Uncommon bra size - Looking for a local store. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-25-2010, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi ladies,

I'm of an unusual size - very small rib cage and not so small breasts my calulation would be somewhere around 30DD/E (yes they're real )

This not an easy size to find and I don't have $90 to burn on a bra online without fitting first.

Are they ANY shops in Baltimore,Howard, Columbia, Towson? or around there that might carry a size like that?

any ideas would be great!

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

#2 of 11 Old 10-25-2010, 08:59 PM

My top 3 recommendations -

Bra-la-la in Maple Lawn -- http://www.bra-la-la.com

A Woman's Place on Main in Laurel -- http://www.womansplaceonmain.com/

The Bottom Drawer in Federal Hill -- http://www.thebottomdrawer.net/default.html

Good Luck! I know there aren't many brands that manufacture a 30 band size.

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#3 of 11 Old 10-25-2010, 09:59 PM

Sorry no suggestions here for a place to shop but I did have a recommendation on sizing that I wanted to share. I got fitted for a bra one time at a pricey boutique and the sales associate told me something I'd never heard before and it turned out to work (for me anyway).

She said that everyone has a 'sister size' they can wear when looking for bras. Basically you go down a cup size but up one band size. It can sometimes be a better fit than what you've been wearing but more importantly, sometimes its an easier size to find.

Just wanted to offer that advice since I had never heard it before. I hope you find something you like that isn't too costly!

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
#4 of 11 Old 10-26-2010, 11:39 AM

I second Bra-la-la.

Prices are higher than department stores (though I'm sure they'll find you something that costs way less than $90), but it's worth it. Just tell them you can't spend more than $XX, get fitted and buy a bra or two.

I wear a 32D and that is impossible to find locally (other than at Bra-la-la), but now that I know what a bra in the correct size feels like, I can't fake it with a 36B like I used to.

I now buy bras exclusively (and less expensively) online- Figleaves, Bravissimo, Gap, even Amazon.

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

#5 of 11 Old 10-26-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMama311 View Post
She said that everyone has a 'sister size' they can wear when looking for bras. Basically you go down a cup size but up one band size.
As a 32D, this has never worked for me. I can't tell you the number of 34C bras I purchased (on the advice of salespeople, because stores like VS rarely stock 32D) and had sit in my drawer, virtually unworn, for years. I finally wised up and started buying a Wacoal bra about once every 2-3 years. Macy's, L&T, Nordstrom carry them. Wacoal has a 30 band size, and their cup sizes go up to 44.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#6 of 11 Old 10-27-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMama311 View Post
She said that everyone has a 'sister size' they can wear when looking for bras. Basically you go down a cup size but up one band size. It can sometimes be a better fit than what you've been wearing but more importantly, sometimes its an easier size to find.
That can sometimes work, but not for everyone and should not be done when nursing, since proper bra fit while breastfeeding is SO important.

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#7 of 11 Old 10-27-2010, 03:49 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'd suggest looking online for something like figleaves.com . They have reasonable shipping and returns.
#8 of 11 Old 10-27-2010, 08:08 PM

I feel your pain! I was a 34 DD pre-baby/nursing and now I wear a 34G...I have always had good luck with Nordstrom. (They have locations in Towson Town Center and Columbia.)

They offer real fittings (in the privacy of a dressing room) and have a huge size range. If they don't have your size, they will order it for you and you can return it to the store (which beats the hassle of returning something in the mail.)

After I've had a fitting and tried on lots of different brands at the mall, I can often find the same bras cheaper online. The same is true if I really love a particular style.

PS -- I just remembered that there is a store in the Kenilworth mall called Lingerie, Lingerie. One of my friends with a difficult to fit bra size swore by them.
Good luck!

loving mr bub, our baby boy bub (1/2010) and excitedly expecting (6/2011)!!
#9 of 11 Old 10-28-2010, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

wow! thanks so much for the tips and info!

i've been trying to use 'sister sizes' for too long. if the band fits my breasts are jumping out. if the cups fit the band is swimming around me

i really appreciated the replies!

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

#10 of 11 Old 10-28-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
As a 32D, this has never worked for me. I can't tell you the number of 34C bras I purchased (on the advice of salespeople, because stores like VS rarely stock 32D) and had sit in my drawer, virtually unworn, for years. I finally wised up and started buying a Wacoal bra about once every 2-3 years. Macy's, L&T, Nordstrom carry them. Wacoal has a 30 band size, and their cup sizes go up to 44.
I second this. I go to A La Mode in Annapolis and they can get any size, are really good at sizing and their customer service is fantastic. Makes you feel like a queen...bra shopping!

A La Mode - Certified Bra Fitters in Annapolis, Maryland.
http://www.alamodelingerie.com/boutiquelocations
#11 of 11 Old 10-29-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
I second this. I go to A La Mode in Annapolis
http://www.alamodelingerie.com/boutiquelocations
I am so glad you mentioned them by name! Someone just was telling me about a bra shop in Annapolis they loved but they couldn't remember the name ... looks like this is the place. Yes! Good bras and good bra fitting -- so worth it.

IBCLC, LLLL, Mom to 3, obsessive baker, where's my coffee

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page