Birth Certificate for UP/UC in Frederick County - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-20-2011, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wondering if anyone has done this very recently because I am hearing different things about what I need to have an what to expect, and yes, I've asked this before.

I take weekly pregnancy photos, I imagine a semi-graphic/right after birth photo would be good too?  Should I plan to go to planned parentood (or whatever) to get "proof of pregnancy?"

Should I anticipate being harassed?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-23-2011, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

I would anticipate being harassed.  From my experience (HB with CPM) I do not imagine that pictures will be accepted.  Maybe they would  but it's hard for me to see that given my interaction with the vital stats nurse in Baltimore.  I would call them NOW and have them give you a list of everything you will need.  I would just tell them you do not want to share information about care providers.  In Baltimore they will (I think) come verify pregnancy in person.  

For me they accepted a prenatal blood screen that I opted for in the 2nd trimester.  I do think a PPH test would be acceptable too but I'd check to be sure.  In Baltimore you need all this info for the testing place so make sure you get that.  

I thought is was all a huge PIA.  

Good luck!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 4 Old 10-29-2011, 02:05 PM

I just filed for a birth certificate for my newborn son at the Frederick Health Department this week. I had a home birth with CNM, as well as OB care for the first part of my pregnancy, so I can't say for sure how much difficulty you'll have with an UP/UC. I'll tell you what I do know, though.

In my interactions with WIC, Medical Assistance, and the birth certificate people, I've found that when I say I'm having a home birth I get almost exactly the same response from everyone. It's usually something like "Oh, that's great. Just in case your midwife can't sign the paperwork for the birth, here's the phone number/form/contact person you need." They are conscious of the fact that there are "illegal" midwives who won't sign the birth certificate papers (rendering it basically the same as a UC in their eyes). They will tell you that you need to have a nurse come to your home and interview you, see the baby, possibly do a newborn exam. This is NOT necessary with a CNM, it's not a blanket rule, but if you UCed you probably won't be able to get around it.

I'm not sure if that covers what you'll need to do for UP as well. As the other poster said, I would call the health department. They've been helpful and not hostile. The birth certificate forms, for each required piece of "evidence", list what documentation you need, but also give the option of "other proof acceptable to the health officer". I would inquire as to what that means.

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

#4 of 4 Old 10-31-2011, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU!!  You have been the most helpful so far and I have been asking this question forever, LOL!

I will see if I can manage to call the health dept when they are open.  You don't happen to recall what evidence it asked for, do you?  I guess you would be in the clear since you had exams by an OB.  I just have no idea what I'm supposed to do if I don't see a doctor at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinket90 View Post

I just filed for a birth certificate for my newborn son at the Frederick Health Department this week. I had a home birth with CNM, as well as OB care for the first part of my pregnancy, so I can't say for sure how much difficulty you'll have with an UP/UC. I'll tell you what I do know, though.

In my interactions with WIC, Medical Assistance, and the birth certificate people, I've found that when I say I'm having a home birth I get almost exactly the same response from everyone. It's usually something like "Oh, that's great. Just in case your midwife can't sign the paperwork for the birth, here's the phone number/form/contact person you need." They are conscious of the fact that there are "illegal" midwives who won't sign the birth certificate papers (rendering it basically the same as a UC in their eyes). They will tell you that you need to have a nurse come to your home and interview you, see the baby, possibly do a newborn exam. This is NOT necessary with a CNM, it's not a blanket rule, but if you UCed you probably won't be able to get around it.

I'm not sure if that covers what you'll need to do for UP as well. As the other poster said, I would call the health department. They've been helpful and not hostile. The birth certificate forms, for each required piece of "evidence", list what documentation you need, but also give the option of "other proof acceptable to the health officer". I would inquire as to what that means.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page