Homeschooling- VA vs. MD - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-11-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Folks,
My family is probably moving to the DC metro area within the next few months. I have searched to find some previous threads, but not exactly what I'm looking for. Here's my question: Which state- VA or MD-is preferred for homeschooling? I have 5 children and loosely follow the Oak Meadow Curriculum mixed with TJ ed and child led learning. I prefer a hands off approach from local gov't so the less involved with my family the state is the better.

Any insight would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Amy,  organically growing 5 homeschooled sweetieshomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg5 lossesbrokenheart.gifbelly.gif due this summer!
#2 of 7 Old 07-21-2010, 12:00 PM

I think you'll be more comfortable in Virginia. I have some friends who homeschool here no problem. We have years to go before we deal with that tho. But when we first moved here, we gave Maryland a try and HATED it. Its more affordable, but for good reasons. Northern Virginia is worth every penny.
#3 of 7 Old 07-22-2010, 03:48 PM

I was homeschooled 4th grade through highschool in Montgomery county, Maryland with absolutely no problems. My mom had to meet with a homeschool monitor and take in samples of our work but they never gave her any problems.

I'm in Frederick County MD now and homeschooling my daughter. The homeschool monitor here is beyond AWESOME and is really pro homeschooling. They do require samples of the childrens work but I take in the bare minimum and she said that's all the needs to see.

I have no idea what the homeschooling situation is like in VA...I'm sure there are lots of mamas on here that will be able to help you.

Mama to DD (1/2004)  DS1 (5/2006) and DS2 (2/4/2011)

#4 of 7 Old 07-23-2010, 09:16 AM

we've had no problem homeschooling in MD. the county review system is simple and it's been no difficulty to meet with them twice a year for 45 mins. You can also join an umbrella group if you don't want to meet with the county. There are so many classes and activities for homeschoolers, it's limitless. I'm not sure about VA, but I'd guess it's similar there.
#5 of 7 Old 08-01-2010, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

I appreciate all the comments. We are leaning toward Maryland. I like the umbrella group option. We are looking at Bowie or Odenton for setting up our homestead. Any thoughts about the neighborhoods there? I saw a My Organic Market there in Bowie. We are also hoping for some farmers markets. I also have to find a list of others to find- homebirth midwife, holistic MD, holistic dentist, OMD/ acupuncturist, homeschool group and a few friends, too! I'm sure everything will fall in to place!

Amy,  organically growing 5 homeschooled sweetieshomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg5 lossesbrokenheart.gifbelly.gif due this summer!
#6 of 7 Old 08-01-2010, 09:10 AM

Hi there,
We live in Annapolis and also (very) loosely follow Oak Meadow. I have a 6 year old son and a daughter on the way next month. Are you looking for lots of land for a farm? You may want to consider southern Anne Arundel County...?
We belong to Many Paths of Natural Learning umbrella group and they make it as easy as can be. http://mpnl.org/
Good luck with your move!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#7 of 7 Old 08-02-2010, 04:42 PM

subbing....a move to Maryland may be in our future!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page