Where To Give Birth? Live in Carroll County - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 15 Old 10-01-2010, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
 
sydney1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I are expecting. We live in Carroll County and I’m wondering if anyone has good recommendations for (1) where to give birth – does anyone know anything about Carroll Hospital? (2) A good doctor or preferably a good mid-wife? Any info at all would be wonderful!
sydney1c is offline  
#2 of 15 Old 10-01-2010, 05:26 PM
 
homewithtwinsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Depends on what you want. High intervention, low touch birth leading to cesarean...sure go to Carroll County. Midwife, natural, empowered birth. Lots of other ideas. Homebirth midwives (there are several choices), Maryland General Hospital, Mercy Hospital, Special Beginnings birth center, Bay Area Birth Center with midwives. If you want local, go with homebirth midwife. Don't mind driving, any of the other named options above.
homewithtwinsmama is offline  
#3 of 15 Old 10-01-2010, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
 
sydney1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for your reply! I’d prefer to go natural. I thought as much about Carroll. It’s too bad because it would be so convenient But I saw that they don’t take the baby out of your room for bath or check-up. I really like that. I gave birth at Saint Joseph’s a couple of years ago and they insisted on taking the baby to the nursery for her bath and tests. She was gone for hours. I know I want to avoid that this time.
sydney1c is offline  
#4 of 15 Old 10-01-2010, 06:36 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: anywhere
Posts: 1,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where are you in carroll county? I live near the Howard County border and I am driving to Shady Grove to birth with the midwives. It's the same distance as Mercy and MD General, but I don't have to battle downtown Baltimore traffic during snow.

I will say I have been to the ER at Carroll and the DRs and nurses were the nicest and it was the fastest ER trip ever (I have been to quite a few, lol) but I am not so sure I would give birth there, although I have heard a lot of people do like it, I don't know how much they allow during birthing per movement, food ,etc. And actually the nurses where quite knowledgeable about medications with pregnancy and side effects which might be worse because of pregnancy. But being a VBAC, I would not go there and trust I could have a natural birth.

Shady Grove won't take the baby away at all, they will even do the hearing test in the room (if you leave) but if you are in upper county, it might be too far a drive - for me it's 45 minutes.

Again, I don't know any OB or midwife IN carroll county, I am driving to Frederick because the Shady Grove midwives have an office there and it's less than 30 minutes from my house. If I wasn't VBAC and didn't live 30 minutes from Carroll Hospital (or any other hospital) I'd probably home birth, but I am not comfortable with the distance.

And I will add the midwives aren't probably the most low intervention there is, but there are better than probably most OBs

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
closedaccount15 is offline  
#5 of 15 Old 10-02-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
 
sydney1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We live in Westminster off 31. It looks like we are 42 miles from Shady Grove. We are 35 miles from Maryland General, Mercy, and Howard. And 3 miles from Carroll. I know exactly what you mean about the traffic. When I delivered at Saint Joseph’s my water broke at home at 7a.m. we had to deal with morning rush hour in pouring rain. It took us two hours to get to the hospital. It’s not an experience I’d like to repeat! Alhough my husband will support me wherever I decide to go, he is REALLY hoping not to have to travel 795 and the beltway again.

I’m going to look into Shady Grove. Thanks! Right now, I have an appt. with the mid-wives at the Esposito group next week. They deliver at Howard. And I’ve sent an email to Evelyn Muhlhan (I didn’t have a good opportunity to call her from work last week). I think she delivers at Mercy. I’m not sure how relaxing a home birth would be for me. I’d be worried about the kids. The dog would have to go to the basement or outside, and he’d be barking the whole time. And I’d be worried I wasn’t being a good host (sounds crazy, but that’s me). Every time I picture the scenario it’s just chaos. LOL.

This will be our last baby, and I really want this experience to be a great one for everyone involved.
sydney1c is offline  
#6 of 15 Old 10-02-2010, 03:14 PM
 
homewithtwinsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1c View Post
We live in Westminster off 31. It looks like we are 42 miles from Shady Grove. We are 35 miles from Maryland General, Mercy, and Howard. And 3 miles from Carroll. I know exactly what you mean about the traffic. When I delivered at Saint Joseph’s my water broke at home at 7a.m. we had to deal with morning rush hour in pouring rain. It took us two hours to get to the hospital. It’s not an experience I’d like to repeat! Alhough my husband will support me wherever I decide to go, he is REALLY hoping not to have to travel 795 and the beltway again.

