Childbirth Classes in and around Harford County, MD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 01-25-2011, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can anyone recommend a Bradley Method class to me, which is in close-ish proximity to Harford County, MD?  If there is another method that you think is good, could you let me know that too and why you think it's good?  Thanks so much!

#2 of 27 Old 01-25-2011, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Did you check bradleybirth.com? Or read "Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way" by Susan McCutcheon.

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.
#3 of 27 Old 01-25-2011, 05:34 PM

Jessica Groves teaches a bradley based class in Harford county I believe.  Also Emily Pelton teaches a great evidence based natural childbirth class in Northern Baltimore City (right off I-83); www.baltimorefamilybeginnings.com.  I would tell you about my classes but Catonsville is a long drive ;-)

D

#4 of 27 Old 01-27-2011, 09:30 AM

Jessica was my doula & she's actually a training to be a MW now! I didn't take her class, but from all I know of her, I'd recommend it. (I took a Bradley-derived class that I wouldn't recommend.)

In addition to Bradley, the other method I've heard the best things about is Hypnobabies. I believe it is similar to Bradley in that it provides a lot of factual info on interventions & side-effects & such to help you become an informed healthcare consumer. But it focuses more on relaxation and what's called "hypno-anesthesia" to help reduce pain. I've seen some posts from those who've done both & felt Hypnobabies was better at reducing pain for a more pleasant experience. I even know of a hypnobabies teacher who used to teach Bradley & switched & felt it was superior.

I'm a big weirdo & just not scared of pain, and way too analytical/left-brained to be open to the concept of hypnosis, so it didn't appeal to me at all personally. But from lots of reading on MDC, I recommend it for others if you think it could be a fit for you.

I do NOT recommend Hypnobirthing, on the other hand. If you want more details, I can dig up a great thread on Hypnobirthing vs. Hypnobabies that was running about a month ago on the "Birth & beyond" forum.

I've also heard many good things about yogabirthing - http://yogabirthbaltimore.org/Home_Page.html

Not super convenient to Bel Air, but not too bad. (It's not a 'franchise' type of thing, but a curriculum Heather created herself, so you can't get feedback on the "method" on the other forums like you would on the other 3 I listed above.)

BirthWithFaith likes this.
#5 of 27 Old 01-28-2011, 08:16 AM

Jessica is now affiliated with Brio Birth:  http://www.briobirth.com/

Quite a few former Bradley teachers have changed their affiliation to Brio.

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

#6 of 27 Old 01-28-2011, 10:41 AM

Yes, but Brio is in a legal battle with The Bradley Method.  I wonder if Brio will still be able to teach "Bradley".

#7 of 27 Old 01-28-2011, 10:59 AM

http://briobirthbaltimore.weebly.com/

www.briobirth.com

The legal battle only covers copyright. Brio originally was "Bradley Reborn"  That name is the issue of the legal battle not the classes themselves.

#8 of 27 Old 01-28-2011, 11:47 AM

yeahthat.gif

Granted, I haven't taken a Brio class, but from all the information I have seen, Brio teaches partner-coached normal/physiological childbirth, with a medication-free labor and delivery as the goal, just like Bradley. They shared some sample materials a while back and the basic content that was presented was almost identical, just presented differently. I'm sure a Brio teacher could explain any differences for prospective students.

I think more important is the instructor and her (or his) teaching style and knowledge base, rather than who she is affiliated with. So find someone you like and who has good recommendations from people who share your values.

We took a Bradley class with Lorrie Leigh in Columbia in 2008 and it was great. She has since become affiliated with Brio, but knowing her personal values, knowledge, and teaching style, I can't imagine the class would be significantly different. I'd recommend her classes to anyone in Howard County, even if she had no affiliation.

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

#9 of 27 Old 02-05-2011, 07:51 PM

Well, The Bradley Method is the "tried and true" method that has been around for many years with over 80% natural births. Brio Birth can't say the same thing. It's too new... only time will tell. Brio Birth is NOT Bradley.

#10 of 27 Old 02-06-2011, 12:19 PM

Yes, both Jessica and Lorrie are now with Brio Birth, which is based on many of the tried and true pioneers of childbirth.  In fact, both Lorrie and Jessica helped write the new workbook, which is just AMAZING.  There are several Brio Birth educators in your area.  I would recommend you call and talk to any educator you are interested in and ask them questions and see if you hit it off.

#11 of 27 Old 02-06-2011, 12:26 PM

Germin8--No, Brio birth is not the same as Bradley...it's completely updated and current and full of exciting and powerful information!  I am one of many "new" Brio teachers although I have been teaching for over 10 years to over 250 couples.  Even though I may have switched organizations, my goals, enthusiasm and love for teaching are still the same :)  I agree with whomever said in an above message that it's not WHO the teacher is affiliated with but rather whether or not they are a great teacher.  You can have horrible teachers in a good organization or wonderful teachers in a horrible organization--that's why it's crucial to actually speak to the teacher and also look into what former students have to say.

