Please offer provider suggestions for Mom in Maryland with transverse baby at 33 weeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-22-2011, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 33 weeks pregnant, and recently learned that our baby is transverse. I travel from Southern Maryland for midwifery care. Today, the midwife mentioned scheduling a version (ECV), but after reading about the risks with an anterior placenta, I'm not comfortable with one.

In addition to Spinning Babies techniques, we are now looking into finding providers trained in the Webster technique and moxibustion who have good success rates with turning transverse babies.

I don't mind driving, but it would be great if I could find someone close to California, MD.
#2 of 3 Old 02-22-2011, 05:31 AM

I can only offer the name of one chiro 2 hours north of you in Ellicott city. I don't have any personal experience but I've heard her recommended several  times for Webster technique and possibly moxibustion.

Her name is Tracy Ball.

http://www.activehealthchiropractic.com/activehealthchiropractic/index.php

I ALSO wanted to offer some encouragement to stay strong with the spinning babies technique.  My second was head down up until 30 weeks and decided flip heads up! uhg! It took somewhere from 4-6 weeks to finally get heads down again... soooo exhausting and time consuming.  I was expecting it to just happen once I got it 'right' but it was very gradual almost like my uterus and ligaments had to get used to the idea of letting her spin back heads down.  She was diagonal for a couple weeks and then transverse for a while and then FINALLY I directed her heads down.

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

#3 of 3 Old 02-22-2011, 09:06 AM

Transverse can be normal up until this point, but if you're having any lower back or hip pain with it, you need to get treated as soon as possible. Dr. Carol Phillips in Annapolis is, IMHO, the best anywhere around here. She's a chiropractor who specializes in pre-natal techniques, especially baby positioning. She goes all over the world teaching her techniques and is just excellent (and one of the nicest medical professionals you'll ever meet---she's also been a doula at over 700 births and is very pro-natural birth to boot :). Her treatments are gentle and involve a lot of massage (she does cranio-sacral and myofascial release techniques as well). Straight chiro didn't help me, but her techniques worked like magic and felt sooooo good!  She's totally worth the drive from California (she has pregnant patients who travel in from other states!)

I saw her for help after my 3rd baby (first two were also malpositioned) was transverse starting around week 32. I did the techniques on Spinning Babies but realized around week 37 that I needed more help. I found Dr. Phillips' name as the one who trained the Spinning Babies webmaster. After two visits with her (each a little over an hour) my son turned head down, stayed that way, and I had my first "normal" labor after my previous two had been excruciating back labors with extended pushing. I almost didn't make it to the hospital in time---the pain was so much less and pushing took 10 minutes! My best birth ever joy.gif

You need to know, too, that sitting transverse or in any funny position can affect the development of the baby's neck muscles. Dr. Phillips warned me to watch for signs of torticollis (or wry neck), and sure enough, my son did have it slightly. I really wish I had found her earlier and that would have saved the treatment my son needed for his torticollis. The sooner you get your baby's position remedied, the better. 

Check our her website at: http://www.dynamicbodybalancing.com/

She has a link to her appointment calendar there, but if you can't find openings, she has her phone number there. Don't hesitate to call her and ask about any additional times she may have open. She's really eager to help any pregnant patients that she can. love.gif

Best wishes for a smooth delivery!

ETA: Dr Phillips has an excellent success rate in healing moms so babies can turn themselves. She recently published a study in a chiropractic journal documenting some of her successes, and I'm one of her case studies :)

Healthy_Baby likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page