So I got a list of pedis...Maryland, dc metro, etc. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-21-2010, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
but how do I go about finding out if they're open to not vaccinating? I've tried asking the office people and I just get a bunch of "but they have to!" type comments.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2010, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You could always schedule an interview & go in to see them. There's usually no charge for that.
Obviously that'll be a hassle if you have a big list, but you would know for sure.

Yeah, I remember asking the nurse at my MWs office about the gestational diabetes test (I had just transferred there from OBs). I may have said something like, "Is that really necessary?"
& she replied, "Oh yes, I'm pretty sure that's mandatory."

HCPs should never use the term "Mandatory" NOTHING IS EVER MANDATORY. (Well, OK, it could be their policy that, "You have this test or we drop you from care." But even then, they have to give 30 days notice &make sure I find another HCP or it is "patient abandonment" for which they can lose their license!! So the view that ANYTHING from a medical perspective is ever "mandatory" or "required" annoys me.

I will say that the CRNP at my pedis office said not-vaxing can be a problem if you're on medicare & they insist. Not sure if that's true - we're on private insurance through our employers. She just said, "Oh, you have private insurance, good, it's not a problem then." NEVER gave us any hassle. That's at Dr. Lazor's in Bel Air.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
You could always schedule an interview & go in to see them. There's usually no charge for that.
Obviously that'll be a hassle if you have a big list, but you would know for sure.

Yeah, I remember asking the nurse at my MWs office about the gestational diabetes test (I had just transferred there from OBs). I may have said something like, "Is that really necessary?"
& she replied, "Oh yes, I'm pretty sure that's mandatory."

HCPs should never use the term "Mandatory" NOTHING IS EVER MANDATORY. (Well, OK, it could be their policy that, "You have this test or we drop you from care." But even then, they have to give 30 days notice &make sure I find another HCP or it is "patient abandonment" for which they can lose their license!! So the view that ANYTHING from a medical perspective is ever "mandatory" or "required" annoys me.

I will say that the CRNP at my pedis office said not-vaxing can be a problem if you're on medicare & they insist. Not sure if that's true - we're on private insurance through our employers. She just said, "Oh, you have private insurance, good, it's not a problem then." NEVER gave us any hassle. That's at Dr. Lazor's in Bel Air.
Oh I agree, I was trying to explain that it's not actually "required" but she was dense. Lol. I guess I could narrow it down to those who take our insurance (tricare) and go from there? I've heard of a few though who used to be open to not vaxing but have since changed their policies. *sigh*

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

Old 07-22-2010, 11:30 AM

I have heard on several lists that you shouldn't bother asking office staff about vaxing policies. It's better to go in and talk to the Dr. about it. The % of patients that don't vax can be tied to insurance that a Dr. can accept and the office staff may not really be on the same page as the doc.

I found this true in my peds office and don't bother asking the office staff about anything out of the 'normal'.

While you're at it, you may want to also ask the ped not to send your childs information to Maryland's national vaccine registry. They automatically do unless you opt out. As far as I know, you can't even get the opt out forms on the web, you have to ask your Dr. about it.

DS September 2008 and DD September 2010
Old 07-22-2010, 02:52 PM

I don't ask permission. I just say, "oh, we don't do that. It's against our spiritual beliefs."

Doc: "well then I can't see you as a patient."

Me: "so you are discriminating against me because of my religion?"

hh2.gif

Old 07-22-2010, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
I don't ask permission. I just say, "oh, we don't do that. It's against our spiritual beliefs."

Doc: "well then I can't see you as a patient."

Me: "so you are discriminating against me because of my religion?"
I worry about if they ask what religion I practice because my religion actually doesn't have anything against it..

Old 07-22-2010, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryztuh View Post
I have heard on several lists that you shouldn't bother asking office staff about vaxing policies. It's better to go in and talk to the Dr. about it. The % of patients that don't vax can be tied to insurance that a Dr. can accept and the office staff may not really be on the same page as the doc.

I found this true in my peds office and don't bother asking the office staff about anything out of the 'normal'.

While you're at it, you may want to also ask the ped not to send your childs information to Maryland's national vaccine registry. They automatically do unless you opt out. As far as I know, you can't even get the opt out forms on the web, you have to ask your Dr. about it.
Thanks, I wish there was an actual list that was updated with good doctors listed.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:18 PM

Old 07-22-2010, 03:49 PM

to me, the best way to begin to narrow your list is to go about it the opposite way: put the list out there to likeminded friends and parents (such as here on MDC) and ask for their input on which dr's are supportive of parents making healthcare decisions for their own children. Then make meet and greet visits with those few that you get good rec's for.

you're right, the office staff generally has no clue. Even with our supportive ped (or maybe, ped who tolerates our decisions and doens't kick us out) the office staff is dumbfounded when I call to make an appt and we don't have the standard 2 mo, 4 mo, 6 mo, etc visits. And this is a place where numerous people are either non vaxing, minimal vaxing, or don't do the stardard WBV schedule.

