Homebirth transfers - how to and where to - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 11 Old 08-03-2010, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
 
MrsTani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Owings Mills, MD
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am planning a HBAC for my second baby's birth in November, and I have been wondering about hospital transfers - how to do it and where to do it. I have heard that MD General has a good MW practice but I don't know if they'd be open to accepting a HB transfer from a DEM (not KC). The hospital closest to me is Sinai so I guess if I had to transfer for emergency I could go there but I am not sure... I could really use some suggestions. My MWs are not local to the area. I really wanted to use Evelyn's practice for my HBAC but she was booked for November. (Snow storm.) Anyway, please reply as comfortable or feel free to PM me. Thanks!
MrsTani is offline  
#2 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 10:19 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: anywhere
Posts: 1,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not 100% accurate on this, but I believe that no hospital will allow your midwife to help birth at the hospital once you are transferred. You can go to a hospital with a midwife practice. I don't know if they will let you use the midwives there or use an OB if it's an emergency situation, but if your midwife goes with you, they can't act in a midwife capacity. If you want to use MD general, I would call and ask first how they would handle it. I am not sure if they would tell you, but you could ask.

This is what I got when I asked the ICAN leader, so I could have remembered it wrong.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
closedaccount15 is offline  
#3 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 03:14 PM
 
MegBoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My midwife, Karen Webster, says she has transferred to Upper Chesapeake without problems. I had my DS there & really liked the midwives & liked the one OB I met as well.

Of course, as Lillymonster noted, your MW can't act as your MW - but then again, I would imagine even if she was not a DEM, but a CNM or even an MD, she couldn't act as your MW there anyway unless she has "privledges" at that hospital. I mentioned "transferring without problems" just to mean that the staff isn't treating the mama & MW with hostility.

I also wondered about transferring into the care of the MWs or OBs. My initial thought is that if you're transferring, it's because something has gone wrong & therefore OB care might be warranted. (Unless it's just lengthy labor & you want an epidural, in which case you could still be in the care of the MWs.) But I don't know what the policy is.
MegBoz is offline  
#4 of 11 Old 08-05-2010, 11:50 AM
 
homewithtwinsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will say that Sinai is rabidly anti-home birth and we avoid transport there as much as possible!
homewithtwinsmama is offline  
#5 of 11 Old 08-06-2010, 01:24 PM
 
MegBoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post
I will say that Sinai is rabidly anti-home birth and we avoid transport there as much as possible!
Is it safe to say that the hospitals which are good for NCB are also decent for transport? For example, I would never, as a healthy woman, birth at GBMC or Hopkins, so I'm wondering if they are also just as bad for transfers.
MegBoz is offline  
#6 of 11 Old 08-12-2010, 04:50 PM
 
secondimpression's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
Is it safe to say that the hospitals which are good for NCB are also decent for transport? For example, I would never, as a healthy woman, birth at GBMC or Hopkins, so I'm wondering if they are also just as bad for transfers.
I would not assume this at all! Although I sure hope homewithtwinsmama can come back to say that I was an exception

I transferred to Mercy with DS at 9.5cm and pushing, no medical issues or complications other than that my XH was freaked out and thus, I was freaked out. The on-call OB was a high risk pelvic surgeon (the last person you want attending after planning a UC!). I know there's tons of controversy about Mercy being NCB friendly but horrible with PP care but I recieved equally horrific "care" during delivery. I really do believe it was punishment for attempting a homebirth, the treatment I recieved was that bad. The only tiny silver lining was that most of the nurses were sympathetic.
secondimpression is offline  
#7 of 11 Old 11-30-2010, 04:10 PM
 
BirthWithFaith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

First of all, your midwife will transport to the closest hospital if there is a time-sensitive issue.  That aside, there is a hospital in Pennsylvania that actually encourages homebirth transports - Holy Spirit in Harrisburg, PA.  It is a hike but I've personally been encouraged by their attendants at the recent Midwifery Today conference to tell midwives/clients to "bring homebirth transports to us".  As well as, "bring your VBAC and your twins and your breeches to us".  They "get it". 

