Calling all Doulas! Need your advice! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-10-2011, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

...or Childbirth Educators, or Homebirthing mamas, or any one else who needs child care, short-notice.

I'm wondering if you ladies could give me a little guidance.  I'm moving back into the area in May.  I'm a Maryland native who has been living in Manhattan as a nanny for the past 18 months; I've been a nanny for 7+ years.  I also took an amazing DONA Birth Doula workshop with the one-of-a-kind Debra Pascali-Bonaro (the author of "Orgasmic Birth").  

I'm wondering what to focus on when I come home.  My first doula client is due on April 27th (in Baltimore...she's my best friend :-D), and I'd love to do some more birth doula work.  However, my bread and butter has always been childcare.  I'm really good at what I do, and I love it.  But scheduled, day-time nanny work is NOT compatible with doula work.  What if I needed to leave in the middle of a shift to attend a birth?!?

I was thinking that maybe I could combine the two.  In other words, being a childcare provider FOR doulas in the area, but only on-call when I wasn't at a birth (which would really only be 24-48 hours per month if I did 1-2 births).  

Think about about it this way.  Need someone to watch your kids before your husband gets home from work because you need to leave for a birth at 2pm? I'm available to hang out and help with homework.  Need to leave in the middle of the night to get to the hospital?  I can help get your kids ready for school early in the morning.  I'm comfortable watching several kids of different ages at the same time, and really want to create a cohesive community to allow doulas to do what they do best.  It would be an as-needed (much like "drop-in") basis, and I think it could be a pretty creative solution to a very real problem.

I'm also very in-tune with the community.  I'm a truly AP nanny, which I think is a real rarity.  I also educating myself on Montessori Infant education, and practicing natural family living within my own home.  

What do you think would be the market for something like this in the area?  Is it workable?  I know doulas in NYC have a huge issue with childcare, and I've been happy to provide service to this community (I've acted as a nanny for two birth doulas jsut starting their career here).  

Let me know what you think!!

pinkgeek likes this.

Mac + Nick Expecting someone new in late June 2014.  Remembering our 3    1 * * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 * *  40 * * 43
#2 of 7 Old 04-12-2011, 04:22 PM

Where exactly do you think you'll be relocating to?  If you decide to go back into childcare, we are looking for a part-time nanny (in NE Baltimore county) and know plenty of other AP families who could use one!  Good Luck!

#3 of 7 Old 04-13-2011, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying.  We are probably moving into the Northern Baltimore County area (Somewhere around Sparks / Butler / Glyndon area).  

I feel like I may end up just going back into straight childcare at the end of the day.  But I'd really love to try my hand at Doula work.  Unfortunately they just ARE NOT practical to do at the same time, but gosh darn-it I'm going to try to finagle a way! 

Either way, I'd love to keep in touch with anyone that needs childcare in the area, too.  Thanks for the tip! 

Mac + Nick Expecting someone new in late June 2014.  Remembering our 3    1 * * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 * *  40 * * 43
#4 of 7 Old 04-13-2011, 08:26 PM

What an AWESOME idea! If I still did doula work and you were in Frederick I would SO take you up on it! Hope it works out the way you want it to.

Jennie: Working mother to 3 and loving wife to my hubby for over 12 years
Emily 10 Taylor 8 Logan 6
#5 of 7 Old 04-14-2011, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, jenniepaige!  Do you have any recommendations on who to get in contact with, or who I could let know that I'm available to start this kinda of work?  Are there any doula groups or co-ops in the area that I could get into contact with?  Maybe talk to the midwives in the area too?

Any tips or advice would be REALLY appreciated redface.gif

#6 of 7 Old 07-07-2011, 01:42 PM

I would check out alldoulas.com for people in the area - there are groups on there for different regions.

Me: T (32), DH: M (33); (Miss you mom! 1/17/00)
Trying to learn/prep as much as I can in hopes of someday becoming a WAHM!
#7 of 7 Old 07-07-2011, 07:19 PM

There is a meeting of the Maryland Birth Network (Google) on Sat. afternoon.  The topic is postpartum doulas and you could probably meet some doulas there to start networking.  ICAN of Baltimore meetings will resume in the fall and we usually have some doulas attend each meeting.  There is a Baltimore/DC doula yahoo list and I believe a Northern Baltimore County doula networking group. 

-Barbara S.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page