open minded pediatrician and OBGYN in silver spring MD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2010, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi! we just moved to silver spring MD and am looking for some good referrals:

looking for an open minded pediatrician... we do selective/delayed vaxing.

also need an OBGYN that delivers at Holy Cross Hospital. i would prefer a woman and someone that won't shoot me into the operating room for a C-section at the first convenient moment. i am about 6 months preggo with #3.

would love any other area suggestions... CSA's, farmers markets, mom's groups... i live in the 20901 area.

THANKS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

I would REALLY love to get some referals for at least a pediatrician in the silver spring area. I picked an office near me just to get my daughter's health form filled out before she starts school tomorrow and they are being incredibly cold and unhelpful to me regarding our choice to do selective vaccines.

i asked if they administer thimerisol-free vaccines and the doc told me that "ALL vaccines in the USA have been thimerisol free since 2001... except for a few flu vaccines which we don't 'typically' give here in the office."

is that true? why would a doctor flat out say that ALL vaccines are thimerisol free in the USA for the last decade when they obviously aren't??

any referrals for non-vax/selective vax FRIENDLY pediatrician would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:48 PM
HRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhudson33 View Post
hi! we just moved to silver spring MD and am looking for some good referrals:

looking for an open minded pediatrician... we do selective/delayed vaxing.

also need an OBGYN that delivers at Holy Cross Hospital. i would prefer a woman and someone that won't shoot me into the operating room for a C-section at the first convenient moment. i am about 6 months preggo with #3.

would love any other area suggestions... CSA's, farmers markets, mom's groups... i live in the 20901 area.

THANKS!!
I used to live in the 20902 area code. At the time, there was a great moms group at the Maternity Center in Bethesda, but I believe that they are no longer doing deliveries there, so I don't know if the mom's group is defunct. i also really liked the Kensington LLL meeting.

A great place to shop was MOM (My Organic Market) on Rockville Pike (a lot cheaper than Whole Foods). Downtown Silver Spring and downtown Kensington both had farmers markets. though at the time, they weren't very big.

I loved the store Catch Can in kensington for kids wooden toys and good Birkenstocks and Danksos (some kids clothes too). I shopped for slings at www.iwearbaby.com. it is out of a mom's home in VA and you try on before buying.

I can't help with doctors too much b/c we were military at the time. But I used an EXCELLENT homeopath there (he's sort of infamous) that helped us get through croup and a DO that did cranial sacral therapy. He wasn't very child friendly (the DO), but he worked on me while PG and did labor inductions via acupuncture.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:34 AM

I had a really great experience with Dr. Nicole DeQuattro at Capital Womens Care. They practice at the phyicians office building at Holy Cross. Although midwives can't deliver at Holy Cross, Sheila Bennett has also been amazing.

My daughter was almost 10lbs and at NO POINT was I ever told "well, you might need a C because..." etc. Dr. DeQuattro let me labor down to the point where it took literally 20 min to push her out, and this was after midnight on a FRIDAY (well, Saturday.) No hurrying, it was a quiet, respectful birth, and she was just wonderful. I've liked most of the drs at that practice, but her especially.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:52 PM
p.s

Hi:
not sure where you exactly live... we live in the 20910 on the ChCh side, so for us the downtown Farmer's market on Fenton and Whole Foods are approx 3-4 min drive. There may be a market closer to you, since they really are all over the DC area.
We buy almost all of our fruits and veggies from the farmer's market. There is a CSA, Spiral Path Farm, which is excellently priced. We don't do it b/c I like to choose my own veggies, but I do like their stand for heirloom tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, etc. There are also meat farms, a dairy guy with yogurt (the honey one is very good) and cheeses (mozzarella -very good, creme fraiche, etc). There is also a cheese farmer: goat, blue, aged, etc. A couple of flower stands. A couple of bakeries. A french patisserie on wheels- good maccarons, chocolate pistachio pain, etc.
We like the bread from Spring Mill in Bethesda; amazing crumb; they mill their own flour. Or else we get the day old bread $2.50 from the bread stand at the farmer's market. They have your usual gourmet-y types of bread, plus some more. My kids like one that is whole wheat based with buttermilk, honey. Whole Foods also has a good selection. There is also Pitango, which has delicious gelatos and is very liberal with their samples. Kind of expensive, but really worth it considering the flavor. We like the cinnamon, strawberry, chocolate, and black tea. I also like the mango and mojito.
For meats, I think the market is kind of expensive, so we get from Whole Foods--- whatever is on sale. I tailor our meals to whatever is on sale, and usualy only buy the meats that are 1 d specials... like $9 off chilean sea bass, or $2.99 local ground beef.

