best a/p and homeschool friendly area in delaware? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-16-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

looking to  move to fenwick island , we are moving from tampa florida and we are totally clueless about lower de and what areas are more attached parenting friendly as well as homeschool homeschool friendly any info would be much appreciated...  :)

thanks mamas... you guys rock!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 12:50 PM

Long time lurker jumping in.

Delaware in general is a very mainstream state, but we are making huge strides.  We now have 3 LLL meetings a month across the state, and 3 babywearing meetings.  We will soon have ICAN as well.  I don't know specifically about Fenwick,but the beaches in general are more laid back and "organic".  Delaware is a dream for homeschoolers, very friendly.  We belong to a very large (Christian) co-op in Kent County, and I have heard rumors of others co-ops trying to get off the ground.

Heather

Heather~ mom to 7, grandma to 2, bf and bw advocate extraordinaire
Old 01-19-2011, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

great to know thanks!!!

Old 03-09-2011, 02:56 PM

Welcome! Have you moved yet?  We're in New Castle County and I've never been to fenwick island, but there is a large network of AP mamas that has stemmed from the delmarva babywearer group (you can find them on FB).  

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
Old 04-28-2011, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

no we havent moved yet, still trying to figure out the best place that will suit us and the hubs is still trying to find work up north, i will check out the fb page you listed i also put another post up hoping to get more responses :)

Old 05-02-2011, 09:11 AM

I've lived in southern Delaware now for two years and have been pleasantly suprised with regards to many aspects of this area, including attitudes about parenting.  I live "inland" a bit but I am still showered with positive comments from strangers when I wear my daughter in the ergo. I have never received one negative comment about that or homebirthing or breastfeeding. (Though one guy did mistake her for a dog and told me I couldn't bring animals into the store... haha) In general, people are just too polite here to talk rudely to strangers even if they did disagree. I know of a small LLL group in Lewes (a little north of Fenwick) and I believe all the beach communities, especially, are quite "organic" like another poster mentioned. I also know quite a few homeschoolers here. On another note, there are also community supported organic farms popping up around here and farmers markets. Please let me know if you have any more questions about delaware and/or sussex county, I am more than happy to help! 

Wife to my best friend, a hardworking mountain man, and mom to a sweet little girl (7/10) and a spastic kitty, currently living far from the mountains.

User Tag List