Where to move - Columbia, Ellicott City, Silver Spring or Annapolis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 03-13-2011, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are going to be moving to Maryland from Canada and I want to move to a enlightened neighborhood around Fort Meade.

We are a plant-based diet eating, home-birthing, delayed/non-vaxxing,co-sleeping, tv-less family of five (6 month old, 2 and 5 yr old).

We are not concerned about the house prices.  But we want:

- other people who share our values (and a way to meet them)

- access to safe (preferable nice scenery) running and biking

- access to play parks, swimming and other activities for the kids

- organic, vegetarian food choices (groceries and restaurants)

- access to health care whom are accepting of our choices

How and where is your neighborhood?  What do you like about it and what don't you like?

My other concern is school for my eldest.  I have been checking out schools on-line and I am surprised about the school lunch.  I find a lot of fried food/meat/white bread.  How do you deal with that?  My choices for schools are either public or catholic private.  Any recommendation for schools?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 03-13-2011, 07:05 AM

I have not been back to MD in a long time, but used to live in Columbia and lived a year in Silver Spring. It USED to be that Columbia or Ellicott City would be perfect for you but Im out of touch so long I hesitate to say more than than that.

Your problem is the Fort Meade has a LOT of very conservative contractors/military folks based there so I would get on line on Yahoo or other places and find mothering style groups and see where they are based in. 

Best of luck!

#3 of 25 Old 03-13-2011, 07:39 AM

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#4 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 08:10 AM

I live in Ellicott City and I think you'd like the Ellicott City/Columbia area. Especially Columbia- lots of parks and walking/biking trails, CSAs, natural food stores (David's Natural Market is my favorite, but there are several others), veggie restaurants (Great Sage and Mango Grove (Indian) are particularly good), etc...

There are a few really good pediatricians, lots of chiros and acupuncturists, a few excellent midwives, but not much in the way of holistic docs for adults. I've found an Internist who's happy to answer questions and happy to record my refusal/alternative once we've had the discussion. This area has a lot of highly educated people, so the medical system seems used to questions. 

There are a lot of conventionally-living people around here, but also a lot of granola in varying degrees.

I, too, find the school lunches kind of shocking, but IMO that pales to the overriding philosophy of Howard County Schools, which seems to be "every child is a special snowflake who should go to a big-name university." So it's really a big college-prep system with little to nothing when it comes to vocational options. Sports (soccer and lacrosse, epsecially) are big in the schools, but so are the arts. About 80% of the middle schoolers in our neighborhood play an instrument, judging by the cases and drum sticks seen at bus stops. :)

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

#5 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the input. I am happy to hear that there like minded people in the area.

The whole area sounds nice.  I like the pathways in Columbia. I haven't looked into Ellicott City and Silver City too much yet.  Clarksville sounds nice too (veg restaurant, store, good schools, paths).  Do regular grocery store carry organic produce/product in MD?

It is a relieve to hear about good pediatricians and midwives.  It makes me feel a lot better knowing those people are available.  Perhaps when we are committed to a location I can lean on you to provide me with some contact information.

LaurenAnanas I also have a 2 year old daughter, perhaps after we move we can meet up :)

Thanks so much

#6 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 01:01 PM

Sure thing!

Most regular grocery stores carry some organic produce and products. Between the big chain groceries, smaller local chains, and local specialty stores, you can find almost everything you're looking for. 

FYI- parts of Clarksville (and Ellicott City and Jessup) are also part of Columbia (some areas are just Columbia). Technically, Columbia is a giant privately managed housing development. For example, a friend of mine with an Ellicott City street address lives across the street from one of the Columbia Village Centers and pays Columbia Association fees.  And Roots and Great Sage are in Clarksville...across the street from another Columbia Village Center.

#7 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 01:29 PM

I second LaurenAnanas' description of Columbia/Ellicott City/Clarksville within range of "The Conscious Corner" (http://www.consciouscorner.com/) where Great Sage, Bark, Nest, and Roots are, as well as several other good veggie-option restaurants in the area. I live in Columbia and I love the interconnected trails system that weaves through the neighborhoods, plus the various parks and lakes. If you are interested, take a look at the Wikipedia article on Columbia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia,_md) it gives some of the history and information on how the villages and neighborhoods are organized. For example, each village has a village center with a community center/interfaith center, a grocery store and a high school and each neighborhood has a smaller neighborhood center with a pool and a restaurant or two (at least most of them do, I think). I myself am fairly new to the area and am still figuring all this out, but I do think it's pretty neat and I think that it is set up really well for families. I live in the Thunder Hill neighborhood of Oakland Mills (the other thing is that the names of the communities and streets are themed, which is hilarious) and I love taking the trails through my neighborhood with my dogs. There are at least 5 "tot lot" playgrounds withing easy walking distance of my house, and so is the Elementary School (Thunder Hill Elementary) which is supposed to be very good (I don't actually have kids yet, but I am looking forward to walking them to school, something I could never do growing up).

