OBGYN in Frederick or Montgomery Co MD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-26-2011, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I am looking for a VBAC friendly OB-GYN in either Frederick or Montgomery Co. 

I am considered high risk.

I have a bicornuate uterus so I see a high risk doctor often. 

This is my third pregnancy with our second child. (22 weeks along)

Thank you,

m.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 08:11 AM

I know Simmonds and Simmonds, and Midwifery Care Associates will do vbacs, but they don't encourage vbacs in high risk patients.  I was considered high risk because I was 40, although I had no health issues whatsoever. You should try to contact ICAN of Montgomery County because I think they would have the latest up to date information. Frederick County has no doctors supportive of VBACs even in low risk patients that I know of, unless things changed in the past year.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
Old 07-27-2011, 10:22 AM

Simmonds, Helmbrecht and Martin and MCA have an office in Frederick, off of Thomas Johnson.  So, Frederick does have doctors that support VBACS.  You do, however have to go to Shady Grove Hospital for the birth.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both. And thank you for the PM & link. I appreciate it more than I can say! 

Old 07-27-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurley423 View Post

Simmonds, Helmbrecht and Martin and MCA have an office in Frederick, off of Thomas Johnson.  So, Frederick does have doctors that support VBACS.  You do, however have to go to Shady Grove Hospital for the birth.

That is what I meant - Frederick County hospital, although they have no outright ban, do not do vbac that I know of. They do however don't allow midwives and I believe only allow doulas from their list or you need approval to use an outside doula. Shady Grove has certain rules for doulas also, that were being implemented when I was pregnant. The midwives are only in the office in Frederick on Fridays, you have to see them in Bethesda during the rest of the week. The other office is in White Flint Mall. I am not sure about the OBs, I never met with them.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:21 AM

I just remembered....I met with a high risk doctor for my sonograms and genetic testing, across the parking lot from Simmonds and Simmonds, Md Perinatal Associates. I met with Dr Hodor, very nice dr and he seemed very supportive of my decision to vbac. They have 4 offices, one in Frederick, 3 I think in Montgomery County. I have no clue where he delivers, I think FMH. My friend used him because she has a condition that causes her to have extreme high blood pressure very early during her pregnancies and she thought he was great. I know the midwives will refer you to that office for any sonograms or additional testing.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

I know Dr. Hoder! :) I didn't think he did deliveries. I will talk to him about it the next time I see him. I thought he was like a middle man type. SO glad you mentioned him. Thank you.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:32 PM

Love Dr. Hoder! But yeah, I don't think he delivers.

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

Old 08-04-2011, 08:40 AM

There are others in the office, my friend saw him for all her appointments so I assumed she delivered with him, since she delivered very early with both children. Maybe there is another there or he knows of someone.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback. We went in yesterday to meet with a doctor and he was very supportive (and realistic) of my interest in VBAC. He is the first one I have met in over a year. I was ready to change doctors but when he was so down with it, I reconsidered. We followed that appointment with one at MD Perinatal. I asked the dr. if anyone there would do a delivery and she said no, they were only there to monitor high risk patients and my OB-GYN group would do the delivering. I didn't ask if things have changed but it is certainly a possibility, especially if they work out of both Shady Grove and Frederick Hospitals. It might be a county thing. Due to my circumstances I will be working with Dr. Hoder's group right up to delivery but that will be hand in hand with my OB-GYN group. As it stands now anyway. :) 

User Tag List