**Urgent** External Version in Maryland / DC / PA? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-14-2011, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My friend's OB is threatening pre-term scheduled c-section because her baby is breech.  She wants to look into External Version, and as her doula and best friend, I'm trying to help her with that.  

Please tell me that someone knows a good doctor in the area that is skilled in this technique?!?  We are willing to travel.

Thank you!!!

Mac + Nick Expecting someone new in late June 2014.  Remembering our 3    1 * * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 * *  40 * * 43
#2 of 5 Old 04-15-2011, 11:01 AM

External version is very risky, IMO. She has to be ready for an immediate c-section if the baby goes into distress. A much better answer is to find someone to work on the MOM and get body issues worked out (she likely has pelvic issues) that are keeping the baby from turning him/herself in the proper position. You've got a number of safe options that likely will be very successful: chiropractic (Webster technique), acupuncture, or an osteopath (specifically a cranial osteopath) who does hands-on manipulation all are options to get the baby to turn himself.

After I had two malpositioned babes, a great chiropractor in Annapolis who specializes in pregnant women's and children's care, Dr. Carol Phillips, worked out my pelvic issues during my third pregnancy, and that birth (after babe being transverse for many weeks) was much faster and much less painful than my previous two. www.dynamicbodybalancing.com If you call her, she may know another resource closer to you (are you in NY?) Btw, Dr. Phillips does workshops teaching her techniques---great for doulas and other birth professionals!

Best wishes to you and your friend!

#3 of 5 Old 04-16-2011, 06:25 PM

Which area is she in?  That would help w/ recommendations.  As the previous poster said, there are some excellent chiro's in the area who are skilled in the webster technique and getting things aligned for the birth.  There are also acupuncturists who do moxibustion.  Let us know her general area.

I hope she has wonderful birth, she is lucky to have a helpful doula friend like you!

#4 of 5 Old 04-18-2011, 07:56 PM

Dr. Tchabo at VA Hospital Center (in Arlington) turned my son at a day shy of 38 weeks.  He does it in the L&D room.  Mine went very smoothly, i only had to have fetal monitoring and todorol or whatever the muscle relaxant is.  This was my second baby and I had lots of fluid and he was high up, so i think i was a "good candidate."  the actual version was over in less than 10 seconds and i went on to have my son at a birth center 3 weeks later with no issues.

I also was seeing Dr. Sean Woods (also in VA) for chiro adjustments.  He is webster certified. 

[FONT="Verdana"]Kate, mom to S(6/07) and Y(3/10)
#5 of 5 Old 04-18-2011, 11:16 PM

Dr. Atlas at Mercy does them.  I know there are risks, but in 11 years in the birth business, none of my clients or anyone I know of has had one.  Just saying...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page