Outdoor Exercise in humidity - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-30-2011, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi All!

My family is moving to Maryland.  Coming from up north, this means shorter winter for me which is great.  However, I learned that summers are very, very humid.

My question is, do you exercise (like running 30 minutes or more) outdoors, or is it too humid/hot.  I would like to train for a triathlon and/or a half marathon.

Should I look for a house near those wonderful paths, or should I find I house that can accommodate a treadmill/exercise equipment?

Which would you choose?

#2 of 6 Old 04-30-2011, 06:18 PM

We have code yellow days where they will announce on tv that those with breathing problems should stay inside. I used to workout a lot, pre-baby days, and never had a huge problem, most people exercise outside either early morning or late evening. My BIL is from New york and a runner, and he has run around here during humid days, but he runs everyday.

Not all summers are humid. Last year was a fluke with how hot and humid it was. It's usually not too humid until late July and August and maybe first few weeks of September. Just try to keep the workout around the cooler times of day. Usually around 6-8pm it gets better, humidity wise

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#3 of 6 Old 04-30-2011, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, you are a fast responder!  Thanks for the reply.  That makes sense.  I am glad to hear that the humidity does not make it impossible to go for runs.

#4 of 6 Old 05-02-2011, 08:02 AM

Basically the same thing here. My husband trained for a marathon over the summer, and I have spent many summers working outside all day long in the heat and humidity. But, intense exercise is best done in the early morning (which I think is best) or in the evening. And you will sweat--a lot. But I would definitely go for a house near some nice trails if I were you!

#5 of 6 Old 05-06-2011, 12:26 PM

You can definietly exercise outside in summer here, but mornings are best.  I say live near the paths/trails!

ds 3/06 familybed1.gif
#6 of 6 Old 05-08-2011, 04:47 AM

Why not both?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page