i know there is a SS listserve, though I'm not on it and don't know how active it is.

if you are interested in cheap but healthy/good restaurant, LMK and i'll reply. honestly, i've gone from rarely eating out to we eat out ALOT now b/c there are so many good places, at good prices.... literally minutes from our door. That, plus the free museums, plus Rock creek park / C&O trail, can keep you busy all weekend long.
Welcome to the area!
Old 09-21-2010, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.s View Post
Hi:
not sure where you exactly live... we live in the 20910 on the ChCh side, so for us the downtown Farmer's market on Fenton and Whole Foods are approx 3-4 min drive. There may be a market closer to you, since they really are all over the DC area.
We buy almost all of our fruits and veggies from the farmer's market. There is a CSA, Spiral Path Farm, which is excellently priced. We don't do it b/c I like to choose my own veggies, but I do like their stand for heirloom tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, etc. There are also meat farms, a dairy guy with yogurt (the honey one is very good) and cheeses (mozzarella -very good, creme fraiche, etc). There is also a cheese farmer: goat, blue, aged, etc. A couple of flower stands. A couple of bakeries. A french patisserie on wheels- good maccarons, chocolate pistachio pain, etc.
We like the bread from Spring Mill in Bethesda; amazing crumb; they mill their own flour. Or else we get the day old bread $2.50 from the bread stand at the farmer's market. They have your usual gourmet-y types of bread, plus some more. My kids like one that is whole wheat based with buttermilk, honey. Whole Foods also has a good selection. There is also Pitango, which has delicious gelatos and is very liberal with their samples. Kind of expensive, but really worth it considering the flavor. We like the cinnamon, strawberry, chocolate, and black tea. I also like the mango and mojito.
For meats, I think the market is kind of expensive, so we get from Whole Foods--- whatever is on sale. I tailor our meals to whatever is on sale, and usualy only buy the meats that are 1 d specials... like $9 off chilean sea bass, or $2.99 local ground beef.

i know there is a SS listserve, though I'm not on it and don't know how active it is.

if you are interested in cheap but healthy/good restaurant, LMK and i'll reply. honestly, i've gone from rarely eating out to we eat out ALOT now b/c there are so many good places, at good prices.... literally minutes from our door. That, plus the free museums, plus Rock creek park / C&O trail, can keep you busy all weekend long.
Welcome to the area!
thank you so much for the info! we live right near the forest glen metro. so downtown ss isn't too far for us at all. i will look into all of those options (haven't made it to the market yet, but plan to! ). i shop at trader joes up here on colesville rd just north/east of where i live for most of my stuff. but would love to find a CSA or other option for fruits and veggies. and yes, we are always open for restaurant suggestions! thanks for the info! we really love it here thus far.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:21 PM

have you seen www.birthoptionsalliance.org? there is a good list of midwives, birth centers, doulas, etc if you're still looking. also a yahoogroup to ask for recommendations.

Im sorry you had that experience with the pediatrician. awful. most of the alternate-vax-accepting peds I'm aware of either dn't take insurance or aren't taking new patients I would love to know if there are more out there since this question comes up often!

thre are great farmer's markets in downtown silver spring, takoma park, kensington. riverdale market on thursday afternoons is a lot of fun, too!

