Need a new pediatrician in or around Towson; recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-15-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We had my son's 6th month well check yesterday and our dissatisfaction with our current pediatrican has me searching the area for a new doctor. Our current ped is very dismissive and not particularly helpful in any way. We have had some issues with our baby from the beginning in regards to reflux, extreme amounts of vomiting, and other basic issues. Up to now, we have had to be the ones to diagnos, call and ask for treatment and research any problems because every time we bring up these issues the doctor tells us not to worry because he is growing and therefore, fine. She has never even asked what he is eating! Any comments or concerns that we have are literally brushed aside or ignored. Yesterday, I asked what I could do to help him keep his food down so that he doesnt wake up 3 times a night to eat when, at 6 months, should be getting better by now. She didnt even comment on the vomitting (he threw up 8 times just while we were at the office) but said that his eating at night was just a 'bad habit' that I needed to break him of. I would think that his only eating 4 oz. at a time and throwing up half of it might have more to do with the issue than my baby looking for a fix multiple times a night. Our baby had been sleeping in his rock n' play sleeper which is at in incline next to the bed or in our bed on bad nights. Recently, we have tried to have him sleep in his crib with not the best results. He will wake up every hour looking for comfort or food. After a few days of this we clearly gave up due to sleep deprivation and he has been in our bed. The worst was when she told us that we should stand with our backs to his crib while he is screaming until he finally gives up...which sounds like a baby nightmare to me.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, sensible pediatrician in the Baltimore metro area? We live in White Marsh but are willing to drive if we have to.

#2 of 7 Old 07-16-2011, 06:32 PM

We have a great ped up in Bel Air - which is probably only 20-25 mins from White Marsh.  We travel from Glen Arm, and soon from Parkville, to Bel Air to see her.  It's Dr. Lazor at Laurel Pediatrics.  She takes a lot of time to listen and answer questions, is fine with an alternative vaccine schedule, and is very encouraging of extended breastfeeded (over 2 yrs).  She has NEVER questioned co-sleeping or even suggested CIO.  We've been very fortunate to not have any major medical problems, but I have no doubt she would help us figure out the best solution if we did.  I actually had to call the on-call number on Christmas day to ask a question about a rash and she personally called me back - not a nurse or generic on-call service.  Good luck!

#3 of 7 Old 07-20-2011, 07:56 PM

Wow, I might check her out!  We see Jackie Gilliard at Crofton Pediatrics.  I like him, but he's a little passive and I don't feel like we share the same parenting philosophies.  I had so many issues with my first dd (extremely high-needs, social anxiety) that I'd really like a more pro-active doctor who shares the same strong feelings I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneboymum View Post

We have a great ped up in Bel Air - which is probably only 20-25 mins from White Marsh.  We travel from Glen Arm, and soon from Parkville, to Bel Air to see her.  It's Dr. Lazor at Laurel Pediatrics.  She takes a lot of time to listen and answer questions, is fine with an alternative vaccine schedule, and is very encouraging of extended breastfeeded (over 2 yrs).  She has NEVER questioned co-sleeping or even suggested CIO.  We've been very fortunate to not have any major medical problems, but I have no doubt she would help us figure out the best solution if we did.  I actually had to call the on-call number on Christmas day to ask a question about a rash and she personally called me back - not a nurse or generic on-call service.  Good luck!

#4 of 7 Old 07-22-2011, 05:56 AM

We see DR Curran at 9512 Harford Rd, Parkville, MD 21234, (410) 882-0600. There are 2 peds there. Dr Yamcheck also. Dr Curran is a great DR, she has a 6-7 month old son herself and is very easy to talk to. The staff there is great also. She is a more natural and cloth diapering mom also. We have 5 girls and do not vaccinate, I have never had any issues there. They did tell me that they are recommended but it was our choice. Now they just ask, what I want to do at each appt. Best wishes. 

#5 of 7 Old 08-08-2011, 06:56 PM

We see Dr. Morgan-Cooper in the city. She's not hugely crunchy, but she's a good doctor and I feel comfortable with her. She's very conscientious and spends a lot of time with us. My child has asthma, and she answers all my questions. She takes everything I say seriously and listens very well. We switched from an unsatisfactory doctor who sounded like yours -- all "give it time" and ignoring serious symptoms, so Dr. Morgan-Cooper felt like a breath of fresh air to us.

#6 of 7 Old 08-18-2011, 10:49 AM

We see her as well.  She's just north of Charles Village.  She will definitely listen to you and spend a lot of time with you.  I agree she's not super crunchy, but seems fairly supportive of families who are.  We delay vax and she's never given us any problems.  I also had BFing difficulties the 1st week or so with my DD losing a lot of weight and she was better than the hospital LC- she had me BF during my appointment, helped me fix latch problems, and helped me figure out how to supplement in a way that would not compromise BFing (gave my DD some of my breastmilk through a dropper), and encouraged me to stop supplementing and just BF as soon as my DD started to gain.  It also seems like she is an avid reader of new ped-related research which I appreciate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeveless View Post

We see Dr. Morgan-Cooper in the city. She's not hugely crunchy, but she's a good doctor and I feel comfortable with her. She's very conscientious and spends a lot of time with us. My child has asthma, and she answers all my questions. She takes everything I say seriously and listens very well. We switched from an unsatisfactory doctor who sounded like yours -- all "give it time" and ignoring serious symptoms, so Dr. Morgan-Cooper felt like a breath of fresh air to us.

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#7 of 7 Old 09-23-2011, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

A third rec for Morgan-Cooper.  DC#1 is 10 and we've moved quite a lot and Dr. Morgan-Cooper is the most crunchy supportive doctor we've seen.    I don't know if she is personally crunchy but she was supportive of DC#2's homebirth, asked questions that were worded in a very pro-breastfeeding way, made a lot of accurate assumptions about our parenting choices (it was nice to have a Dr. assume we may delay vax, cosleep and etc), and generally made me feel like our choices were totally "normal".  Also, as far as delayed vax goes she has been super supportive.  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page