baltimore : discount food shopping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-03-2011, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Baltimore people, do you have good suggestions on where to get good deals on groceries? I read in the frugality and finances forum of all these people who get amazing deals on groceries at the scratch and dent stores, discount food shops, etc.....  I find the local shops (safeway, giant, etc...) to be kind of on the pricey side, but havent' found any good alternatives..., the best I've ever done is Sprawl-Mart. (which i'm not a big fan of)   Any supermarkets that are good for basic food items: noodles, rice, conventional produce,etc...

thanks!

#2 of 6 Old 03-04-2011, 07:32 AM

I like H-Mart in Catonsville for produce, but it's not worth the trip if I'm not already in the area. I also buy a lot of our canned goods and such at Aldi, there are several of them around the city and surrounding areas.  

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#3 of 6 Old 03-04-2011, 10:06 AM

A food store I would luuuvv to see around here is an Amazing Savings Market (http://amazingsavingsmarkets.com). They're a close-out store that sells close-dated shelf goods and toiletries (mostly from organic and health-food retailers) as well as discount fresh organic produce, local dairy, meat, and eggs. Let me just say that I stocked up on Kiss My Face products when we were visiting family at Christmas---they were 75% off retail!!

Seems like this make a great business opportunity in this area!

#4 of 6 Old 03-06-2011, 08:49 PM

i also go to the H-mart in catonsville. last week they had red peppers for 0.79/pd!  and their stuff in good. the only veg i don't like from there is celery. i live in columbia, so it is worth the 20 minute drive.

#5 of 6 Old 03-08-2011, 11:10 AM

I was just going to make a thread about the same thing... I really, really want to stop shopping at Walmart. I avoided them for years and only started going back when I was unemployed because the prices are so low.

I've also been to H-Mart and I love it. Very close to there is a Big Lots that I recently bought a case of Horizon organic chocolate milk boxes at for a good price. They do have organic food mixed in with the junk, you just have to look around for it. There's a Big Lots in Parkville too, but I haven't been to that one. However, I've been to several Big Lots in other states and they all seem to have at least some organic.

When I lived in FL, there were lots of little discount bakeries and things like that around...I miss that! I really want to find more places around here.

I also do the matching coupons to grocery sales ads thing at the regular grocery stores...that has helped a lot and I've been able to stock up on some items when I happen to find a good match.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#6 of 6 Old 03-15-2011, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

Save-A-Lot?  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page