BirthCare & Cigna - any experiences? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2011, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Greetings all - has anyone had any experience with Cigna insurance and BirthCare? My husband's company is switching to Cigna and I'd love to know if anyone has been able to have some/part of their birth covered through them. Who knows what sort of plan we'll be offered, and obviously I will call them and BirthCare when we have details, but unofficial input would be most appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 08:48 PM

I moved here during the middle of my pregnancy and went through three different birth centers/group of midwives. Birth Care was the second. I had heard only good things about them but I was not happy with the service at all. I did not click with any of the midwives. They just did not seem to ever be genuinely interested. Their birthing assistants, which they require you to have, are great however, at least the group I met. There are a lot expectations of you from them. I'm so glad I decided to have my baby some where else. 

Old 01-10-2011, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Kauhoku! I'm sorry you did not have a completely positive experience with the midwives. I think the team has changed a little in the last couple years. And you're right, the assistants are fantastic! But I was just wondering about the insurance part really. I've already had a birth there, and I was happy with the care. But I'd love to hear who you chose if you don't mind sharing. If my insurance doesn't cover BirthCare I may have to reconsider my options.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:23 AM

oh the insurance, i'm sorry. didn't mean to go on like that. :) i went with whitney pinger of wisdom midwifery. it's a group of three midwives and they are all fantastic. they deliver at george washington university hospital. i wasn't crazy about having a hospital birth but it worked out well. no one bothered me and the midwives were with me through the whole experience. if i have another baby it will definitely be with them.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

that's okay! 

I've heard that name... I'll have to look her up. 

i toured alexandria hospital and that's what sent me to birthcare - it terrified me! but i've heard virginia and GW are very nice. 

i think i want to be at home this time around, with an aqua doula tub... so we'll see who I can find with cigna. ugh.. insurance! i hate how it can dictate our birth choices. it's hard enough to make these decisions.  

User Tag List