They can't grill you on what your religious beliefs are.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
to me, the best way to begin to narrow your list is to go about it the opposite way: put the list out there to likeminded friends and parents (such as here on MDC) and ask for their input on which dr's are supportive of parents making healthcare decisions for their own children. Then make meet and greet visits with those few that you get good rec's for.

you're right, the office staff generally has no clue. Even with our supportive ped (or maybe, ped who tolerates our decisions and doens't kick us out) the office staff is dumbfounded when I call to make an appt and we don't have the standard 2 mo, 4 mo, 6 mo, etc visits. And this is a place where numerous people are either non vaxing, minimal vaxing, or don't do the stardard WBV schedule.

They can't grill you on what your religious beliefs are.
Can I get you to PM me who you see?

Thanks for the info..I'll definitely have to start narrowing this down!

Old 07-23-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post
but how do I go about finding out if they're open to not vaccinating? I've tried asking the office people and I just get a bunch of "but they have to!" type comments.
check online to see if they are DAN doctors (Defeat Autism Now). Often times they are more open to it. I went to a DAN Dr. in the beginning who asked I not repeat, but did tell me he thought the MMR was the cause of many childrens autism. He did try to get me to vaccinate for some stuff. which i refused.

now we see a family MD in Laurel/Bethesda. He is ACTUALLY fine with not vaxing. PM me if youre interested. Theres a long waiting list. He doesnt do insurance. And its $150-$250 an appt. in my experience. I wouldnt recommend taking your baby for the typical "well baby" check ups to him. Not sure what he would do. Hes more of a problem solver. But its nice to have someone to take you baby to if youre concerned about something. He's the most intelligent doctor Ive come across yet.

We didnt do well baby check ups. I weighed and measured DD myself and checked her on the charts. She probably needed a doctor 3 times in 3 years. 1. for rotavirus (took her to the ER for fluids- better in 24 hours), 2. ear infection (took her to the DAN pedi for amox.), 3. potential milk allergy (which he diagnosed and with 2 months off milk, she is insanely better!)

Lauren , DH , DD 02/2007 and expecting #2 (12/7/10)! We
Old 07-23-2010, 09:16 PM

I will say that we used to use Watson-Saulsbury Pediatrics and they believe firmly in vaxxing on schedule. Just, FYI.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:44 AM

My pedi is open to selective vax schedules. She has a new partner and I have not gotten a feel for her yet, but I know the main doctor in Clarksburg (can't spell her name!) is fine with selective. It is Clarksburg Pediatrics.

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
Old 07-25-2010, 09:30 PM

Dr Razi in Georgetown believes in vaccinating, but she also feels its the parents decision in the end. She doesn't accept insurance however and charges $150+ per session.

Our pediatrician is pro-vaxxing and tells scare stories sometimes (he's a real talker), but he's fine with selective/delayed vaccinations. Dr. Robert Dickey. I like him though, plus he's pro-homebirthing and BFing. My midwife recommended him and he bragged to everyone in the waiting room two days after my daughter was born that she's never stepped foot in a hospital.

First-time mama due on Dec 3rd 2009!
Update: Baby girl born Nov 19th!
Old 07-25-2010, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dr Susan Prevas in Towson was our ped for years and didn't give us a hard time about not vax'ing.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 07-31-2010, 02:09 PM

I am returning this thread. I had to delete several posts.

Please remember to follow the Forum Guidelines when posting.

Thanks!

tinybutterfly

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Old 08-03-2010, 05:47 PM

we see dr richard jones at capitol medical group. while he is pro-vacc, he is open to whatever the parent wants to do ( flex vacc schedule, co-sleeping). the office is pro-breastfeeding and has 2 lactaion consultants on the staff.

ds 3/06 familybed1.gif
Old 08-09-2010, 07:53 PM

We see Dr. Melvin Stern in Highland. He does believe in vaccines, but he does a slightly altered vax schedule to begin with, so he is open to alternate schedules and skipping some here and there. I've never heard anyone unhappy with him, and we have referred quite a few families to him after being referred to him ourselves. He also is VERY pro breastfeeding, even congratulating me for nursing my older one in his office when she was 2.5.

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
Old 08-15-2010, 04:54 PM

we also see melvin stern (thanks to katylinda!) and love him. he is totally supportive about our dd's celiac causing her seizures (although her neurologists were skeptical) and he didn't bat an eye when we turned down chicken pox vax, he even agreed that it really isn't a serious disease and it is better for them to get the pox than to be vaxed. we vax for everything else, but he is really supportive, even assumes, that parents are going to educate themselves and be able to discuss their childrens health, not just follwoign what he says. the first time we met him, he told us that WE, as parents, are responsible for our children's health care decisions, he is there to advise and inform, but that it is up to the parents to decide how to treat our children. he only makes health care decision for children named stern. of all of the peds we had been through ( and i think he was number 5 by then) he was the first to say that and was surprised that other peds don't treat their patients that way. anyway, i could go on, but i really like him alot and would highly reccomend him to anyone looking for a ped in the howard county/ne montgomery county area.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post
I worry about if they ask what religion I practice because my religion actually doesn't have anything against it..
Isn't asking someone about his religion against the constitution? I think that there is some legal protection against it and you just don't have to reveal it to Anybody.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:45 PM

I highly recommend our doctor (who accepts Tricare) in Upper Marlboro, PM me for specifics if you're interested

Melissa-Proud AP, SAHM, Navy wife, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, positive disciplining, educated vaxing, momma to my little firecracker, Hayden (7/4/07) and my preemie prince, Cohen (6/25/10-born at 30 weeks)

User Tag List