Splitting up vaccines - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Glad to have found this board!

I was doing some research and can see from this that Dr. Tellerman is no longer doing separate MMR vaccines. Does anyone know of any Dr's in the Baltimore area that would be willing to separate these or DTaP? I haven't been to Dr. Tellerman yet but I am looking for a new Ped since I want to delay a few more vaccines and I don't think my current Ped is going to be ok with it. We have our 18 month visit next week. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-16-2011, 06:45 AM

If I remember correctly the drug companies stopped manufacturing the separate vaccines but I believe they're scheduled to start production again, possibly this year or next. It's been a while since I read up on it so hopefully someone who's more in the know will respond.

#3 of 11 Old 02-16-2011, 11:25 PM

My ped just told us last week at DD's 6month that the DTaP just turned into a 5 in 1 shot. I think she said they added polio (I can't remember what the other two were for sure...). We're not vax so I wasn't paying too much attention... 

#4 of 11 Old 02-18-2011, 01:57 AM

I just called Merck and found out their plan to resume manufacturing the separate vaccines for MMR have been cancelled.  No other company does either so it will not be possible to split these up.

#5 of 11 Old 02-18-2011, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

ugh...My son has had his DTaP series when he was a baby now he is 18 months and due for his booster. I haven't done MMR, chicken pox, hep A or flu. Basically since my son has developed a ton of food allergies, some of the holistic Dr's I have been working with advise to hold off on them or split them up if possible. I've been trying my best and would have liked to been able to say I'll do it if we can split it up. Merck has probably cancelled the separate vaccine since it came out that "MMR doesn't cause Autism". I'm thinking of just skipping the booster.

#6 of 11 Old 02-18-2011, 10:57 AM

We haven't done any of the Hep and held off on MMR until DS was two and gave that alone. I'm hoping we can avoid chicken pox altogether but if he doesn't catch it on his own by a certain point and a titer shows no immunities then we'll get it done. We've been fortunate that our pedi (Dr. Jobes at Arundel Pediatrics) is comfortable with our vaccine plan.

#7 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 06:18 AM

Why not do titers? My son had off the charts titers for M, M & R after two shots, so I wish I'd skipped the booster.

#8 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 AM

Also, DTaP doesn't split.  Never has.

-Angela

#9 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 12:27 PM

You can get just the DT part though if you don't want the Pertussis component.  There just isn't a solo of any of them until over the age of 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

Also, DTaP doesn't split.  Never has.

-Angela

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#10 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amymaew View Post

You can get just the DT part though if you don't want the Pertussis component.  There just isn't a solo of any of them until over the age of 8.

Right.  But there is no solo pertussis and no solo diphtheria.  

-Angela

#11 of 11 Old 03-08-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amymaew View Post

There is a shot (diphtheria and tetanus, can't remember if it's Td or TD) for children under seven. And there is plain old tetanus for children over seven. There's also one (TD?) for adults 18 and over. I know because my child had the shot at age 6. Your doctor may have to order these. Mine did it for me, but he said they are rarely used, so he doesn't plan to order them again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page