Skiing with four young kids. Where's your favorite place? Tips to keep things sane. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We live near Baltimore.  And want to do a 3 day 2 night trip to one of the nearby ski areas.  We have 4 boys ages 7, 5, 3, and 5 months.  We are planning on going in the middle of the week, and I'm just going to hang out at the lodge with our nursling and whoever else needs a break at the time.  Does anyone have any tips on good locations for kids, a decent lodge/hotel for me to hang out in, good prices, healthy meal ideas.  My husband was a ski instructor for 6 years, so he's going to be teaching the kids how to ski. We will need to rent equipment for everyone.  We thought snow tubing might be fun.  We don't want to have to travel far 3 or so hours max.  I would love some input on how to make this a fun trip for everyone.  I'm a little sad that I won't get to ski, but thrilled for DH to get a chance to be on the slopes.

Our 3 sons: Big G 12/03, JW 12/05, little BIG G 8/07, Our BIG surprise September 2010
Three backyard chickens: Gretchen, Ms. Mollie, and Olive
#2 of 4 Old 02-14-2011, 10:27 AM

We love Snowshoe, WV but it's closer to 5 hrs away. I think the Poconos are within 3 hrs but I haven't been in years.

#3 of 4 Old 02-14-2011, 11:24 AM

We just did snow tubing at Ski Liberty in PA (about an hour outside Baltimore?)....We stayed at the Quality Inn at General Lee's Headquarters in Gettysburg (about 15 minutes away). The hotel was reasonable ($89/night) and very nice--older, but recently upgraded. There's also a microbrewery attached, which was a plus for DH. :)

We just did snow tubing, not skiing. The tubing is separate from the skiing (has its own lodge further up the mountain) that you take a shuttle to  We went on a weekend and it was insanely crowded...not sure, but I think there is parking at both lodges, but b/c of the crowds we had to bus it. You might want to check, though. Also, I don't think the tubing lodge has lockers available...so either be prepared to have someone stay with your stuff or leave extras in the car.

Also, the tubing is for ages 5+ and the hills are BIG and very fast. (They have a kiddie area for under 5, but it's not really hills...just an area for parents to pull the kids around in tubes. So, not really fun, except for the very littles). Also, they have a 'moving carpet' that takes you up the tubing mountain (you also have the option to walk up on the far side)...the carpet is difficult to balance on and the tubes are really bulky and heavy. My DD has coordination/balance issues and it was really hard getting her up the hill. May not be a problem for your group, but thought I'd mention it. I was really unprepared for how it was set up. Also, I overhead someone say that the staff was hesistant to let their young child go on the hills, even though he was 5, because of his size. Nobody said anything about DD and she's pretty small. It probably just depends who you get. They do let you hook 2 tubes together, so parents and kids can stay together.

#4 of 4 Old 02-14-2011, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

It sounds like Liberty might not be for us.  We need a very kid friendly place since my husband will have all three boys by himself while I'm hanging out with the baby.  Any other thoughts?

Our 3 sons: Big G 12/03, JW 12/05, little BIG G 8/07, Our BIG surprise September 2010
Three backyard chickens: Gretchen, Ms. Mollie, and Olive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page