Anyway, consider this my vote for Columbia and if you have any other questions let me know. I also agree with Rani that you're going to find more conservative types over by Ft. Meade. Howard County or closer to DC might be the best bet for you from what you have described winky.gif

27 y/o treehugger.gif  & DH geek.gif married 7/3/10. Living in Maryland with 3 cat.gifand 2 dog2.gifand one luxlove.gif on the way!

Our Easter BFP pos.gif will bring us a New Years Baby due 12/30

#8 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

So much to discover.  It sounds like we will likely settle in/around Columbia.

I am happy that I have the internet available to reach out to you and to be able to look at things on-line.  Thunder Hill looks nice (streetscape) and your school has an excellent score (greatschools) and it is good to understand the village/neighbourhood concept though I still find this Columbia and not Columbia private housing development a bit confusing but I guess it should not matter that much to me.

I would love to be able to walk the kids to school.  That was what I did when I was a kid (well I walked myself but it was nice and only 200 meters...)

#9 of 25 Old 03-17-2011, 11:28 AM

Have you started looking at homes yet? What are you planning to move? Good luck with your search!

27 y/o treehugger.gif  & DH geek.gif married 7/3/10. Living in Maryland with 3 cat.gifand 2 dog2.gifand one luxlove.gif on the way!

#10 of 25 Old 03-23-2011, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

We will be moving for July.  We are looking at renting a house since we will be in the US for only 3 years.

We have looked on-line for a bit and with further investigation we really like Clarksville.

#11 of 25 Old 03-23-2011, 07:43 AM

Cool! I don't know much about the rental climate around here but I would imagine with the market doing poorly that people might be more inclined to try to rent their house than sell it. Good luck!

#12 of 25 Old 03-23-2011, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, we are hoping that we can convince a seller to become a renter.  There aren't many detached home rentals.

Are house prices continuing to drop or are houses just not selling?

#13 of 25 Old 03-24-2011, 06:48 AM

House prices are pretty stable around here actually, and things are moving- probably thanks to the Ft. Meade expansions! What makes a difference is the condition of the house- things in good condition go very, very quickly. Houses that are not as nice sell eventually. Four decent houses in my neighborhood have sold within a week or two of listing since January, and the one house that is clearly a mess has been on the market for half a year.

We're just heading into real estate season here, so I'm sure you'll find something within the next month or so.

#14 of 25 Old 03-27-2011, 09:02 PM

I grew up in Ellicott City/Clarksville/Columbia area and lived there with my husband and daughter until 2 years ago.  Now we live in Perry Hall with our kids (4 and 3 months).  Ellicott City and surrounding areas are a great place to live, but definitely dont expect to strike up an agreeable conversation on the dangers of vaccines or your amazing home birth.  People will look at you like you have three eyes.  There are just way too many doctors living here.  I grew up with 2 doctors living on my street alone.  Allopathic medicine is the norm.  I do have a GREATTT non-traditional doctor I go to in Columbia, PM me if you're interested.  I also found a pedi who wont shove vaccines down your throat, which is nice!  Especially considering how many we had to go through until we found her!  I just had a home birth with a practice out of Catonsville, so thats available too.  But none of these things are common by any stretch in the EC/Columbia/Clarksville area.  That being said, the more of us that move there, the less true that statement will be!  I wish you the best with your move!  If you need any more info dont hesitate to PM!  Good luck with the move!!

#15 of 25 Old 03-28-2011, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  I will definitely contact you for pedi info (once we have lined up a place to rent).  I still need to convince hubby about one more baby, so hopefully I will be able to contact you for home birth info :)

I like Clarksville because there is an organic store and a vegan friendly restaurant.  I am hoping that draws more like-minded people to the area.

Thanks for a the info and the best wishes.

