Are there really laws that govern opposite sex children sleeping in the same room????? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-22-2010, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mommas!!! I have a DD 5 and DSS 3, we live in DC in a tiny err economically priced apartment, lol :) I was told that once my daughter turned 5 that legally the kiddos could no longer share a bedroom.  Is this true?  If so can someone point me in the direction of said law as I have been unsuccessful in my search.

Thanks!!!!

Proud Marine Wife ribbongold.gif, Mommy to One Amazingly Beautiful Charismatic Daughter (12/17/05) joy.gifand Perfectly Handsome Son (6/15/2011) yikes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 02:25 PM

It appears that no such laws exist.

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=6678

I would also think that if they did, it would be that BOTH children had to be over 5 for it to apply. 

Not much, I know... but HTH anyway.

=)

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

Old 12-23-2010, 05:14 PM

I used to have rental property in MD, and from what I remember, and I could be mistaken, there was no law that I was told of that said people had to be a certain age to have their own rooms. I think it's a management thing, but not a law. If a rental property owner is telling you it's a law, I'd ask them for a copy of the law, if they are dictating it, they should have it with them to show you.

The only thing I could find for MD - and maybe you can research the same place for DC, is that Social Services requests bedroom space for those wanting to foster a child and they CAN share a bedroom with same sex.

So maybe the person telling you that has it confused with requirements for foster care?

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
Old 12-24-2010, 02:45 PM

The only thing I can think of that is similar is the Fair Housing Act regulation that requires 50 sq.ft per person per bedroom, or something like that...it varies by county.  I have heard of people having problems with a family bed situation where a couple wanted a 1 bedroom apartment for them and their 2 kids, because they were co-sleeping so had only one bed, and were denied because the bedroom did not have enough square footage for 4 people to be sleeping in it.  But that is not the same as your situation, sorry. 

Old 12-27-2010, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proud Marine Wife ribbongold.gif, Mommy to One Amazingly Beautiful Charismatic Daughter (12/17/05) joy.gifand Perfectly Handsome Son (6/15/2011) yikes.gif

Old 12-29-2010, 08:30 PM

I just wanted to add that even foster families can have mixed gender children over the age of 5 sharing a bedroom as long as the child is not a foster placement. 4 of my children share a large bedroom (2 boys and 2 girls, ages 6,5,4 and 3) and my foster child sleeps in his own room (the baby still co-sleeps).

We will designate gender specific rooms sometime in the future bur are not in any hurry. Our social workers have never mentioned the sleeping situation and everyone is very aware the set up we have. 

Student and SAHM to 6 little people. Some by birth, some through adoptionheart-1.gif , some through foster care

User Tag List