Childbirth Education Recommendations in or near DC? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-11-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for a childbirth class in or near DC. This will be our first child, and we're planning a home birth. Have you taken a class that you like?

Thank you!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#2 of 12 Old 05-16-2011, 06:05 AM

I was very happy with Susan Messina in NW DC, who teaches through BirthWorks.  Susan was an excellent instructor and I like the Birth Works style of instruction- great preparation for a natural birth, but it is flexible so if you end up wanting/needing various interventions, you won't have to feel like you "failed" or anything.  You can find her through the BirthWorks.org website or just Google her.  Best of luck!  I hope you have a wonderful birth!

#3 of 12 Old 05-16-2011, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Springfieldmom! That looks like a great option. In case anyone else is interested, Susan's website is http://www.susanmessina.com/.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#4 of 12 Old 05-16-2011, 04:53 PM

Wow, I love her bio and site. Thanks for posting.

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#5 of 12 Old 05-17-2011, 10:00 AM

Wait a minute, Escher, you guys live in DC?!? We should have a local Queer Parenting meetup!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#6 of 12 Old 05-17-2011, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Angela--we should get together! I wonder if there are any other mothering queer parents in the DC area.

#7 of 12 Old 05-17-2011, 10:41 AM

Yes! We'd love to. I'm going to post something on QP now. Yay for gaybies!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#8 of 12 Old 05-17-2011, 05:03 PM

We're planning a home birth for our first child as well and we just finished a Brio Birth class in Columbia, MD... idk if that is too far away for you??  I'm pretty sure they have instructors in DC as well.   PM me for my instructor's contact info. :)  I highly recommend the Brio class!  10 classes 2-3 hours long, and very thorough.  Textbook is modern and sensitive to modern issues, though the videos were still a bit outdated.

nak.gif married to DH  guitar.gif since 03/05/2005, new mama to E thumbsuck.gif, homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg 07/02/2011

nocirc.gifselectivevax.giffamilybed1.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gif

#9 of 12 Old 05-20-2011, 04:44 PM

Susan is extremely supportive of same-sex couples in her classes-- in fact we had some in my class.

If you need a birth assistant who is also very supportive of two mom couples, I highly recommend Claudia Booker of Birthing Hands, DC.  She assisted me with both of my children and was wonderful.

All my best!

#10 of 12 Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 PM

I see I'm late to this thread, but still thought I'd throw this resource out: Sharon Stevenson is an *amazing* resource for the DC Metro area.  She is a Hypnobirthing instructor, as well as an instructor  in baby sign language, pre/post/mommy-baby yoga, infant massage and an active doula.  Her studio is in Alexandria, VA.  Truly, she is a gem.  I would have been lost without her at my daughter's home birth.  Good luck!

http://www.yogabirthandbeyond.com/id7.html

#11 of 12 Old 06-27-2011, 12:17 PM

highly recommend Ursula Sabia Sukinik "Birth you desire"

She's very knowledgeable, open minded, and empowers people to make their own informed decision.  She knows a TON about all of the DC area providers and birth places too.

#12 of 12 Old 07-25-2011, 09:16 AM
bax

Ok, maybe I'm too late to this thread, but DH and I really liked Susan Gunn with Bradley--took her class prior to DD1. She is a home birther herself, and we were really well prepared. In fact, DH ended up catching our DD2 when the MW didn't arrive in time and he was great!

SAHM to Ada 8/15/2006, Calla 11/22/2008, and Wright 6/16/2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page