MD General midwives - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-07-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am thinking of switching midwife practices. My current midwife practice I think I am having doubts about. Everything has been cool except at my first appt. the midwife said that if I go past 41 weeks, the OBs would want to induce me. I thought it was odd since I was a vbac, but I thought she just forgot.

So asked the second midwife who never gave a concrete answer. Which scares me. I don't want to continue without a solid answer to what happens if they think I am "overdue" since I had that problem with my first OB, especially being a vbac.

I haven't heard much birth stories about MD general, but I am intrigued by the lowest c-section rate. Has anyone given birth or been there during a birth?

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#2 of 5 Old 08-09-2010, 08:55 AM

I had a similar post up a while back ago about Maryland General and their midwives and no one responded. I am currently with Kathy Slone and associates and will birth with Mercy. You are right M.G. is number 2 for lowest c-section rate and I hear their midwives are fantastic through a doula I had spoken with who does a lot of births there as well as other places. I know Maryland General I think has a few more rules in terms of "natural" birth, but I dont know all the ins and outs of it. I'm not sure about induction for a VBAC if you are late. Sorry I couldn't be more help to you. I hope you get some answers.
#3 of 5 Old 08-19-2010, 03:24 AM

I did HB, but did parallel care with MD General. I was pg with twins. Other practices were adamant that they were going to induce me no later than 37 weeks. MD General was pushing me to make it to 38 weeks which I did. I stopped going to my appointments there at 37 weeks. At that point, I was comfortable that all was going well. My appointments began to get a bit strange. They would keep me there for many hours and do every test possible. They never pushed me to induce, but they seemed totally baffled that a twin momma would not be showing any signs of going into labor.

They may be worth talking to. I'm not sure if the CNMs get to deliver in the case of VBAC. In the case of twins, the OBs were in charge. I wasn't quite as impressed with the OBs as I was with the CNMs.
#4 of 5 Old 08-19-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post
Ithe midwife said that if I go past 41 weeks, the OBs would want to induce me.
I think the way she phrased this is really key. (If those were indeed her exact words.)
She didn't say, "You will be induced."
She didn't say, "We will want to induce you."
She didn't say, "You should be induced."

Because she said, "The OBs will want to induce you," she could ALSO be communicating to you, "But I don't personally agree with it."

That's exactly what one of my MWs did at Upper Chesapeake. Their policy is when you hit 41W, twice-weekly NST + AFI. Then routine induction if you make it to 42W. She was doing my 2nd AFI when I was there at 41W3D & she said, "So are you going to let us induce you on Monday?" (When I'd be 42W 0D).

Before I could even reply, she says, "I went to 43W with one of mine and it was fine." with a very chill sorta tone like that was the end of the discussion.

Again, note that she said, "So are you going to let us?" Not, "You need to go schedule your induction."
& the fact that she said "and it was fine" tells me she personally disagrees with routine induction at 42W.

I have to respect the fact that she has to follow "hospital protocols" to a certain degree - but I ADORE HER for the fact that she "told" me, in so many words, that she disagrees. & she reinforced the fact that she understands this is my decision.

So, just something to bear in mind. Sorry, I don't know tons about MD General in particular. But a HCP who phrases things like that instead of phrasing things as if they were simply undeniable fact, ("We need to induce you.") is a great thing, in my book.

How much "oversight" do the OBs really have on the MWs? I asked mine that at first & she said I'd never see an OB at all unless something went wrong. That was the case for me.

Another friend of mine was pushing over 2 hours & somehow the on-call OB knew that & was sticking his head in (maybe saying things like 'vacuum' or "CS"). The MW actually chased him out saying, "He's crowning, get out!" (A TOTAL LIE - again, love those chicks.)

So while hospital-based MWs do have to 'play nice' with OBs & hospital policies to a certain extent, they also can support & 'protect' us too. IF your MWs are the kind, like mine, to support your autonomous decision making & protect you from unwanted OB oversight, then that's a big point in their favor. Just because OBs may want to interfere, I wouldn't hold it against the MWs too much.
#5 of 5 Old 08-19-2010, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
I think the way she phrased this is really key. (If those were indeed her exact words.)
She didn't say, "You will be induced."
She didn't say, "We will want to induce you."
She didn't say, "You should be induced."

Because she said, "The OBs will want to induce you," she could ALSO be communicating to you, "But I don't personally agree with it."
Thanks for that - she said "the obs will want to induce" Then I asked the other one if I would be induced by the OBs past 40 weeks and she said something like "we have to see" and shrugged her shoulders

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page