Family camping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband and I used to camp a lot but mostly know Western Pa spots. I think we're finally at a point with the kids (they will be 6 and 3 this summer) to have a fun family time with it.

We have to get all new gear -- any suggestions on local places. We don't do certain corporate stores so independent are best.

And -- any suggestions for camping locations. Someone told me there are some treehouse camp sites (note to self, google that now).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 08:37 AM

We love to camp. Our favorite places to go are Rocky Gap State Park in western MD, Tuckahoe State Park on the eastern shore, and for private campgrounds (b/c for what it is worth to you, there is a no alcohol policy at MD State park campgrounds now--this hasn't been a huge problem for us though) we like The Treehouse Camp at Maple Tree Campground. This is probably the tree house place you heard about. We've always tent camped there, but I have checked out the the tree houses and the cottages are really nice! The tree houses, however, are VERY bare bones. Personally I prefer a tent...

Rocky Gap is great because it is in the mountains, has a beautiful lake (which I believe you can swim and boat in) and nice hiking. Tuckahoe is great if you like to kayak or canoe--they have beautiful water trails. Both are very dog friendly and have nice, private sites.

The Treehouse camp is also really nice, but lacks that expansive feel you get at a state park. But it backs to the AT, and they make coffee in the office for purchase each morning :-)

And for gear purchasing, we like REI and LL Bean. Neither are "local" but we have had great experiences with both standing behind their products. REI Outlet online is also a great way to get deals--I always order online, have it shipped to the local store for free, and then return anything I don't want before I leave the store.

Good luck and happy camping!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:49 AM

We love camping, took my DS for the first time when he was 6-7 mths.  I live in the Chicagoland area and we usually just stay at local places though, we haven't really traveled far for camping so can't help you there.  I'm getting excited for the warm weather so we can start going again.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

Old 02-17-2011, 09:01 AM

My favorite is Deep Creek Lake State Park in Maryland.. Just a three hour drive from Pittsburgh, great campground and lovely lake and lots of stuff to do. We went year-before last and had a blast hiking swimming horseback riding rent a boat mini golf nature center....

Also Laurel Hill State Park near Somerset is very nice and a very short drive from Pittsburgh.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:57 AM

We go to Harper's Ferry a lot - they have treehouse campgrounds there.  We have also done Gettysburg a few times. We tend to be partial to KOA's. Not very primitive, which makes it nice with young kids.

ds 3/06 familybed1.gif
Old 02-21-2011, 07:35 AM

Ooh, thanks for this thread! We've been talking about a camping trip a lot lately...I can't wait for the weather to get warmer!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

Old 03-01-2011, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I haven't been on to thank you all so much for your suggestions. I'm getting excited to get out there as a family!

User Tag List