Homebirth in Elkton, MD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-20-2010, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Ladies I'm 15 weeks pregnant with baby #4, and I'm suddenly single. My first birth was an unnecessary Cesarean (midwife birth gone wrong.) I delivered my next two at home, unassisted, with my husband of 12 years as my birth partner. One birth was in DE. The other was in PA.

I've been having regular prenatal care through an OBGYN here in MD, simply because the Medicaid covers it and I've been a bit insecure during this pregnancy, considering all that I've been through. I have NO intention of delivering in a hospital whatsoever. I WAS going to use the OB as my back up plan "just in case," until she informed me that the hospital she delivers at (Union) does NOT allow VBAC's! I didn't realize hospitals in this day and age could still be so outdated.

Anyway, honestly, I'm nervous about delivering this baby at home, completely unassisted. I don't have a partner anymore. No close friends. No family. It's just me and my three kids. My labors tend to be long (24+ hours) and painful. I don't know how I will make it through the entire thing alone, and watching my kids.

I've been looking into homebirth midwives, but apparently homebirthing with a midwife is illegal here! I did find one midwife, Karen Webster, but she has not replied to any of my e-mails or calls to her home phone and cell phone.

I just found another (Laura, I believe, from Sunrise Midwife, or something similar.) She does do homebirths here, but doesn't accept Medicaid. Since I'm Medicaid eligible, she will drop my fee to $2700. I'd need to give her a $500 deposit up front then pay about $100 per week for the remainder of the pregnancy. I can't afford that. I'm barely managing food, bills, and school supplies as it is.

So, that seems to leave me with one choice: to deliver this baby at home, completely alone, with my three children present.

Any other ideas? Suggestions? Please.
#2 of 14 Old 08-20-2010, 04:53 PM

A CPM is considered illegal, but a CNM is not. Mine is driving in from Virginia and I know there is one in Baltimore that are CNMs. There are several CPMs running around as well.

I would consider hiring a doula. They are cheaper than midwives and can help you in whatever way you need (since you have done 2 unassisted already - I think you need more doula support than a midwife). A doula could also help you navigate how to do all this and resources in your area.

You are going to have to figure out something with the kids either way you go. A hospital is not going to let them in the OR and someone will need to watch them if you had a c-section while you recover. Is there family that can travel? Can their dad take them during the time you are expecting to deliver (although is sounds like things did not end well, so to speak)?

I think you need to start building a support system for yourself. Is there a AP group near you? Le Leche group? Are you near Baltimore (there is a HMN group that just started there)?

I am so sorry you are doing this alone. That sounds unbelievably hard.

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#3 of 14 Old 08-20-2010, 05:10 PM

First off, congrats on your pregnancy!
But second, I'm sorry you're now without birth assistance.

I'm also sorry Karen Webster has been non-responsive. That's kinda weird. She's my MW (I'm 10W now) & I emailed her through the "contact us" page on her website & she replied within a day. She's always replied to emails within a day or 2 since then. She's really sweet & dedicated to midwifery, so I can't imagine her totally not responding to an inquiry! Even if she just can't help you for some reason, I would think she'd still REPLY somehow. Any way you could chalk-up the emails to technical difficult & try calling again? Mention on the voicemail that you've emailed with no reply, (and you therefore suspect your emails aren't getting through) so she knows to get on the ball & call back!

Although I will say she's one of the most expensive HB MWs in the area - significantly more than Anni.

As for CNMs, there is another one who recently moved here from California:
Anni Rodriguez, Homebirth midwife
Phone: 916-600-2491 (still has her CA cell #)
Email: WithWomanBirth@yahoo.com
Baltimore area, Southern PA area
Travels to your home for all visits

The other Baltimore-area CNM is Evelyn Mulhan, but she does prenatals at her office in Catonsville which would probably be like a 90 min drive for you each way. I personally would choose Upper Chesapeake over 3 hours round trip for every prenatal! (I'm not sure of other options based in the southern PA area.)

