Nature-based charter school in Mont. Co (MD) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-12-2010, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi--

I'm working with a group of parents in Montgomery County to establish a new charter school in the county school system. The school would serve elementary aged children in grades K-4 to begin, and move up to K-8 within a few years. We plan to use the Enviroment as an Integrating Context (EIC) curriculum, with a majority of learning using the natural environment and surrounding community of the school.

You can learn more about the school at senecacreekcharterschool.org. There was also a recent article about us in the Gazette.

I wanted to post here because we're trying to spread the word around the county, and I thought the school might be of interest to MDC parents!

Feel free to post any questions here; I'll check back, or you can get in touch with us through the website.

Thanks!

ETA: we recently decided to include “charter” in the title of the school to more accurately reflect the type of school and the content of the curriculum. Our web address has changed (although typing in the old address will still take you to the correct site), so I changed the link above.
#2 of 8 Old 07-12-2010, 04:40 PM

Hi there,

This sounds wonderful, exactly what my husband and I would want for our boys, though both are far from school age (one is 22months and another due in October). I'm guessing this is only open to Mont. Co residents? We are currently in Howard County.

Thanks!
Emily
#3 of 8 Old 07-12-2010, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, since it would be a part of the Montgomery County school system, you would have to reside in montgomery county. I know there are other charter schools around the state (including some with an environmental focus; if you look on our website there are links); but I'm not sure if there are any in Howard County.
#4 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 06:09 PM

We're also in HoCo as as far as I know there are no charter schools in Howard county (correct me if I'm wrong). I wish there had been something like this when I grew up in Montgomery county! Do you know if it has been posted to the Woodmoor Moms listserv in Four Corners? I seem to remember a posting abotu a charter school a few months ago. I still belong from when I lived there! I could post if you'd like.

I''m curious about charter schools in HoCo, so I may start a new thread!
#5 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Koofie--No, I don't think it's been posted to that forum. Two other schools recently applied for charter status in montgomery county, so it may have been one of those two that posted there.

If you're willing to post a link to our website there, that would be great! Thank you so much. So far the response has been positive; we are just trying to spread the word as much as possible.
#6 of 8 Old 07-18-2010, 09:16 PM

very happy to see this

ds 3/06 familybed1.gif
#7 of 8 Old 07-28-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitter View Post
Koofie--No, I don't think it's been posted to that forum. Two other schools recently applied for charter status in montgomery county, so it may have been one of those two that posted there.

If you're willing to post a link to our website there, that would be great! Thank you so much. So far the response has been positive; we are just trying to spread the word as much as possible.
I reposted much of what you stated in your first post. The neighborhood down county, but I asked that they pass it along to anyone who they think might be interested. good luck! I wish we were in the area; I'd be interested for DD1 if we were in MoCo!
#8 of 8 Old 08-01-2010, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again koofie! And, to anyone who may be interested--please sign our guest book (on the website at www.senecacreeknatureschool.org and you'll receive updates on our progress about once a month.

Also, for any parents who might be interested in enrolling their children, you can sign up here. This does NOT commit you in any way; it just helps us when we submit our application to give an idea of the number of parents who would be interested in sending their children to the school.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page