Nicole, CBRE

#12 of 27 Old 02-06-2011, 12:34 PM

Also wanted to add that if anyone is interested in seeing the kind of experience most Brio teachers have, you can go here--to the Brio Birth Facebook page--to see the teachers listing their teaching experience.  You will see that MANY have been teaching upwards of 10 years so even though Brio is new, the large majority of the teachers are NOT ;)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/topic.php?uid=183429675005891&topic=349

#13 of 27 Old 02-06-2011, 03:34 PM

Lorrie here.  Yes I have switched to Brio.  I am thrilled about having up to date research and gorgeous materials to work with.  Brio is truly childbirth education for 21st century parents.  I am one of the editors of the book and its wonderful.  Great information, great color pictures of actual women laboring (my placenta is in there, lol).  The teaching techniques are contemporary as well.  I encourage everyone to look at Brio as well as all your other options.

#14 of 27 Old 02-06-2011, 03:46 PM

Having a great teacher, provider and birth facility are all VERY important.

As an educator when I hear anyone quote statistics, I want to know more. I encourage you to research that 80%. Call and ask questions. I would encourage my students to question stats that their provider give them too.  Just because someone says something doesn't make it true. Ask, ask ask.

Are c/s included in that number? How is that number determined. When I taught AAHCC classes, I can tell you not all clients get back in touch with thier teacher after the birth. To my knowledge, the stats are based on birth logs that the teachers send to the academy each year. So how can a number be accurate if not all the data is submitted. 

I certainly wouldn't buy a house on the word of the previous owner, I would want an inspection, KWIM?

I would ask you to consider HOW many teachers that were once affiliated with many other organizations have switched to Brio. It is THAT GOOD!  I can name numerous just in our area. Lori, Jessica, Me, Pam, Nicole, and several others. Brio is natural childbirth classes that combines the proven techniques with modern day advances. For example, Doulas, Rebozo and the such. 

PLEASE understand one class is not the right and one is not wrong. Different classes work for different couples. But please educate yourself on what is out there. I would be happy to talk with you about Brio. I taught with AAHCC for many years and it is a great class, it is afterall what I took. 

Brio has brought natural childbirth classes current and up to date.

And I will end with saying WELCOME TO PARENTING! lol! This is what is is all about, learning , research, and deciding what is best for you and your family.

All my best.

Dianne

#15 of 27 Old 02-06-2011, 03:58 PM

Thanks Lauren, 

My classes are definitely seeing some change.  But, I feel they are going to be the better for it.  New materials, new outlines, new techniques.  Being able to draw on all the great resources and techniques for achieving natural childbirth.   I have a Brio class right now and they seem pretty happy and a nearly full class for next series.  I am enjoying stretching new muscles in this expansion.

#16 of 27 Old 02-07-2011, 08:30 AM

The lawsuit just affects the name.  The org is now using Brio Birth. 

#17 of 27 Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 AM

Brio Birth has over 300 educators after only 4 months of existence.  Brio Birth is comprised of instructors wanting to teach an updated evidence-based curriculum. 

(www.BrioBirth.com for the Brio Birth educator in your area)

Here are a few comments from instructors who just got their first sneak peek at the Brio Birth 200-page workbook:

"OMG...that workbook is the most awesome thing I have ever seen!!! I can't begin to imagine the work that went into making it and how incredibly comprehensive it looks to be. WOW WOW WOW! Thank you everyone who produced this...you should be very proud of the work you all did!"

"It's so gorgeous, I don't even have the words to describe how excited I am about it! Thank you to everyone involved :)"

"Holy cow wow!!! We were about to watch a movie, and now I can't do anything else but read through this amazing piece of work! Thank you everybody for all the time committed to this and your incredible team effort!!!!!!!!!"

"WOW WOW WOW it is amazing! Great job to all who worked so tirelessly on this workbook. If there was an Academy Award for workbooks - this book would get it. I will be so proud to give this to my clients! Thank you!"

"LOVE LOVE LOVE the workbook! When I look through it it's crazy to think how much stuff was missing from you know where. I have a 5 in binder that I used to have to supplement with!! You can really tell all the time that was put into this, so I'm happy we had to wait. I thank you all so much!!!"

"Yep, I cried a little reading it. THANK YOU, WORKBOOK TEAM!!!"

"Brava, Brava, Brava! Beautiful ladies! A big thank you for a wonderful resource! My husband took a peek and said, "Wow, there is information in it!""

"FANTASTIC! There is SOOO much info in it. THANK YOU! ♥"

"WOW!"

"I LOVE this workbook! I love that so much attention goes to life after baby."

"I just spent some time with the workbook. It is amazing. THANK YOU to those who dedicated their time and wisdom to this project. You deserve to get a huge amount of credit!! Can't wait to get the print version. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

"Again, I don't get a lot of time to read, but I did want to say that I LOVE THIS WORKBOOK! Thank you so much."

===================================== 

Brio Birth = a compilation of knowledge, materials and updated research from some the best natural childbirth instructors in the United States.  Brio Birth already has Regional Representatives to connect with and learn from, will have annual conferences and learning capabilities for CEUs for instructors and so much more!!

#18 of 27 Old 02-07-2011, 09:08 AM

Thank you for all that information about Brio.

