Reassure me about using the religious exemption in MD public schools - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-05-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I plan on using the religious exemption when we register DD for K in Maryland later this week...I've already printed and filled out my own copy of the form. Of course, I won't be bringing any immunization records, as "required." Just hoping to hear others experiences that it's No Big Deal. :) It's a one-on-one appointment, not an open registration day, so I'm nervous about being on the spot. innocent.gif

#2 of 10 Old 04-05-2011, 04:51 PM

In Baltimore City there is just a box on the form to check, nothing else necessary.  I assume it would vary by County, but it was no big deal in the city. 

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#3 of 10 Old 04-06-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyLinda View Post

In Baltimore City there is just a box on the form to check, nothing else necessary.  I assume it would vary by County, but it was no big deal in the city. 

Thank you! Did the school provide the form when you went to register? All I received was a verbal list of things to bring, including "immunization records." I printed this and planned to bring it with me.

#4 of 10 Old 04-07-2011, 08:56 AM

I used it for Nathan w/ no problem.    The person said....  You didnt bring his immunization records.   I said ... I signed the exemption at the bottom.   She said what religion are you I will have to get the school nurse to OK this ... The school secratary was walking by and said---- Um I wouldnt do that unless you want us in a law suit  she is protected by the supreme court.  ( I was sitting quietly)  The lady looked at her and said really.. she said yes and walked away.  That was that.

I found the secretary afterwards and said thanks.  She said she was tired of ( insert name of person doing intake) trying to pull that crap on parents and it was time to put her in her place.  Then said... My niece doesnt do all those vaccinations either. 

I laughed and left.  

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#5 of 10 Old 04-07-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! I love how it worked out for you--not having to say a word!

Yeah, that's the kind of reaction I'm afraid of. I'm in a pretty rural area and I'm not sure how many exemptions they deal with. DH and I are going together to present a united front...unfortunately, I think we might get less grief if Dad is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post

I used it for Nathan w/ no problem.    The person said....  You didnt bring his immunization records.   I said ... I signed the exemption at the bottom.   She said what religion are you I will have to get the school nurse to OK this ... The school secratary was walking by and said---- Um I wouldnt do that unless you want us in a law suit  she is protected by the supreme court.  ( I was sitting quietly)  The lady looked at her and said really.. she said yes and walked away.  That was that.

I found the secretary afterwards and said thanks.  She said she was tired of ( insert name of person doing intake) trying to pull that crap on parents and it was time to put her in her place.  Then said... My niece doesnt do all those vaccinations either. 

I laughed and left.  

#6 of 10 Old 04-07-2011, 11:58 AM

I was ready to say EVERYTHING the Secretary said.  I just didnt have to ;)  You will be fine.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#7 of 10 Old 04-08-2011, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Well, we had our appointment. There was NO box to sign or anything else on their paperwork about the exemption. I handed them my signed copy of the form I had printed out (link in PP)....

Now, I'm worried about the physical form that the Dr. has to fill out and return to the school, including the section on vaccinations.  (DD has had some vaxes, but we've since stopped). So, what does everyone do about that? Just cross out the section on vaxes? Include the vaxes your child HAS had, but still sign the religious exemption form?

#8 of 10 Old 04-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbaby View Post

Well, we had our appointment. There was NO box to sign or anything else on their paperwork about the exemption. I handed them my signed copy of the form I had printed out (link in PP)....

Now, I'm worried about the physical form that the Dr. has to fill out and return to the school, including the section on vaccinations.  (DD has had some vaxes, but we've since stopped). So, what does everyone do about that? Just cross out the section on vaxes? Include the vaxes your child HAS had, but still sign the religious exemption form?

I put a big N/A on it.   Look at the bottom of that form and see if it says something about a religious exemption.  on the back or the bottom of the last page

#9 of 10 Old 04-08-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post

I put a big N/A on it.   Look at the bottom of that form and see if it says something about a religious exemption.  on the back or the bottom of the last page

yeahthat.gif

I've only had to do this for various daycares (our oldest is only 2) but our pedis have always just written "No vaccinations on record" across the chart and I sign the exemption line. It's not that my kids don't have a vaccination record, it's just a blank one!

#10 of 10 Old 04-14-2011, 08:56 PM

I was nervous about registering my partially vaxed kids, but if you use the MD form (you can download it from the web) it has an area on the bottom where you sign saying you have a religious exemption. I quietly handed over all my paperwork, and for each kid was asked where the vax record was. I pointed out my signature on the form, and let them search around for the vaxes, which were included in a printout from the physician. I left the top area of the MD immunization form blank, even though my kids have some vaxes. Later, the nurse called me and asked why my kids were missing some vaxes, and I pointed out that I'd signed the form. "So you aren't doing any more vaxes?" she asked. "Yes," I said, and that was it. I find the less said the better. I had a harder time in my old state, which required a listing of vaxes you objected to and a statement of your religious beliefs. In MD, I was prepared to say that I didn't discuss my religious beliefs if I were asked, but no one asked me about them, whew!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page