GP recommendation for father - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-26-2011, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is probably a long shot. My parents live in the Annapolis area. My dad is 68 years old and was a very, very healthy man for most of his life. In the last 7 years his health has declined rapidly (diabetes, hbp, dementia, depression) and he is on a cocktail of medications that makes my head spin. He now spends his days napping, riding around in a car with my mom while she goes on errands, in a fog of memory loss. He has no diagnosis for his dementia because it is not getting worse (he was initially diagnosed with AD, but now they are doubting that). I think a lot of it is due to his medications - he is on 3 psychotropic meds, anti-epilepsy meds, 2 memory meds, plus hpb and cholesterol lowering. It is truly baffling and EVERY doc he sees does not see a problem with this horrific cocktail. And I am serious when I say, 7 years ago he was on NOTHING and was just fine (no hbp, diabetes, only slight memory issues). My parents put their full trust in doctors and my mom doesn't want to question them. My mom also think meds can solve anything, so she is hesitant to believe they are causing problems. I feel like the only sane person in an insane asylum and just want to find an MD who will take a clear, unbiased look at his health and meds. I just want someone to step back and ask WHY is he on all this??? Like I said, my parents are very mainstream, so a ND won't work - they need an MD. Any suggestions?

#2 of 5 Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 PM

Dr. Mark Sivieri, MD.  He went to Georgetown if Im not mistaken.  He is amazing.  In Columbia, MD.  He wont overprescribe just to get you out of his office.  He will spend as long as it takes with you on the first appt.  Whatever is going on with your dad, he will figure it out.  Make sure you have your dad write down (or maybe you type it up for him) all his symptoms and details about when they started, so that Dr. Sivieri can get a good picture so as to make the best assessment for treatment.  I even take my babies to him instead of a pedi.smile.gif

#3 of 5 Old 08-15-2012, 11:29 AM

Dr. Alan Weiss is very thorough and will consider possibilities that most doctor's will not address. He treated my complex illness when other doctors could not. He's in your area and I'd highly recommend him. 

1819 Bay Ridge Ave
Suite 200
Annapolis, Md 21403 
(Next door to the SPCA)
(410) 266 3613

(410) 266 6104 (Fax)
AnnapolisIntegrativeMedicine@gmail.com

#4 of 5 Old 08-15-2012, 11:31 AM

p.s He's an MD.

#5 of 5 Old 08-15-2012, 07:24 PM

I don't know any docs, but please keep pushing. My mom was experiencing some issues with mild depression, she is in her 70s and was having anxiety and money issues and she saw a dr older than HER and he put her on some type of strong antipsychotic drug and she was having tremors in her hands (among other things, than goodness she had the tremors) and the doc refused to admit it was the drugs and sent her to a neuroligist because he believed she was developing parkinsons.

Thankfully the new dr recognized the drug as the issue and slowly weaned her off it over a few months time and then saw her a few times to make sure she was ok. I was so angry that my mother refused to believe her doctor would be wrong, but I feel lucky things turned out as they did. Please keep pushing. Many heart medications cause memory loss, this is fact easily googled and something my IL have had happened enough that they don't take them. I wish you luck and hope you get things worked out for him.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page