Jury Duty when breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-22-2011, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been summoned to jury duty and I'm a breastfeeding mom.  Has anyone been in this situation?  Is it legal to postpone duty until my baby is weaned?  Would there be privacy and time to pump if I have to go?  

#2 of 11 Old 02-23-2011, 05:29 AM

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1036710/questions-about-jury-duty

here's my experience - in short i got off but i was also pregnant and that was more likely the cause for my excusal.  

i'd also suggest cross posting this question to a different thread though i'm not sure which.... 

http://www.mothering.com/community/search.php?search=jury+duty+breastfeeding&containingforum[]=564&output=all&action=disp

perhaps some of these threads will hold some answers for you.

Good luck!

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

#3 of 11 Old 02-23-2011, 05:53 AM

I was bf'ing when I got called for jury duty.  I called the number on the form and told them and they gave me a pass.  No problems whatsoever :)

ds 3/06 familybed1.gif
#4 of 11 Old 02-23-2011, 06:56 PM

i also got a pass on jury duty when dd was about 6 weeks old for BFing....I had my dr write me a note though.

Melanie wife and mama
#5 of 11 Old 02-24-2011, 07:26 PM

I'm not sure if there are county to county differences.  I'm in Baltimore city and they seem to summon me every 12 months on the dot :(

I was most recently summoned when DD was 7 months, and called to explain I was BFing.  They said they would let me off until she turns 1.  That is very soon, and she won't be weaned by then.  The woman on the phone did not seem sympathetic at all, and said something about how most children are weaned by then, and that my DD probably would be too.  I didn't see any point in arguing with her then.

However, I'm not sure what to do if I get summoned after her 1st birthday.  Anyone have experience with that?  

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#6 of 11 Old 02-25-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizsky View Post

I was most recently summoned when DD was 7 months, and called to explain I was BFing.  They said they would let me off until she turns 1.  That is very soon, and she won't be weaned by then.  The woman on the phone did not seem sympathetic at all, and said something about how most children are weaned by then, and that my DD probably would be too.  I didn't see any point in arguing with her then.

However, I'm not sure what to do if I get summoned after her 1st birthday.  Anyone have experience with that?  

I was worried about the same thing - ds was maybe about 18 months when I got summoned.  I just told them I was "breastfeeding my baby".  I didn't mention how old he was and they didn't ask.  ( I live in MoCo)

ds 3/06 familybed1.gif
#7 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 AM

My sister walked into jury duty with baby in tow... they let her go back home, but that was in North Carolina. 

#8 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 04:53 PM

I think here if you are the sole care provider for a young child during the day that you get off upon request.  I got off twice. 

I would have definitely brought my child with me as I did not have any form of childcare.  But they really did not even blink an eye.  I do not think age mattered FWIW except that there might be a 5yo cutoff due to the assumptions about school.  I think it would apply even if you are not breastfeeding if you are the only available care for your child.  Just call.  There shouldn't be any problem.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#9 of 11 Old 03-08-2011, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

I was told that there will be a private place to pump in their office, that I can't bring the baby, and that others have done it.  This is pg county.  I really do not mind doing a day, but I will be a mess if this goes to trial. 

#10 of 11 Old 03-08-2011, 11:51 AM

Just make sure you emphasize your situation when they call you in.  You might just get off anyway.

Either that or call back and speak to someone else... different time on a different day.  Or have your husband make the call if you really don't want to go in.

Good luck!

#11 of 11 Old 03-08-2011, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page