ETA: ntengwall3, you mentioned "No, Brio birth is not the same as Bradley...it's completely updated and current".  For anything to be updated, it has to have started from something... so, if Brio is not Bradley, then it would leave one to ask what was Brio updated from?  (I don't know if that made any sense... *lol*... but FYI)

Also, Bradley does have a new website... from what I understand, they are updating.  Bradley is Bradley. Brio is Brio. I never took all Bradley classes, just the first four.  So, I have their workbook and would LOVE to see Brio's workbook. (BTW, I read Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way to labor the Bradley way.)

#19 of 27 Old 02-09-2011, 02:11 PM

Germin--maybe I didn't state that the correct way.  What I meant is that all of their information is up-to-date and current (unlike a lot of the other materials I used to have to use!)  They are presented in a beautiful and appealing manner and look very professional--not like a 3rd grader designed them ;)

#20 of 27 Old 02-09-2011, 06:36 PM

Yup, After many years they finally did update their website. It looks nice. I hope they keep it up and update their videos and workbooks too. It all benefits Mommas and Babies!

#21 of 27 Old 02-10-2011, 06:55 AM

Ugh, yes, that old Bradley website was PAINFUL! I know this is weird, but it also drive me BONKERS how they still insist on putting the little "R" registered mark after EVERY TIME they write the word "Bradley." It's totally unprofessional, unnecessary, and just silly. For one thing, once you include it once on a page, you don't need to repeat it every single time you list the word. For another, it's just visually a mess - distracting & cluttered. 

ETA: How is this for irony... right after I post the above gripe about lack of professionalism in their marketing, I get an email from Bradley encouraging me to become an instructor (I'd registered that I was interested over a year ago.) 

I decide to click 'unsubscribe' because if I do pursue being a CBE, it would be with Brio, and the link:

http://bradleybirth.com/remove.asp

is bad.

That is a huge, big, marketing no-no. There are actual LAWS stating that you must have a means for people to unsubscribe from your promotional emails. <shaking head>

#22 of 27 Old 02-10-2011, 08:12 AM

Students and teachers should be able to get removed from their email list.  That's very frustrating and yes it is against the law.

#23 of 27 Old 02-10-2011, 08:16 AM

It is healthy to have more than one natural birth education organization teaching students so students have a choice. Everyone should welcome healthy, positive competition.

MegBoz likes this.
#24 of 27 Old 02-10-2011, 12:25 PM

MegBoz, I just checked and the link is: http://bradleybirth.com/StopEmail.aspx

#25 of 27 Old 02-10-2011, 01:08 PM

Thanks, I found it. After I posted, I realized what they wrote at the bottom in fine print was,

"If you wish to discontinue receiving these mailings, simply go to www.bradleybirth.com and at the bottom of the screen select To be removed from our e-mail list click here. option.  

(Yes, that's the font size as it appeared in my email.)

Since I was skimming at the bottom looking for the unsubscribe link I expected to be there, I saw the phrase "To be removed, click here" and just immediately clicked. But what you're supposed to do is go to "Bradleybirth.com" and THEN click the removal link on THAT page. Given that is the case, the text for "To be removed..." should not have been hyper-linked in the email anyway, since it's a bad link.

So I went to the bradleybirth.com site and as I often do when I'm looking for something specific, I hit "Control +F" for the "Find" feature rather than reading the site. I typed "REMOVE" - no dice. NICE! You tell me to come to your home page and click the "remove" link and no such link exists.

I finally found it at the bottom of the home page, it says "Stop receiving emails"

But what a hassle! So terribly unprofessional.

And that is to say nothing of the fact that the majority of the email consisted of imagery - including the vast majority of the text in images - as opposed to HTML text merely accompanied by some imagery. It's like they're living in a marketing hole!

#26 of 27 Old 02-10-2011, 01:54 PM

That's not cool. 

#27 of 27 Old 02-12-2011, 10:44 PM

Germin 8,

First I would say that the new website for TBM was a DIRECT RESPONSE to the pressure they felt in having competition.  In fact there is a good argument to be made that it would not exist were it not for Brio Birth.  Many of us had been asking for years for a contemporary and useful website.  A little competition can sharpen both organizations in positive ways.

Second we are updated from an image of natural childbirth that was dated.  Old 70s video clips and hostility to the unmarried, unpartnered or homosexual, and those who were not fully committed to natural childbirth, but wanted to educate themselves, judgmental attitudes if your birth didn't measure up, information that was not current regarding current use of new technologies, medication changes etc, recognizing that a professional organization needs continuing education requirements that are meaningful and require a commitment to personal professional improvement.    Brio teachers take an excellent training course and new teachers are mentored through their first year so that there is consistency from one teacher to another and quality control.   Do we incorporate the incredible work of Dr Bradley, yes, but then we add in some who came before (Leboyer and Dick-Read) the wonderful contemporary contributions and inspirations of Ina May Gaskin, Penny Simkin, Suzanne Arms, Michel Odent, Gail Tully, Sara Buckley and many others and information about doulas, alternative therapies, rebozo, etc.  As some of us have been saying, natural birth is ancient but teaching techniques don't have to be.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page