Momma to my 4 sweet girlies
Old 09-24-2010, 11:46 PM
p.s

Patty's Place on Warren St.: this is actually only open like early morning to early afternoon M-Sat. It's in a tiny industrial park, tucked into a residential area. A true hole in the wall, serving el Salvadorean food. Our order usually sounds something like this: 7 papusas, 5 tamales, 1 horchata( to share amongst the 4 of us). I think it used to be an American Diner, but when the current owner took over, he was too cheap to change the name.

these next few are all within 5 blocks of each other:
Mr. Chicken on Georgia Ave: wonderfully roasted whole chicken and 3 family sized sides $15.95. I love this place. We go at least 1x/wk. Wonderful black beans. Fragrant rice. Yummy fried yucca. One of my favorite places for fried plantains ever.

Big Fat Greek cafe: there are 2 on Georgia within 2 blocks. We go to the one more South. Their Greek fries are a sinful indulgence ( homemade perfect fries with tzieke (sic?) sauce and herbed feta cheese. Awesome gyros, etc. All their desserts though are too sweet ( coming from someone who halves sugar in recipes.)

Negril Jamaican restaurant on Thayer: jerked chicken, chicken roti, meat loaf- which is actually Jamaican pulled pork (meat) baked inside a large coconut bun (loaf). Anything with their own homemade coconut bread is yummy. Their rice is very good, cooked with coconut juice. Very good soups. We often get a slice of their homemade carrot cake to share among the 4 of us: not too sweet, lots and lots of carrot, very moist, homemade cream cheese icing.

Thai grocery store a few steps from Negril has a small takeout/ eat in section. This place is truly a greasy spoon. But tasty and cheap. Their meat on a stick is very good, very moist.

Ghar E kabob off of Georgia for Indian.
Oriental East off of East West for dim sum. Best dim sum in area. Silver Fountain in Rockville is actually better (although you probably wouldn't even notice unless you're Chinese) and and in a classier restaurant, fancy enough for receptions.... but is 20 min north. Be prepared for long waits (at Oriental East).

for homestyle Chinese meals: PJ's in Wheaton mall on the Silver Spring border and Wong Gee on University just off of Georgia. Both are excellently priced. Especially the arrive before 3pm (PJ) or 6 pm (Wong Gee) and get family soup, 3 entree for $18.95. PJ's roasts their own peanuts for appetizer ( when you sit down, you get a bowl).
We usually get salt pepper pork chops, grouper, sweet potato greens at Wong Gee. Actually anything off both menus is really good.

for desserts: Cakelove on Fenton. I have baked ALOT since the age of 5. To the point that I bake alot without recipes. And I think baking a cake is EASY. But I would still spend the large amount of money for cakes from Cakelove. They are that good.

Rays the Classics on Colesville just off of Georgia is supposed to be the best place for steaks. We drive by every few days but haven't stopped. I find cheaper than eating out steak.... buy the Wagyu beef or rib eye from Balducci's (in Bethesda's Wildwood Center) when on sale and grill ourselves.

well, that's a good start and I have to do stuff around the house now. Bon appetit!
Old 09-25-2010, 10:17 AM

Hi! I have a Peds recommendation. We just interviewed and have decided to go with Kensington Pediatrics. They are really cool about not vaxing, delayed vaxing, and selective vaxing. All you have to do is fill out a waiver stating that you do not hold the doctor accountable if your child comes down with a disease or something. And I like the doctor. They also have a Nurse Practitioner who is also an IBCLC so that's a plus.

Can't give you an OB recommendation. Sorry. I don't do OBs. Best of luck!

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

Old 09-25-2010, 09:53 PM
HRJ

If you are looking for restaurant recommendations, check out Lebanese Taverna (downtown SS or on Rville Pike). But the absolute best Indian restaurant we've ever been to is Udupi Palace in Langley Park. Not the best neighborhood but you won't find better food - it's vegetarian and they have a juicer so you can get fresh sqeezed carrot/apple juices for the kids.

