I want chickens in my backyard in columbia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-01-2011, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

anybody wanna help me get columbia to let us have chickens??

i know someone who lives in columbia and has chickens, she just has cool neighbors who don't care.  i don't think mine would care either, but it would be better (since i live on a well used trail) if i followed the rules about it.

anybody interested?

#2 of 3 Old 02-04-2011, 08:26 AM

Does the C.A. have poultry-keeping rules that are different from the County's?  If not, your biggest problem will be distance from other houses.

We live in Ellicott City and we're zoned "R-20" according to the Howard County "My Neighborhood" map. In that zone, "farming" is permitted, provided that on a lot of less than 40,000 square feet, no fowl other than for the normal use of the family residing on the lot and no livestock. You can find the map here: http://gis.howardcountymd.gov/PublicGISOnline/MyNeighbor.aspx

Unfortunately, Sect. 128-A(4) says that in all districts where farming is permitted, the following shall not be allowed within 200 feet of an existing dwelling on a lot:
     a. An animal shelter including a building, shed, roofed structure or moveable shelter that houses or provides protection for animals other than household pets; ...

So you can only have a coop if there are no dwellings within 200' of the coop's location. I'm pretty sure that includes your own home. And I believe the number of chickens is limited to 8, but that should be plenty for personal use.

(Big thanks to my sister who is a planner for another county and did the research for me!)

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

#3 of 3 Old 02-05-2011, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

THanks!!

well, i think we might be over 200 feet from a neighbor, you know, depending on how we measure it. we back into open space, and there are three houses kind of cul-de-sac style near us.  

i would only have chickens if i could coop them at night.  we have foxes around here.  

i assumed CA had different rules - although, as i said, i know someone who keeps chickens in columbia. i think she has built them some kind of roost under her deck.

thanks for that site. i am going to check it out now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page