Dealing with Dept. of Vital Statistics... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-25-2010, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I'm having my second baby at home in Montgomery Co. and was wondering how it is to deal with the representative from the Health Department after you've reported a birth. Since there is no licensing for CPMs in the state of Maryland, I have to not mention my midwife. I called to get some more information on how we go about reporting the birth and it seems easy enough, but when the lady started talking about someone coming to my house, it really smacked of "interrogator coming to your house to make sure you aren't lying (which I understand) and squeeze the name of the midwife you used". I'm going to lie my butt off basically, but I wanted to know if it is really as bad as I'm making it out to be or is it just that easy? Any advice would be great.

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#2 of 6 Old 09-25-2010, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, and first baby was born in Maine where CPMs are legal. This is my first time birthing in MD.

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#3 of 6 Old 09-26-2010, 10:03 AM

there are other posts on this topic so if you search the forum for birth certificate or similar, you will probably find them! (congrats on your upcoming homebirth, BTW!)

for me it was really not that bad. I was scared to death b/c I'm a terrible liar and basically incapable of hiding the truth. the health nurse was very sweet and understanding, and up front said she knew there were issues w/ midwives so I didn't have to mention the name of mine. other people have just said they decline to answer who the birth attendant was, or just say it was your partner (which most likely will be the truth).

She did ask for any proof of prenatal care and a dr. visit for the baby- not in an interrogating evil kind of way but b/c it was on the form and she was going through the process. I did happen to have credit card reciepts from a previous mw practice I saw and the ped so I showed them, but she didn't seem like she'd be upset if I hadn't, and people on this forum have refused to do so and it has been fine.

she was happy to see me nursing and overall it was very positive, after me being worried sick over it. I can't vouch for every health nurse out there b/c I'm sure some are more anti-homebirth than others. this was out of the silver spring office.
#4 of 6 Old 09-26-2010, 02:11 PM

It wasn't so hard and I did not lie. When we got to the midwife questions I simply said, " I decline to answer that because I chose and unlicensed midwife and I will not put her name on record." The nurse did try to ask questions that were not on the form and I would say, "is that on the form, then I would like to stick to the questions that are required." I made sure my baby had seen the pediatrician before the nurse came out and gave her the peds number to call and confirm the baby was being cared for by us and supervised by her. It went fine. I kept the upper hand on the conversation.
#5 of 6 Old 09-26-2010, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!!! I was kind of freaking out about it for a bit because I hate lying, but know that it's necessary to protect my midwife who is so cool. I pray that I get a nice nurse who is understanding of homebirth. That's all I can hope for. I do plan on having the Peds look at Bitbit before we call the Vital Stats office. Thanks again for bringing me out of the rafters on this one.

#6 of 6 Old 09-26-2010, 07:52 PM

I freaked out at first too. We had 2 hb's in md with a cpm. Both times the women that came out were wonderful and respectful. The last one I had come out was a conservative Jewish woman who specifically made a point to mention that homebirths used to happen because women couldn't afford hospital care, and you got mostly uneducated lower class people reporting births so the home visit became very important to give referrals to care. She said now they get mostly upper/middle class educated women choosing homebirth for safety and personal reasons. I did learn about a bunch of free stuff (i'm in balto co). There was a place to go to to get the hearing screening done for free and a few other things (story line from the library). Overall it was a pleasant visit. She weighed the babes, watched them nurse, oohed and ahhed.

hh2.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page