Looking for recs - Breastfeeding support/classes, Anne Arundel County MD - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-25-2011, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  I'm developing a list of breastfeeding support groups, persons, and classes in AA County.  Do you use a post partum doula who provides breastfeeding support?  Did you go to breastfeeding classes at AAMC, BWMC, Special Beginnings, WIC?  What about private classes?  Do you attend breastfeeding support group meetings, like LLL, or through a private LC or peds office?  Did you go to an LC's office or have one come to your home?  Did your childbirth educator include information about breastfeeding in classes?  Have you found breastfeeding support groups for particular issues (multiples, working mom groups, etc?)  What about local online support?  To sum it up: when it comes to breastfeeding support in AA County, where have you been & what do you recommend?

In keeping with the MDC guidelines -- NO negative reviews, please!  (Although feel free to PM me in confidence.)  And please don't recommend your own business/service in this thread (but again please feel free to PM me that information).  I am looking within AA County only.  If a group/person/practice is based outside of the county, but will come into the county for support/care, that's great, but if you had to leave the county to find support then that would be useful for someone else's list. smile.gif

Thank, mamas!  I've been wanting to pull this together for awhile and finally have the time to do it.  And I'll share everything I find.  thumb.gif

Monique

IBCLC, LLLL, Mom to 3, obsessive baker, where's my coffee
#2 of 8 Old 03-26-2011, 05:39 PM

You are my AA County breastfeeding resource!  love.gif

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#3 of 8 Old 03-27-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

blowkiss.gif  Katy, you made my day! 

I know there is a depth of resources in AACounty county.  thumb.gif  Like:

La Leche League of Northern Anne Arundel (free):

Evening meetings 2nd and 4th Mondays at BWMC

Daytime meetings 3rd Fridays at Big Vanilla Pasadena

http://www.lllofmd-de-dc.org/NorthernAnneArundel.shtml

Kathleen Stahl at Annapolis Breastfeeding Care has home classes (for fee) and a working moms support group (free)

http://www.annapolisbreastfeedingcare.com/16015.html

Special Beginnings has a monthly Breastfeeding Basics class (free for clients, fee for non-clients)

http://www.specialbeginnings.com/outreach.html

AACo WIC has breastfeeding classes and support groups in Annapolis and Glen Burnie almost weekly (I believe only open to WIC clients):

http://www.aahealth.org/programs/children-services/babies/wic#breastfeeding

AAMC has breastfeeding classes but doesn't put a schedule or fee info online

contact Ask-A-Nurse at 410-573-5490 or 1-800-MD NURSE

BWMC has monthly Breastfeeding Essential Classes (for fee):

http://www.mybwmc.org/essentials-breastfeeding-2

... and I haven't even started looking at postpartum doulas or childbirth educators, other private practice LCs, and I'm sure there are more free support groups or mom networks out there, I would think? 

#4 of 8 Old 03-27-2011, 09:15 AM

I saw an LC in AA County, Kim Knight. She also ran the breastfeeding support group at AAMC when I went there.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#5 of 8 Old 03-27-2011, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post

I saw an LC in AA County, Kim Knight. She also ran the breastfeeding support group at AAMC when I went there.

Great, thank you!  Did you go to that support group often? 

Looks like the  AAMC breastfeeding support group meets 9am on the 2nd and 4th Thursday each month -- free but registration required.

Monique

#6 of 8 Old 03-27-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojumi View Post

Quote:

Great, thank you!  Did you go to that support group often? 

Looks like the  AAMC breastfeeding support group meets 9am on the 2nd and 4th Thursday each month -- free but registration required.

Monique

I think I only went 2-3 times, after I met Kim privately. I didn't even know she ran the group until a friend asked me to go with her. Then I moved to Carroll County.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#7 of 8 Old 04-06-2011, 09:39 PM

Kim doesn't always run those meetings.

Ann Faust came to my house and was incredibly helpful/supportive.  As was Laurel from SB, she seriously SAVED our bf relationship.  And the LLL group of N. AACo is AWESOME :)  The leaders are very knowledgeable, warm, welcoming and helpful.

#8 of 8 Old 04-07-2011, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysmom View Post
Ann Faust came to my house and was incredibly helpful/supportive.  As was Laurel from SB, she seriously SAVED our bf relationship.  And the LLL group of N. AACo is AWESOME :)  The leaders are very knowledgeable, warm, welcoming and helpful.

Thanks!  It is great to hear those positive reviews -- so glad you found the help you needed!  Did Laurel come to your home as well, or did you go to SB to see her?  And I share the feeling about LLL of NAA.  joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page