Fed employee Blue Cross Blue Shield and Nurse Midwife or OB recommendations in Ellicott City/Columbia/Catonsville? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-15-2011, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone might give me some advice/recommendations on OBs or Nurse Midwives that are covered by Fed employee blue cross blue shield in Ellicott City/Columbia/Catonsville?  I haven't decided on a home birth (primarily because our current apartment doesn't have space for a birthing tub) or a birthing center, or the hospital (although I'm not sure if the hospitals around here allow a water birth - which is definitely what I do want).  I heard there's a birthing center in Arnold, but it might be a bit far from me - I'm just between Catonsville and Ellicott city off of 40.  This will be my second, I had my first at home with a birthing tub and it was great.  Any advice will be appreciated.

thanks in advance!

#2 of 9 Old 03-15-2011, 01:26 PM

Are you standard or basic?

As far as I know, almost every local OB practice and hospital-privileged Midwifery practice is in-network. But if you want a waterbirth, or an unmedicated birth even, you probably want to avoid Howard Co. Hospital. You may be able to do water birth with Kathy Sloane's CNM practice at Mercy in the city, and there is also a midwifery group at Maryland General.

For homebirth, Evelyn Mulhan, CNM, in Catonsville is in-network. I think she also has privileges at St. Agnes.

Special Beginnings in Arnold is in-network and I had my first there. They have tubs.

If you have Standard coverage (Basic only covers in-network providers) you can get partial coverage for homebirth CNMs who are out-of-network (there are a few, you can PM me if you want more info). There is no gap exception coverage for homebirth, and coverage is restricted to CNMs (CPMs are excluded).

I had a good experience at Special Beginnings but elected to go with an out-of-network homebirth CNM this time. I expect to be reimbursed for about 65% of the costs.

It will costs less than many women's deductibles, but an in-network provider would have been covered at 100%.

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

#3 of 9 Old 03-16-2011, 07:28 AM

I can't answer the insurance question but I just wanted to chime in and let you know NOT to go to Howard County General Hospital if you want a water birth.  They have two rooms with tubs but it's just a standard size bathtub.  In hindsight I wish I would have requested a room with a shower instead of the tub.  I'm planning a home birth when I get pregnant again, already have my tub :)

Your best bet for a water birth out of your house is probably Special Beginnings.

#4 of 9 Old 03-16-2011, 07:41 AM

I don't have too much to add, but I have the Fed BCBS basic and decided to go with Special Beginnings. I also considered Evelyn and Kathy's group at Mercy. Evelyn does primarily homebirths but now also delivers at St. Agnes, where they don't have tubs (or at least didn't tell me they did when I toured there). I believe there are two tubs at Mercy, so they don't guarantee that you get one. Special Beginnings has tubs in every room (and will also put up a large inflatable tub if you want for an extra charge).

All of these options would be covered at 100% through my insurance, except I would have to pay for Evelyn's birth assistant out of pocket and the optional inflatable tub at SB out of pocket.

Hope this helps!

#5 of 9 Old 03-17-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffgirl View Post

I don't have too much to add, but I have the Fed BCBS basic and decided to go with Special Beginnings. I also considered Evelyn and Kathy's group at Mercy. Evelyn does primarily homebirths but now also delivers at St. Agnes, where they don't have tubs (or at least didn't tell me they did when I toured there). I believe there are two tubs at Mercy, so they don't guarantee that you get one. Special Beginnings has tubs in every room (and will also put up a large inflatable tub if you want for an extra charge).

All of these options would be covered at 100% through my insurance, except I would have to pay for Evelyn's birth assistant out of pocket and the optional inflatable tub at SB out of pocket.

Hope this helps!

As of January, I was told Evelyn only does home births now, if she goes to St Agnes it would be due to emergency. Unless things have changed recently.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#6 of 9 Old 03-17-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post

As of January, I was told Evelyn only does home births now, if she goes to St Agnes it would be due to emergency. Unless things have changed recently.

I saw Evelyn for a well woman check last month and it's true - she only does home births now.

Arnold is less than an hour from Ellicott City - rt. 100 makes it nice and fast!

WOHM (29)...in love with my 3 boys - DH guitar.gif (39) , DS  nut.gif (9/17/08) and furry Jones dog2.gif. EDD 4/18/12 hbac.gif

#7 of 9 Old 03-17-2011, 11:42 AM

Gotcha, lillymonster. Yes, I was discussing a homebirth with Evelyn and was told St. Agnes was the backup hospital. That's all I know about her current situation and all I should have said in my prior post.

Thanks for clarifying!

#8 of 9 Old 03-17-2011, 09:49 PM

I work at Alternative Birth Choices. Evelyn does not currently offer hospital births. She is in the application process for privileges at a new hospital. That process can take months for anyone who does it. Hence the reason no other home birth CNM in Maryland right now even tries to have hospital privileges... 

#9 of 9 Old 04-05-2011, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all your info, I think I'll tour special beginnings. As long as I'm guaranteed a bithing tub I'm happy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page