#16 of 25 Old 04-10-2011, 09:11 AM

Just wanted to say there are two all Natural/Organic stores in Columbia

Davids Natural Market on Lynx Lane (near the mall) and MOM's, aka My Organic Market on Route 1 which I guess is technically Jessup but its very close to Columbia.  MOM's is cheaper but smaller.  We also have a Trader Joes nearby which stocks a TON of organic/vegan options and everything there is pretty natural as in they use no GMOs and I dont even think HFCS if I remember correctly.

I shop at Giant which is a huge store and Im able to get organic meat, cheese, milk and veggies/fruits no problem.  Giant has their own organic brand called "Nature's Promise" that Ive found to be really great and easy to find.  Affordable too!

We are moving to Florida from Columbia and I will miss the parks and trails but not the weather!

We sold our house in Columbia in less than a week :)

#17 of 25 Old 04-10-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.  I will have to check out the grocery stores.  Currently I get my organic fruit and vegetables from the big grocery chains so I am think I would be happy with a Giant.  Only once in a while I go to the all natural stores and it is good that they are available nearby.

As for the weather, I am from Canada.  MD winters are a definitely improvement for me.  It is all relative to what you are used to redface.gif

#18 of 25 Old 04-10-2011, 12:10 PM

Have you looked at Bethesda? I would love to live in Bethesda, but just can't afford it. I would definitely avoid any place in Prince George's County if schools are a priority for you. Silver Spring is one place we're looking at, along with Kensington. 

#19 of 25 Old 04-10-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

We have thought of Silver Spring and Bethesda - we like that it is more urban but it would add the hubby's commute time and we want to minimize the commute.  We would definitely visit there for restaurants and shops.

Right now we are looking at Elicott City because we have found a school we like which would take our daughter even though she is born between Sept 1 and Dec 31 (our school year end is December 31).

#20 of 25 Old 04-10-2011, 04:03 PM

Gotcha, that makes sense. I didn't know where he would be commuting to. I just love to Bethesda. I would love to live there..... someday :)

#21 of 25 Old 05-11-2011, 09:01 PM

You've probably already settled on a location - but I wanted to add my vote.   Given what you have said, I personally think Silver Spring is your best bet.  Columbia is really pretty but can have a very suburban vibe.  Silver Spring, especially closer to downtown has a much crunchier vibe.  Takoma Park too, but that is a slightly more annoying commute. 

I live in Old Greenbelt which offers fewer "amenities" but has a fairly crunchy and very community-oriented vibe.  Also the commute to Ft Meade is 10-15 minutes. 

#22 of 25 Old 05-20-2011, 01:32 PM

I live in the Annapolis area and I love it here. Lots of great parks, access to the Chesapeake Bay (and other water-based fun), a small but active natural parenting community, and lots of great shopping (including excellent consignment shops). Less walkable, it is true, unless you live in downtown Annapolis, but the school are not so great there, so you'd have to do private school. There are 2 private Montessori schools in Annapolis and several other excellent private schools. Also the rental market definitely includes single-family homes (what we call detached houses here)! I should mention there are 2-3 farmers markets and lots of road side farm stands. :)

I am astoundingly lucky! Mother to my beloved child since 01/06/07. Fighting cancer since 09/06/07.
#23 of 25 Old 05-21-2011, 11:10 PM

Sugar, I'm near annapolis - what farmers markets are you talking about??? :) I'm always in need of a great place to shop! 

#24 of 25 Old 05-22-2011, 06:22 PM

There's one at City Dock, not sure exactly when--weekends? I run into it at odd times it seems. One at the official spot on the corner of Riva Rd and Harry S. Truman Blvd (official web site http://aacofarmersmarket.com/), and one in the mall parking lot (but maybe that one's only in winter? i don't go to the mall much).

I am astoundingly lucky! Mother to my beloved child since 01/06/07. Fighting cancer since 09/06/07.
#25 of 25 Old 05-23-2011, 05:55 PM

I agree that Columbia is probably a good place to look around!  I live in Elkridge, which is close to all of those places.  For rental homes, I suggest searching the MLS.   Here is a link we searched to find houses for rent on the MLS.  The landlords pay real estate agents, so you don't have to pay to find a house rental!

Good luck!

http://www.fortmeadehomes.com/bin/web/real_estate/AR40813/ACTIVATE_FRAMES/EXTRA1/Millersville/1302622145.html

It's Howard county!

Also, you might enjoy Annapolis-  it's got a great feel to it- lots of shops and restaurants and many choices for grocery, health food stores, etc.   And it's by the water which is nice!

Annapolis is anne arundel county.

Mom to DD born 12/2007, DS born 2/2012 and a on the way January 2015

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page