too bad the Misty of Chincoteague books are geared toward kids a little older.

There's a cute locally published series about Chadwick the Crab and his Chesapeake Bay friends you could probably find online.

St. Michaels might be boring for the kids... There's a cute little zoo in Salisbury (35-ish min away?)

I've heard Smith Island is a neat outing, but again, might not entertain the kids as well.

Eek... Looks like I'm not being as helpful as I'd hoped! I spend a lot of time in that part of the shore, but not with kids. I bet you'll be able to find fairs and carnivals in some nearby towns, there's always something over the summer. Cambridge has some nice parks, too. And fishing and crabbing is always fun!

Old 06-29-2010, 11:02 PM

Hebron carnival is going on. I believe it goes Wed - Sat but look online before heading out there. It's about 30 minutes east down rt.50.

The zoo/park is very nice. My 4 and 2 year olds love it.

My secret nice beach is in Bivalve, it's on the river instead of the ocean, so it's a bit warmer right now. The waves aren't as big, either. It's on Cove road, off 349. (I grew up on that road, right on the water

Assateague is nice, if you have the time to drive over there. I think it would be about an hour or more from Cambridge. The ponies seem to be hot and hiding right now, but there are still some around. And, there are fishermen catching neat things Costs $10 or $15 for a day pass.

The Maryland welcome center on Rt.13 north may have some good books and pamphlets with some historical places to visit. We just went to Furnace Town in Snow Hill. It was nice, but not worth a trip from Cambridge, imho.

Once again, Chesapeake me!

User Tag List