Health dept. requiring more proof of pregnancy due to homebirth with Midwife - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-19-2011, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone recenlty tried to register a homebirth that they are now requiring the name of the Midwife and/or documents proving you were pregnant and that the baby is yours or they will do a paternity test???

My midwife was KC and I know she wants to remain unknown.

This is something new as I have had two other births with her and has never had this much trouble with the health dept. Seem like they are getting stricker and demanding more proof.

#2 of 12 Old 04-20-2011, 12:28 PM

What a pain in the ass. Which Health Dept. are you dealing with? I'm getting close to my home birth in Howard and would like to know what to expect, as I'm also using an unlicensed midwife.

In my case, I did get an ultrasound at 20 weeks, so I guess that report would work. Did you do any prenatal testing with a lab or anything?

Did they come up with any legal justifications or backing for the requirements? I'm thinking they'd need a subpoena to get any samples from you or your baby, unless you consent. It would probably be a cheek swab, so not particularly invasive, but still...

Does a paternity test even include the mother's DNA? Are both parents covered in that kind of test?

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

#3 of 12 Old 04-20-2011, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

They will test me and the baby. I am in Prince George County, I guess it is a new thing because I delivered my daughter in this County too and there was no problem. I delivered my son in Baltimore and that was fine also.

I didn't have any test done. If they don't get proof they just wouldn't sign off for him to recieve his birth certificate.

The nurse is comming Fri. to look at the baby which is long overdue, seems like my response letter went to the wrong office in the building and took a while as my soon is already 2 1/2 months.

#4 of 12 Old 04-21-2011, 09:20 PM

Lauren,Howard sucks for trying to get a birth certificate.  Call me and I will give you the 411 on how they approach it and what I did.  PG and Howard seem to give folks trouble.  Other counties not so much. 

#5 of 12 Old 04-21-2011, 09:23 PM

Prince George's did this to a client of mine.  We got client to write up an affidavit and lawyer called and told them they could not withhold the certificate because they could not point to a law or regulation that allowed them to do so.  Sorry, but you may need to involve an attorney.  I did for PG.  They even threatened her because she was not a citizen, just a legal resident.  They were awful and way beyond the scope of their guidelines.

#6 of 12 Old 04-22-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post

Prince George's did this to a client of mine.  We got client to write up an affidavit and lawyer called and told them they could not withhold the certificate because they could not point to a law or regulation that allowed them to do so.  Sorry, but you may need to involve an attorney.  I did for PG.  They even threatened her because she was not a citizen, just a legal resident.  They were awful and way beyond the scope of their guidelines.

I guess the situation needs to get address or everyone that has a homebirth in PG will have to do this to get a birth certificate. I might just do the test.

The health nurse did tell me that one of the proofs can be a health nurse comming out to withness that someone is pregnant and she will be willing to come out and verify pregnancy of someone who plans on having a homebirth so they would not have to go through all of this.

She also said an ultrasound with the person name or some document proving pregnancy will also be fine.

#7 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 09:22 PM

I had mine in howard but my MW applied.  the health dept. did get a bunch of stuff wrong on it and we had to get a new one though... his middle name was spelled wrong, even his birth weight was wrong...

#8 of 12 Old 06-03-2011, 10:43 AM

I have finished the process with Howard and had no problems!

We had to go in to the office off of Columbia Gateway to meet with the nurse, no one came to our house. We gave them a copy of my ultrasound report, showed ID and proof of residence (utility bill), answered a bazillion questions on a form, and let the nurse watch while we did a diaper change so she could "verify sex." Our ped faxed a report from the baby's first exam.

I went back this morning because we missed 1 of about 10 required signatures and we had a nice chat about breastfeeding. I don't know if it was luck of the draw and we just got a nice nurse but she was very friendly and respectful during the whole process.

Oh, and she did say that you could go in while pregnant to have them verify the pregnancy.

#9 of 12 Old 06-04-2011, 08:13 AM

"Verify Sex"?????

Maybe this is just me, but I find that bizarre.  I mean, I don't care if somebody sees the baby while I change him....but to be required to show it?  

#10 of 12 Old 06-04-2011, 02:04 PM

Yeah, it was the weirdest part to me too. They won't even take the pediatrician's word for it.

#11 of 12 Old 06-06-2011, 10:24 AM

I had mine in Howard a year and a half ago.  It wasn't too bad.  Over the phone, they had told me to expect that the babies would have to be undressed to verify sexes, but once at the Health Dept, no one ever asked.  I had some documentation from doctors that I had seen before I decided on the HB, and that was sufficient proof of pregnancy.

The most painful part was that the person I needed to talk to was incredibly difficult to get in touch with, and she never returned my calls.  And then when the birth certificates arrived, the twins had different last names, so we had to get this all fixed.  Everyone we dealt with was friendly, but their attention to detail/level of competence was questionable!

#12 of 12 Old 06-06-2011, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)

Having the same problems here too.  I'm having the health nurse out this week with a prenatal blood draw as my "proof" of pregnancy and will post here to let you know if that was good enough.  It's something to be aware of for sure for HB mamas in the area.  It's a total bummer to be saddled with as the parents of a newborn - grr!   

ETA: it is my understanding that this is new since the fall and, yes, it 's worse in certain counties.  But, here in Baltimore City, I'm having trouble as well.  It's kind of hard to prove pregnancy after the fact.  irked.gif   I will say that the health nurse I'm dealing with is very nice and understanding.  I just wish I had known that this was an issue before I had had the baby.   For anyone who is still pregnant (with a CPM) and doesn't object to having a pregnancy visit with a licensed MW/OB that is what I would have done in retrospect.  I would have taken the form to her/him and had the pregnancy verified.  I realize that what they are asking is unreasonable and perhaps against the law but it's just not a fight I wanted to be having with a young baby to take care of.  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page