Northern VA CNM birth options - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello ladies!

I'm new to the boards here.  We have a 2yo son and are thinking of ttc.  I totally lucked out in our previous location and had a small dr/mw practice and gave birth at a small family-centered hospital.  That was also just around the corner!  I didn't have to write up a birth plan, but my favorite mw was on-call when I went in, had a natural birth with labor in the tub, etc.  It was great!  Now, here we are in nova, and I'm wondering what kind of care I'll run into.  We're military and not thrilled about going to the clinic and then ft. belvoir(i think?) for delivery.  Looking into changing to tricare standard and finding a midwife.  

I'm very interested in Loudon Community Midwives.  It just seems really great for what I'm looking for- natural birth but with more medical options close at hand.  It will be a bit of a drive, though...  Does anyone know if they'd be ok with me bringing my son along to appointments?

Looked at info for Joey Pascarella of Sacred Midwifery.  I don't know if I'm completely comfortable with a homebirth- hadn't even considered it before.  

Any thoughts or input?  Thanks in advance!!

#2 of 13 Old 05-11-2011, 10:53 AM

The Loudoun Community Midwives have a little playroom in the waiting room, full of toys and books. When I was a client, I saw plenty of other moms bring their kids along smile.gif

There is also a birth center opening in Chantilly this summer: http://www.birthbydesign.org/BirthCenter.aspx

Good luck and congratulations!

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#3 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 12:28 PM

Don't know how close it is to you, but Birthcare in Alexandria is a CNM practice that offers homebirth and birth center births, and gets very good reviews.  there are several wonderful CPM's in the area, so there are even more options if you decide you're open to homebirth down the line.

#4 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 03:44 PM

I second the Birthcare recommendation - I used them for DS's birthcenter birth-turned homebirth and will use them again for the next one.  Not sure where you are but they travel pretty far.  www.birthcare.org for details.  They book up really fast for prenatal care, so either become a patient before preg by going for gyn care, or call as soon as you get your bfp to get in for prenatal care - if you decide to go with them.

Good luck!

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

#5 of 13 Old 05-17-2011, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! Looks like I have a lot to look into!

Bignerpie- looks like you're planning a home birth for your next baby. Is the Loudon midwife group one that you'd recommend?

Also, thanks for the birth care recommendation. We're out in the sticks a bit, so not sure if I'm up for a trafficky drive in. Will still look ini to it!
#6 of 13 Old 05-17-2011, 08:25 AM

The Loudoun Midwives only do hospital births at Loudoun Hospital. I used them for the birth of my son, and if you decide to have a hospital birth, I would definitely recommend them.

Birth Care does home births as well as birth center, as does Birth by Design. I'm in WV, though, so I'm using a different midwife.

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#7 of 13 Old 05-20-2011, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks!
#8 of 13 Old 10-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)

I have removed a post from this thread due to the defamatory remarks that were made. Please leave practitioner reviews in our reviews section. We do not host them in the forums (Link in nav bar above). Thanks!

#9 of 13 Old 10-17-2011, 12:35 PM

Sorry, I didn't realize.

#10 of 13 Old 10-17-2011, 01:45 PM

It's only defamatory if it's untrue... 

#11 of 13 Old 10-18-2011, 05:58 PM

FYI: You may check out the status of Joey Pascarella's CNM license at www.mbon.org

#12 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 10:21 AM

The status changed today. 

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#13 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 09:30 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page