I'd forgotten about Spring Mill bread - I think they used to sell that at MOM on Rville Pike as well. If you want an interesting bookstore - check out Politics and Prose in DC.

Have you checked out the consignment shops in Kensington and Four Corners yet? I used to get GREAT designer clothes that were not too worn at those places. About 90% of my son's clothes were consignment clothes - once we moved away, I never found consignment shops like those.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:56 PM
HRJ

Also check out The Savory in Takoma Parks (lots of vegan goods) and make sure you check out the Italian deli in Four Corners (I LOVE their veggie/cheese sub).
Old 03-30-2011, 01:36 PM

Hi,  I know this thread is a little old, but I just moved here (Takoma Park) and am looking for the same things, so I am wondering what you found.  I am 6 months pregnant and plan to deliver at Holy Cross.  I have seen the two of the Dr's at Capital Women's Care on Georgia and they seem nice, but I do not know much about them yet.

I am mostly anxious to find a pediatrician who is ok with a delayed/selective vax schedule.  I also have a two and a half year old son who has had only a few vaccines.  I tried Dr. Fusner at Kensington Pediatrics but they don't take my insurance (coventry network)  did you find anyone in the area?  do you have any recommendations?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:48 PM

We love Dr. Stern in Highland.  It may be a bit of a drive from Takoma Park, but I make the 40 minute drive from Baltimore to see him.  That just shows you how much we love him.  thumb.gif

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
Old 04-10-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA75 View Post

Hi,  I know this thread is a little old, but I just moved here (Takoma Park) and am looking for the same things, so I am wondering what you found.  I am 6 months pregnant and plan to deliver at Holy Cross.  I have seen the two of the Dr's at Capital Women's Care on Georgia and they seem nice, but I do not know much about them yet.

I am mostly anxious to find a pediatrician who is ok with a delayed/selective vax schedule.  I also have a two and a half year old son who has had only a few vaccines.  I tried Dr. Fusner at Kensington Pediatrics but they don't take my insurance (coventry network)  did you find anyone in the area?  do you have any recommendations?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have seen Dr. Sine at CWC since I was 15. She's absolutely great - caring, takes PLENTY of time to answer questions, and her speculum NEVER hurts. I moved away for three years, saw three different OBs trying to fine one as excellent as Dr. Sine but couldn't. Now I'm back in the area and I see her for well checkups. Whenever we get pregnant we'd like to go with a home birth, but otherwise I would be with Dr. Sine. I talked to her at length about hospital births. She seemed pretty supportive of the natural birth process and laboring down, but she did say that she does practice defensive medicine, so she does a Hep Lock and such. I didn't ask her section rate. 

Good luck with your pregnancy and finding a ped! 

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
Old 04-19-2011, 01:24 PM

Kensington is relatively close to silver spring and we used Dr. June Fusner.  I loved her dearly unfortunately our insurance changed when my son was 4 months old and I had to leave her.  I can't remember her stance on vaccinations, but I know that I was rather selective on which vaccines my son got and I don't remember anything ever being an issue with her.  Even when my son lost a large amount of weight the 2nd week, she never pushed supplementation (this we later found out was due to supply issues caused by a retained placenta in me for three weeks).  She instead recommended feeding every hour and pumping when that was not possible, his condition started improving in a week despite the retained placenta.  When we had to leave town when LO was 3 weeks old she asked if we would have an out of town physician check up on him to make sure his weight was increasing, which it was by then.  She also went to bat for me when the hospital I had to go to when I hemorrhaged tried to keep the baby from staying with me following surgery and transfusions as well as telling me I could not breastfeed, she heard the meds they were using and said it was absolutely fine for me to breastfeed.  Anyways, sorry to go off on a tangent, but my 4 months with her was great, and if i ever change back to my old insurance, I will definitely return to her.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I know this is an old post, but try Healing Tree ... Dr. Laura Asher for a really unique family doctor. She is in Silver Spring and does home visits in the area

User Tag List