Anyone live in MD and work in VA? (Tax ?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-09-2011, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My hubby has been offered a job just outside the DC area in Virginia. Maryland is so close, I wonder if we should consider living there (if we can find a rental property we like there). But I wonder what that means in regards to state income tax? Anyone know?

Also if anyone knows anything about the southern Maryland area, please share. Ideally, I'd love to live in an area a bit on the crunchy side....

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#2 of 8 Old 04-10-2011, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Without knowing where exactly he would work and where you planning on living, I would imagine overall, the commute might be...well awful, depending on which roads he would need to take. Where exactly in Virginia is the job? As far as income tax, if you live in MD, it would be for MD. This is very typical in the area, so his job would have no issues with doing it, in fact you may be able to his potential job any questions. I lived in MD and worked in Leesburg, VA for a long time, but I can't remember the percentage or anything taken out.

ETA: My BIL works in Virginia and lives in probably what is considered western MD, and takes back roads to work, so it's actually a little faster than living closer to Virginia because of traffic congestion, if that makes sense.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#3 of 8 Old 04-10-2011, 12:36 PM

I used to live in College Park and work in Herndon. It was..... Well, it was a miserable drive, even though my commute was sort of against traffic. 

The income tax thing isn't an issue. Lots of people do it.

Oh, and why are you preferring to live in MD? Personally, I like VA a lot better. 

#4 of 8 Old 04-10-2011, 02:36 PM

I lI live in Baltimore and commuted to Tysons Corner, VA and DC for 5 years.  Yeah.  It took about 2 years to get used to the commute, which added up to about 10-15 hours per week.  Doesn't affect taxes at all, your income is considered MD taxed.  I know a lot of my co-workers actually lived in West Virginia for rock-bottom housing and living costs (but poor schools, I guess).   Commute is bad no matter what if you are a Northern Virginia-area employee, unless you want to pay 3/4 million for a townhouse in the area.   Some folks lived in Waldorf too, but not too much further south as it's hard to get up to the Beltway from anywhere more southern. 

#5 of 8 Old 04-10-2011, 04:06 PM

Or if you buy a foreclosure :) Which is what we did. When we lived in VA before we moved to GA, my DH's commute was 20 minutes on a bike, less than 10 driving. We lived 3 or 4 miles from his work. It's possible, but it's not feasible for most people since, among other things, your location of work is often not constant. So while you could move to live close to one place of work, it's hard to know if you'll continue to be working there long-term. 

#6 of 8 Old 04-11-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

The job offer is in McLean which is way out of our price range for renting. We will be renting - not buying - because we don't know how long we will end up being in the area - could be a year, could be three, could be forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post

Oh, and why are you preferring to live in MD? Personally, I like VA a lot better. 

I know basically zip about the area and just wanted to entertainment all possibilities. I've only visited the DC area twice and the most recent time was over ten years ago. My hubby went to college in VA but he was down in Lexington.

ribbonpb.gif
#7 of 8 Old 04-11-2011, 02:34 PM

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I lived in DC for 10 years. We're about to move back after having been in Georgia for a few years. We're looking to be in Reston, or someplace close to it. That's a really easy commute to Mclean. I really like Reston. It has a lot of stuff within Reston that you don't end up having to leave the area for every last thing. It has a Whole Foods, a Trader Joe's, an outdoor shopping center that has lots of festivals and stuff, lots of community pools that you get membership to by living in Reston, parks, and so on. 

amydietrich likes this.
#8 of 8 Old 04-15-2011, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Nicole - Yes, that is very helpful. Reston is one of the towns that I've found rental property that I like. I am so looking forward to being near a Trader Joe's again!

There is a thread going in the Virginia tribal area of several MDCers moving to the NoVa area - you should pop by. It's the "where are the crunchy areas of NoVa" or something to that affect.

ribbonpb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page