MD Schools - Vaccination Waivers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-23-2010, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

Moving to Takoma Park or Silver Spring, MD and wanted to know which areas in Silver Spring(e.g., colesville, cloverly, white oak, hilandale) have issues with accepting vaccination waivers. Any advice or suggestions on public or private schools that are less problematic. We were told to go to Takoma Park, but we also like Silver Spring. Tired of hearing that it's a state requirement when it's not. We were also told to try Columbia, MD.

Thanks!
#2 of 13 Old 10-23-2010, 09:39 PM

as far as i know, i think all the public schools will accept the religious waiver. i imagine that in all those places you listed there are enough non-vaxers that the schools are used to it. i can't say anything about hte private though.
#3 of 13 Old 10-23-2010, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Had a bad episode with birth at hospital due to our views on vaxing. Didn't know it would be a big issue or that we would be labeled. So, trying to move to area where we will not have any issues when dd is old enough to go to school. We were thinking we may have to homeschool.
#4 of 13 Old 10-24-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel_eva View Post
as far as i know, i think all the public schools will accept the religious waiver. i imagine that in all those places you listed there are enough non-vaxers that the schools are used to it. i can't say anything about hte private though.
I agree, I know people in Carroll and Frederick County who don't vax and have children in public schools, so it can be done.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#5 of 13 Old 10-24-2010, 09:06 PM

we've lived here for over 10 yrs and I've never heard of any specific area being more or less likely to give you problems. the religious exemption is a state law so any city or neighborhood would have to accept it at a public school. My kids have gone to daycare, many different camps, a variety of public and private schools and no one has ever questioned it. As long as you have your forms filled out and everything's in order, I doubt you'll have a problem. (I do understand your concern, I was really nervous that we'd be questioned or kicked out when my kids first started in various programs, but it's always been fine.)

good luck with the move!
#6 of 13 Old 10-24-2010, 11:37 PM

When I filled out my daughter's medical info for school there was a spot to sign for the exemption on the forms (we're Baltimore City). She is vaxed, so we didn't use that, but I thought about it so I didn't have to deal with all the paperwork from the ped's office!

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#7 of 13 Old 10-25-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! I hope we're ok. We didn't know if some areas were worse than others. So, just want to be in the right SS area.
#8 of 13 Old 10-28-2010, 12:28 PM

in MD there is a spot at the bottom of the vax form for religious exemption. Sign it and don't worry about it. They can't ask any questions about your religion, so don't answer any unless you really want to. It's not an obligation to explain and it's actually against the law - separation of Church and State - for anyone to ask or badger you about it.
#9 of 13 Old 12-27-2010, 04:48 PM

I'm coming late to this thread, but I wanted to post for anyone who is interested. I was very anxious about this issue when we moved to MD recently. My kids are in public and private schools. We filled out the MD vaccination form (downloaded from the internet ) and signed the part at the bottom that says "religious exemption". I turned it in to both schools, and had no problems whatsoever. I did not draw attention to it, nor did I make a big deal when I was asked why the vaccination part wasn't filled out. I just said I signed it at the bottom and shut my mouth. I also used it at summer camp, and was asked why it wasn't filled out. Same answer, smile, mouth shut. I've heard MD is not a problem state for non-vaxers, as is, say, New York or New Jersey, and that's been my experience so far. My kids have some vaxes, but not all, so I signed the form and included the sheet from the ped that listed the vaxes they do have. I did not list their vaxes on the state's vaccination form I signed, since I thought that would raise questions. HTH. MD is not supportive of non-vaxing, so I keep very quiet about it.

#10 of 13 Old 12-28-2010, 02:36 PM

I'm turing in another school form so just noticed something on the religious exemption I hadn't noticed before.  It says the religious exemption is not valid in case of emergency or epidemic of disease!  My form is from 2009.  Does this mean it is legal for them to force kids to be vaccinated, if "they" deem it to be an emergency or epidemic?  :(

#11 of 13 Old 12-28-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post

I'm turing in another school form so just noticed something on the religious exemption I hadn't noticed before.  It says the religious exemption is not valid in case of emergency or epidemic of disease!  My form is from 2009.  Does this mean it is legal for them to force kids to be vaccinated, if "they" deem it to be an emergency or epidemic?  :(

I could be wrong, but I think it just means that they can keep your child out of school unless he's vaccinated.

#12 of 13 Old 12-29-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttmom92 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post

I could be wrong, but I think it just means that they can keep your child out of school unless he's vaccinated.

Yes, this is my understanding as well. Your child wouldn't be able to come to school in the event of an "outbreak" of a disease that is vaccinated for.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#13 of 13 Old 12-30-2010, 09:54 AM

Ok, that is fine with me, then :) 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page