I’m going to look into Shady Grove. Thanks! Right now, I have an appt. with the mid-wives at the Esposito group next week. They deliver at Howard. And I’ve sent an email to Evelyn Muhlhan (I didn’t have a good opportunity to call her from work last week). I think she delivers at Mercy. I’m not sure how relaxing a home birth would be for me. I’d be worried about the kids. The dog would have to go to the basement or outside, and he’d be barking the whole time. And I’d be worried I wasn’t being a good host (sounds crazy, but that’s me). Every time I picture the scenario it’s just chaos. LOL.

This will be our last baby, and I really want this experience to be a great one for everyone involved.
Esposito midwives group have a natural birth rate of something on the order of less than 5%. Just saying...

I work for Evelyn. She does deliver at Mercy. Why would you worry about the kids at home but not while you were in the hospital? Send dog to a friend or family member's house for the day. Kids too. That's what I did with mine. As far as hostessing, its a service we provide for you so for that time period we are serving you. You can sign up for a midwife meet and greet night to find out about Evelyn's practice.
homewithtwinsmama is offline  
#7 of 15 Old 10-03-2010, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
 
sydney1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We don't have any family in the area. Our little one will be staying with a friend. But the teenagers will be at home. They will both be 16. If I go to the hospital, they have been given the opportunity to go to the hospital or stay at home. My daughter was at the hospital for the birth of my LO. But there were times were it was too intense for her and she went to the cafe or the gift shop for a while. She wouldn't have that 'escape' here at home. I guess if the weather is good she could go for a walk. It's just something I'd worry about. Mind you, most of my worrying is often unfounded

Thank you for all your information.
sydney1c is offline  
#8 of 15 Old 11-09-2010, 01:44 AM
 
snoopy5386's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live right around the corner from you! I live off of Main Street in Westminster and chose to deliver my 2nd baby at Special Beginnings Birth Center. The drive was a bit dicey but it all turned out well, I had a GREAT experience there. I went to a local OB until 28 weeks then switched which they said was very common.

Have you heard of Natural Parenting of Carroll County? It is a great local natural parenting mom's group. There are lots of moms in the group who have delivered every where - from Carroll, to Special Beginnings, Homebirths, St. Joe's, etc.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Natura...CarrollCounty/

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
snoopy5386 is offline  
#9 of 15 Old 11-10-2010, 03:22 PM
 
Maidenwisdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
I think she delivers at Mercy. I’m not sure how relaxing a home birth would be for me. I’d be worried about the kids. The dog would have to go to the basement or outside, and he’d be barking the whole time. And I’d be worried I wasn’t being a good host (sounds crazy, but that’s me). Every time I picture the scenario it’s just chaos. LOL.

This will be our last baby, and I really want this experience to be a great one for everyone involved.


I think if you are even considering the idea of home birth you should look into it further.  It is worth sorting out the logistics if you are even the least bit inclined :-)  Otherwise Evelyn does deliver at Mercy.  Kathy Slone's group (also Mercy) is also worth considering if you really prefer a hospital setting.  Personally I can vouch for Special Beginnings, but I agree it seems like a daunting drive, but maybe worth it!

 

Danielle

Maidenwisdom is offline  
#10 of 15 Old 11-11-2010, 06:17 PM
 
MegBoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidenwisdom View Post
I think if you are even considering the idea of home birth you should look into it further.  It is worth sorting out the logistics if you are even the least bit inclined :-) 



I totally agree! smile.gif

A freestanding birth center has NOTHING at all, from a medical safety perspective, that a HB MW doesn't bring with her. (Now, it may be closer for transfer if need be, if a transfer would be a long drive in your case), but otherwise - NOTHING that makes it any safer.


As soon as I learned that, I took the option of birth center off the table! Why drive, pack my things, leave the comfort & familiarity of MY turf!? Not to mention strangers - you can't pick YOUR MW & assistant, but get whoever is on call. Of course, I've heard many, many great things about Special Beginnings, but I still like the idea that I know my MW & her assistant, rather than having one of numerous MWs & nurses be my attendants.