 

You want the homebirth mom and her midwife (legal or not) to feel comfortable transporting because that is how you keep birth safe.  When you make mothers and midwives fear transport, it means more risks will be taken.  I think it always depends on truly the personalities and openness of the OB that is on-call that night to receive you at the hospital.  Sometimes, they are truly wonderful, understanding, non-judgmental and caring and so are the nurses.  Obviously, some OBs do literally punish homebirth transports and do unnecessary procedures, roughly and even demand c/s when vaginal birth is still possible. 

 

Until we as a birth community demand our hospitals to be friendly to homebirth midwives and encourage transports, then it will continue to be the same.  I'm so super jealous of other countries, jurisdictions where there is a relationship between doctors and midwives that helps to keep homebirth safe for the mother and baby because there is trust, continuity of care and respect.  :)  This is needed for CNMs, CPMs and DEMs all over the country.

BirthWithFaith is offline  
#8 of 11 Old 12-01-2010, 01:51 PM
 
Healthy_Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Amen! JeskaMW2B clap.gif


Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)
 
 

Healthy_Baby is offline  
#9 of 11 Old 12-29-2010, 09:24 AM
 
mysticmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 6,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just wanted to add that St. Joes is a gem that doesn't often get the acknowledgment it deserves. They treated me with iv fluids and compassionate care during my pregnancy even though I refused to name my midwife (CPM). I'd come in on an "ER" basis and they were always kind and helpful. While I was there I learned about several OB's that wait to schedule sections until after the EDD, especially for breech babies. Lastly, when my cousin (on a methadone maint. program) was seeking a birthing place (she wanted a repeat section) I called St. Joes to find out how they treat the newborn. Some hospitals (Upper Chesapeake for sure) automatically take baby to the nicu and put them on a morphine or phenobarb drip. Since only 50% of babies born to moms on methadone need treatment, that means a lot of babies are being removed from their mothers and treated with heavy duty drugs for no reason. At St. Joes, baby stays with mom until symptoms arise, and then they have several steps of treatment before morphine and never use phenobarb (which is good because it doesn't treat the withdrawl/pain it just stops it from causing seizures). She ended up delivering there and said it was wonderful. She's a young mom (19 at this babies birth) and this was her second baby. She was on methadone and most people just treated her like an uniformed loser, assuming she was stupid. She was so happy with her care. They treated her and her baby like humans, and most of all they treated her like the mother that she is.


hh2.gif

mysticmomma is offline  
#10 of 11 Old 02-21-2011, 01:09 PM
 
Tryamour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm so glad to hear good things about St. Joe's regarding transfers! I'm planning a homebirth and I hope that if I need a transfer I'll be taken care of and not snubbed. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post

I just wanted to add that St. Joes is a gem that doesn't often get the acknowledgment it deserves. They treated me with iv fluids and compassionate care during my pregnancy even though I refused to name my midwife (CPM). I'd come in on an "ER" basis and they were always kind and helpful. While I was there I learned about several OB's that wait to schedule sections until after the EDD, especially for breech babies. Lastly, when my cousin (on a methadone maint. program) was seeking a birthing place (she wanted a repeat section) I called St. Joes to find out how they treat the newborn. Some hospitals (Upper Chesapeake for sure) automatically take baby to the nicu and put them on a morphine or phenobarb drip. Since only 50% of babies born to moms on methadone need treatment, that means a lot of babies are being removed from their mothers and treated with heavy duty drugs for no reason. At St. Joes, baby stays with mom until symptoms arise, and then they have several steps of treatment before morphine and never use phenobarb (which is good because it doesn't treat the withdrawl/pain it just stops it from causing seizures). She ended up delivering there and said it was wonderful. She's a young mom (19 at this babies birth) and this was her second baby. She was on methadone and most people just treated her like an uniformed loser, assuming she was stupid. She was so happy with her care. They treated her and her baby like humans, and most of all they treated her like the mother that she is.



Tryamour is offline  
#11 of 11 Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 AM
 
mysticmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 6,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hope you don't need them!

 


hh2.gif

mysticmomma is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off