Have you considered Upper Chesapeake in Bel Air? It would be about a 30 min drive from Elkton - not too bad. & they have an office in Havre de Grace you could go to for prenatals. (Births are only at Upper Ches though.) The Baltimore ICAN leader, Barbara Stratton, mentioned to me that it's actually one of the best in the area for VBAC! To the extent that she recommends mamas from Columbia drive an hour to go there. I had my DS there with the MWs & really liked them. Very good hospital.

I can imagine that after successful UCs, hospital birth doesn't sound appealing, but really they are fantastic there! As good as you can get. (They have tubs to labor in, although you can only labor there - no water birth.)

Best of luck to you!!!
#4 of 14 Old 08-20-2010, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both! I've sent an e-mail to the above link.
#5 of 14 Old 08-23-2010, 03:44 PM

I had my son at home with Evelyn Muhlhan,Nurse-Midwife, (RN, BSN, CNM, CHT, MS) with Alternative Birth Choices in Catonsville, MD:

http://www.altbirthchoices.com
4 East Rolling Crossroads, Suite 207
Catonsville, MD 21228
410-455-9659

I loved every minute and felt so secure in her care. She was wonderful! There is a lot of info about her and her experience on the site, as well as online. The entire service from beginning to finish was $4,000.

So sorry to hear you're going through such a rough time!

Jasmine
Happy Hippie Mamma to Kai Nolyn (Nov 28, 2007) and Reef Wallace (Born at Home Nov 27, 2009)
#6 of 14 Old 08-23-2010, 04:54 PM

Evelyn takes medical assistance as well so if you're really looking for someone with insurance coverage, she'd be your best bet.

Anni isn't a CNM... she's a licensed nurse midwife (in CA) which I beleive in MD is still illegal. I know she couldn't handle my birth cert stuff when I was under her care, only a CNM can. From what I remember, she can't process medical assistance either.

I'm working with Joey Pascarella... She doesn't take medicaid but she was willing to barter and work payments with us so she may be willing to work with you. She is down in Southern MD (her office location is in Waldorf) but it's worth the hour drive for me... I've been very happy with her care and level of attentiveness.

As for KW, I had a similar response... Or lack thereof. A friend of mine had used her up until she had to transfer care and she wasn't overly thrilled if I recall.

Have you tried KC? I forget where she's located but she told me she could process medicaid and was willing to work payment with us as well. She just wasn't my fit for a MW so we chose to go with someone else.

You have some options still.. Going into a birth unassisted just because you HAVE to isn't the best reasoning. We contemplated a UC this time but because we couldn't find a MW to work with us on the financial aspect.

Good luck!

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#7 of 14 Old 08-23-2010, 07:53 PM

Just to clarify, Anni R. does not have a current CNM license, however she was trained as and did have one in the past. She worked in California where you could have a Licensed Midwife credential and she let the CNM lapse because she never expected to practice outside of CA and having the LM worked for her there and was a lot cheaper and easier on the paperwork, etc. She is actually working on the requirements and re-sitting for her boards to reactivate her CNM last I heard, but that will take time. If it's qualifications you are worried about, she is very qualified.
#8 of 14 Old 08-23-2010, 09:04 PM

That wasn't how it was explained to me... I apologize if my information was incorrect. It was explained to me that she was only a licensed midwife. Again, I apologize for any misinformation.

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#9 of 14 Old 08-26-2010, 01:53 PM

Yes, only CNMs licensed with the state can register births. This will only change if we can finally get our state to legalize and license our CPMs. If you want to get involved with that effort visit www.MarylandMidwives.com for more info!! It's embarrassing that our neighboring CPMs in other states can file birth certificates but we cannot. Maryland is behind the times!! Our CPMs are providing excellent midwifery care especially to parts of the state where there is no one else providing obstretrical care to women of Maryland. We need our CPMs. It's about time they got the respect they deserve and are allowed to register births!

