Leaving DE hospital right after giving birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-10-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anybody ever left the hospital right after giving birth in DE? Say within 4-6 hours? I have had 2 babies in DE and had to wait 24 hours each time. Does anyone know what leaving early would require? I'm guessing I would have to sign out AMA, but how would that work with a baby? Our ped is not at the hospital I will be delivering at either. Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 01:46 PM

You can sign the baby out AMA too. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbean09 View Post

Has anybody ever left the hospital right after giving birth in DE? Say within 4-6 hours? I have had 2 babies in DE and had to wait 24 hours each time. Does anyone know what leaving early would require? I'm guessing I would have to sign out AMA, but how would that work with a baby? Our ped is not at the hospital I will be delivering at either. Thanks for any help!

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
Old 09-11-2011, 03:38 PM

I don't know about DE, but talk to your doctor about it. With my first pregnancy, even though I was a c-section, the doctor let me leave really early. I was only there I think 24 hours after birth as opposed to 4 days. Anyway she said I could go whenever I wanted and signed the papers. The nurses gave me heck about it, saying I was leaving to early and the baby could die, etc, but since the dr. signed the orders, they really couldn't do anything except grumble about it to me. If you think your doctor would be cool with it, ask him to sign you out ASAP after delivery. I used the hosp. pedi, the one I wanted to use didn't show up like she said she would. Bring it up before birth and then again if everything goes smoothly after wards.

And for baby #2, quite a few mom's left AMA while I was in that hospital, so yes you can check the baby out too.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
Old 09-13-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I can't find any specific laws on it so hopefully it won't be an issue!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:40 AM

There isn't a law about it.  You have the right to refuse healthcare if you want to, so even if you're doctor doesn't agree you sign a piece of paper that says you're doing something against medical advice and go.  I did it in PA when I was pregnant with no problems other than doctors and nurses who thought I should stay.  Good luck!

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
Old 09-13-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amymaew View Post

There isn't a law about it.  You have the right to refuse healthcare if you want to, so even if you're doctor doesn't agree you sign a piece of paper that says you're doing something against medical advice and go.  I did it in PA when I was pregnant with no problems other than doctors and nurses who thought I should stay.  Good luck!

I know to get me out it won't be a problem, I'm just worried about the baby part, I've heard horror stories of CPS getting involved and such. I'm really thinking this is the way I'll go!

User Tag List