 

I have a yappy dog too (male schnauzer. My female schnauzer barely barks at all!) But he settles down after the first 5 min or so of new guests being here. & I don't have concerns about being hostess. Any half-way decent MW isn't going to ask you to make her a sandwich! wink1.gif She's going to be focused on helping you & not expecting you to serve her. They even take care of the post-birth clean up.

MegBoz is offline  
#11 of 15 Old 12-01-2010, 11:39 AM
 
xixstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carroll County, Maryland
Posts: 1,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hope you found a good solution or maybe are still looking at options. Something I haven't seen mentioned is there are some local mom's that deliver at Gettysburg with a midwife there as well. That's really not that far from Westminster. I've been happy with my last two homebirths and have toddler and teen and they were totally oblivious to my last labor since I stayed in my bedroom and they just hung out in the living room -- just a thought of making it work with little ones about. 

 

The natural parenting of carroll county group that Nicole linked to is a great resource, lots of friendly moms there. :) Join us and say hi, if you haven't already. :)


Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
xixstar is offline  
#12 of 15 Old 07-13-2011, 02:03 PM
 
taprootchic21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was just wondering who your midwife was and how you found one. I live in Hanover, Pa and have been having a difficult time trying to find a midwife to do a home birth, let alone someone close that takes my insurance. Any recommendations?

taprootchic21 is offline  
#13 of 15 Old 07-13-2011, 02:05 PM
 
taprootchic21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post





I totally agree! smile.gif

A freestanding birth center has NOTHING at all, from a medical safety perspective, that a HB MW doesn't bring with her. (Now, it may be closer for transfer if need be, if a transfer would be a long drive in your case), but otherwise - NOTHING that makes it any safer.


As soon as I learned that, I took the option of birth center off the table! Why drive, pack my things, leave the comfort & familiarity of MY turf!? Not to mention strangers - you can't pick YOUR MW & assistant, but get whoever is on call. Of course, I've heard many, many great things about Special Beginnings, but I still like the idea that I know my MW & her assistant, rather than having one of numerous MWs & nurses be my attendants.

 

I have a yappy dog too (male schnauzer. My female schnauzer barely barks at all!) But he settles down after the first 5 min or so of new guests being here. & I don't have concerns about being hostess. Any half-way decent MW isn't going to ask you to make her a sandwich! wink1.gif She's going to be focused on helping you & not expecting you to serve her. They even take care of the post-birth clean up.



I was just wondering who your midwife was and how you found one. I live in Hanover, Pa and have been having a difficult time trying to find a midwife to do a home birth, let alone someone close that takes my insurance. Any recommendations?

taprootchic21 is offline  
#14 of 15 Old 09-06-2011, 10:24 AM
 
nightnurse7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a wonderful experience at Carroll Hospital in Dec.09. I made my ideas of labor and birth very clear and I got what I wanted. My OB was 100% on board with me as well. My water was broken for 21 hours and my OB never pushed c/s on me. As long as the baby and I were ok, we kept going : ) I had a natural birth that went wonderful. My delivery nurse was AMAZING. I plan to go there again as well.

 

Forgot to add- My son was never taken from me. His bath and exam were all done at my bedside. When I refused Hep B, the doctor said "Ok" and went on her way.

nightnurse7 is offline  
#15 of 15 Old 04-18-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
 
sydney1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

UPDATE.  Sadly we lost the baby, but became pregnant again and had a healthy baby girl in December.  We had the baby at Carroll Hospital and it was wonderful.  I had a natural birth.  I never felt pressured to get any type of pain medication.  Actually when I almost caved and asked about pain relief, I was given the encouragement I needed from my labor nurse to keep going.  She was amazing.  She suggested different positions and techniques as my labor progressed to help ease the pain.  In addition, the baby was face-up at the start of labor and she put me in positions that helped the baby turn.  And I was up and walking (with no IVs) right up until it was time to push.

 

The baby NEVER left my room once during our entire stay.  All baths and check-ups were completed in our room.

 

Also, I was allowed to wear my own hospital gown I brought from home, dim the lights, play my music, etc.  Oh, and although I was not allowed to eat during labor, they do allow ice pops, and flavored ice - a little better than plain ice chips. 

sydney1c is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off