Towson Mall is NOT kid- or disability-friendly - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-08-2010, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Am I the only one who has had an experience like this? I am planning to write a letter to the mall and was hoping others who have might do so as well.

I went to the Towson Mall yesterday to get some relief from the heat. Took the kids and promised them a trip to the children's play area. My goodness! It was nearly impossible to navigate that place with a stroller. I always think about wheelchairs, too, or other getting-around aids needed for others.... I went through three entrance/exit doors and NOT A SINGLE ONE had a button to open it. Even the required-by-law handicapped spaces in the parking deck were closest to a door with NO accessibility button-- not even a sign! I believe this is illegal under the ADA.

Add to this the fact that their play area, which used to be on the first floor right off the elevators, has been moved to a completely obscure and UNMARKED location back in the armpit of the mall! It isn't even on the maps that I could find; we had to go to customer service to ask. We followed their directions and looked around forlornly until my son asked, "What is Tiny Town?" which was printed on a sign saying "no food or drink" in T.T. Perhaps it was also written on some otherwise unremarkable glass doors?
There were NO signs leading to it or pointing the way. And what else? NO A/C in there!!! Other parents said that is how it always is. I can't see how they stand it. Some parents just opened the doors after a whie, which meant that parents were running after little ones attempting to escape.

I joked with some other parents that the Towson Mall probably just hates children, and wants them out of the way if they have to be there at all. But it really does make me upset.

Am I the only one who has felt this way? Was it just the heat? I do not plan to go back there any time soon. I was hoping that others who have had a similar experience muight consider writing to them as I will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-08-2010, 12:54 PM

I know that when I lived in Glen Burnie about 2 years ago, the Marley Station Mall had no handicapped entrances. I had to help a man in a wheel chair get in the door and he told me there were none in the mall. So maybe it is illegal, but Towson is not the only mall with this in MD.

As for other stuff I don't take my child to the mall to play - I am paranoid about germs like that so I have no idea how mall play areas are

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#3 of 10 Old 07-09-2010, 03:12 PM

I also encountered stroller unfriendliness at the inner harbor this week. Most of the entrances to the two pavilions were steps only - no ramp unless you entered through a store or restaurant. Double doors all over the place with no automatic door opening. Navigating from one floor to the other involves hunting down the lone elevator.

At least at the Barnes and Nobles in the Power Plant the greeter opened the doors for us on the way in and I hit him up for the same on the way out!

Strong bathroom scents are another pet peeve of mine - very strong cleaning product smell in the food court building bathroom. Green products can have a much tamer smell - why use the strong stuff especially something that seemed to be pine based which is an allergen to many?

Oh, and no drinking fountains inside - I asked several employees and they all told me no. The water coming out of the bathroom sinks was heated and so of no use in re-filling our water bottles which I needed to do in order to brave the 105 degree walk back to our parking garage.

If moms ruled the world then all doors would have the automatic buttons, all malls would have the family restrooms like the ones at the White Marsh Mall, and all restrooms would have footstools for little ones to stand on while washing their hands!

Please join me in complaining to management whenever you encounter a nuclear strength fragrance in a business' restroom. Folks we are breathing that stuff into our bodies! Wall mounted air freshener dispensers can be set at varying levels so all they have to do (if they won't disconnect the darn things) is at least turn it way down.

-Barbara
#4 of 10 Old 07-09-2010, 03:18 PM

Wow! I have been to Inner harbor, Towson mall and Marley station mall all my life and I've NEVER noticed that they aren't wheel chair and stroller friendly! I even took my babes in stroller to the mall and someone has always opened the door for me and I didn't even notice.

Isn't Arundel Mill Mall handicapped friendly and what about the Glen Burnie Mall?

I live in Virginia now so I don't go to these place as often like I used to.

I heartbeat.gif my  9/22/02  dd who likes to blahblah.gif, 4/29/09 mos old. silly & adventurous girl twins twins.gif ,  11/15/l0 girl baby.gif & my coffee drinking DH!
#5 of 10 Old 07-09-2010, 05:53 PM

I really dislike Tiny Town. It's totally in the armpit of the mall, ridiculously difficult to get to. Since it's enclosed it's stuffy and loud in there and you feel like a pariah. I don't know if it isn't well ventilated or not cleaned very often, but DS has gotten sick every time we've gone there. He goes to lots of other mall play areas and we only have this problem in Towson. Needless to say, we don't go there anymore.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#6 of 10 Old 07-10-2010, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by womancaredoula View Post
I also encountered stroller unfriendliness at the inner harbor this week. Most of the entrances to the two pavilions were steps only - no ramp unless you entered through a store or restaurant. Double doors all over the place with no automatic door opening. Navigating from one floor to the other involves hunting down the lone elevator.
I have totally had this problem, too. I hate going there for that reason. The water-stinginess thing really bothers me, also.
#7 of 10 Old 07-10-2010, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by russsk View Post
I really dislike Tiny Town. It's totally in the armpit of the mall, ridiculously difficult to get to. Since it's enclosed it's stuffy and loud in there and you feel like a pariah. I don't know if it isn't well ventilated or not cleaned very often, but DS has gotten sick every time we've gone there. He goes to lots of other mall play areas and we only have this problem in Towson. Needless to say, we don't go there anymore.
I DID feel like a pariah! It was like they went out of their way to *hide* all those noisy annoying kids! hat is, whichever were lucky enough to be able to find the place!

I decided it was because moms like me going there to get some a/c and playtime weren't going to spend lots of money-- we brought our own beverages and bought one large ice cream to share!

Anyway, I got sick, too, after going there. I havea monster cold and I am miserable. So we won't be going back there if I can think of any alternatives. (White Marsh Mall doesn't even have a play area.Grrr.)
#8 of 10 Old 07-13-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivamom View Post
(White Marsh Mall doesn't even have a play area.Grrr.)
It's not large, but the new Perry Hall library has a nice enclosed play area - dress up, play kitchen, leggos, etc. It's on Honeygo Blvd, just south of Forge (about 3 miles north from the mall.)

Also if the weather is OK, there's Chapel Hill Nursery nearby with a few really neat wooden play structures & farm animals to feed - & it's free! Chapel rd between Joppa & Cross rd.
#9 of 10 Old 07-15-2010, 11:25 AM

I didn't know they moved the play area at TTC...I don't go to the mall much at all, and when I do I almost always go alone because I'm on a mission to get a specific item and get out ASAP. No AC in a play area like that seems totally unacceptable, though! And I have noticed in a lot of the stores that pushing a stroller around is impossible...racks are squished extremely close together and it is always a huge hassle to try and navigate around them. That's another part of what made me start my "If I go to the mall, I go alone and get in and out as fast as possible" policy.

Quote:
Also if the weather is OK, there's Chapel Hill Nursery nearby with a few really neat wooden play structures & farm animals to feed - & it's free! Chapel rd between Joppa & Cross rd.
I've never heard of this, but we'll have to check it out! My son would love the farm animals.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#10 of 10 Old 07-16-2010, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Rosedale library has a huge play area. The only drawback is that they're really anal about only letting in kids who are under six.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page