#10 of 14 Old 09-16-2010, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sattygirl99 View Post
Have you tried KC? I forget where she's located but she told me she could process medicaid and was willing to work payment with us as well.
Just chiming in here. I don't think KC can bill for Medicaid but she can bill for any PPOs.

Evelyn, if you have the correct Medicaid provider, can bill 100% to Medicaid, minus her fee for a birth assistant, which was like $500, maybe??

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#11 of 14 Old 09-17-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post
Just chiming in here. I don't think KC can bill for Medicaid but she can bill for any PPOs.

Evelyn, if you have the correct Medicaid provider, can bill 100% to Medicaid, minus her fee for a birth assistant, which was like $500, maybe??
It's $650 and yes we do work with the state health plan but you have to choose United Healthcare if you want home birth.
#12 of 14 Old 10-05-2010, 02:46 PM

Hey! Homebirth with a midwife is not illegeal for YOU, it may be for the midwife depending if she is lic in the state or not.

Karen isnt very good about repsonding to emails in a timely manner, call her.
Right now she is booking into May. She was also on vacation recently. She stays pretty busy.

Laura is my midwife for my current pregnancy. Im paying out of pocket, praying for reimbursement.

I do know of one good OB that Karen uses as her unoffical back up, Beth Schubert and she has a great CNM in her practice named Emily something.

When are you due?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelle78 View Post
Hey Ladies I'm 15 weeks pregnant with baby #4, and I'm suddenly single. My first birth was an unnecessary Cesarean (midwife birth gone wrong.) I delivered my next two at home, unassisted, with my husband of 12 years as my birth partner. One birth was in DE. The other was in PA.

I've been having regular prenatal care through an OBGYN here in MD, simply because the Medicaid covers it and I've been a bit insecure during this pregnancy, considering all that I've been through. I have NO intention of delivering in a hospital whatsoever. I WAS going to use the OB as my back up plan "just in case," until she informed me that the hospital she delivers at (Union) does NOT allow VBAC's! I didn't realize hospitals in this day and age could still be so outdated.

Anyway, honestly, I'm nervous about delivering this baby at home, completely unassisted. I don't have a partner anymore. No close friends. No family. It's just me and my three kids. My labors tend to be long (24+ hours) and painful. I don't know how I will make it through the entire thing alone, and watching my kids.

I've been looking into homebirth midwives, but apparently homebirthing with a midwife is illegal here! I did find one midwife, Karen Webster, but she has not replied to any of my e-mails or calls to her home phone and cell phone.

I just found another (Laura, I believe, from Sunrise Midwife, or something similar.) She does do homebirths here, but doesn't accept Medicaid. Since I'm Medicaid eligible, she will drop my fee to $2700. I'd need to give her a $500 deposit up front then pay about $100 per week for the remainder of the pregnancy. I can't afford that. I'm barely managing food, bills, and school supplies as it is.

So, that seems to leave me with one choice: to deliver this baby at home, completely alone, with my three children present.

Any other ideas? Suggestions? Please.

Herbalist.Doula.Photographer. 
Euphoric Birth, Euphoric Herbals, Euphoric Photography

#13 of 14 Old 10-31-2012, 07:26 AM

I know this thread is long since dead, but I'm hoping that Tinkerbelle78 will somehow get this, or someone that can answer the question will see it.

Tinkerbelle78, you mentioned that you had an unassisted birth in DE. I was wondering what the requirements were for getting the birth certificate. I have been searching the internet for DAYS to get some info on it and haven't even seen an inkling of someone who might have that information, much less the info itself. I would love to hear from you. Thank you

#14 of 14 Old 11-02-2012, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asailorgirl View Post

Tinkerbelle78, you mentioned that you had an unassisted birth in DE. I was wondering what the requirements were for getting the birth certificate. I have been searching the internet for DAYS to get some info on it and haven't even seen an inkling of someone who might have that information, much less the info itself. I would love to hear from you. Thank you

You may also want to post in the "Unassisted Childbirth" forum - I'm sure those ladies have a lot to say about how to get birth certificates for their little ones. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page