Whats the Story with Alternative Birth Choices and Evelyn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 of 70 Old 10-19-2011, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A friend of mine was supposed to deliver with them and then Evelyn just told her that she is being sued and may not be able to deliver her baby.  My friend said that Evelyn was welcoming letters of support for her Oct. 25 court date.  The story given to my friend was that a woman had transferred post-birth with bleeding, baby and mom were fine, but the hospital or some government party was suing her.

What on earth is going on over there?!  Does anyone know?

Feel free to PM me!

#2 of 70 Old 10-19-2011, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)

Oh, my.  Midwifery going through the ringer in MD.  I feel badly for everyone in our community!  What's going on!?!

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 70 Old 10-19-2011, 10:20 AM

All I know is my appointment for last week was canceled because of an emergency, and they would call me to reschedule.  I'm quite honestly freaking out....

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#4 of 70 Old 10-19-2011, 10:27 AM

I am right there with you Katy!!  OP, Please PM me if you find anything out.  I had heard the first half of your story but hadn't heard of anything unethical going on.  I would like to know if there is though because before this all happened I was going to start prenatal care with Evelyn and was very much looking forward to a homebirth covered by my insurance.

#5 of 70 Old 10-19-2011, 11:17 AM

Oh my gosh I am so glad I found this thread! I lurk a lot here on MDC so when my appointment with Evelyn was cancelled with no explanation I started looking to see if anyone knew what was going on.

When I Googled her name this came up...

http://209.60.234.65/mdbon_weblookup/publicinfo.asp?rb_name=ON&rb_facility=&l_person_id=156704&l_profession_id=1&l_license_id=217290&ssn=&l_home_state=20&Last_Name=MUH%25&First_Name=&License_number=&Facility_Name=&DBA_Name=

What could that mean for all of us? I am so devastated that my homebirth dreams might not come true. Please PM me if you have any information.

#6 of 70 Old 10-19-2011, 11:30 AM

I have not been posting much lately however I am getting an influx of calls today from clients lookig for a midwife who state both Joey and Evelyn dropped them, or do not have licenses....Both term patients....hadnt heard anything about Joey, any ideas would be helpful.

#7 of 70 Old 10-19-2011, 01:39 PM

Jennifer I'll PM you what I know.  

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#8 of 70 Old 10-19-2011, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

I think that the unethical thing must have been practicing with a suspended license.  I havent heard anything more from my friend.  But Im very concerned for the state of midwifery in Maryland.  WE NEED THEM!  I dont think I would ever deliver in a hospital again after having one in the hospital and one at home.  

#9 of 70 Old 10-19-2011, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

will you pm me too!

#10 of 70 Old 10-19-2011, 01:48 PM

All I know is what I've read here, so if you saw the long Joey Pascarella thread that was pulled, you know what I know.  winky.gif  I'm assuming Evelyn's license was suspended because of the investigation.  I just wish I knew where she stood and what the reality is so I know what decisions I need to make regarding my own care.  

#11 of 70 Old 10-19-2011, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

I didnt see it.  I havent been on here in months :(

#12 of 70 Old 10-19-2011, 02:08 PM

PMed you. 

#13 of 70 Old 10-19-2011, 03:10 PM

I'd also like to know the backstory about the Evelyn situation.   I was just talking about Evelyn with a friend who is considering her options and I didn't realize that there were legal issues.  If someone gets info they can copy and paste into a PM that would be great.  

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#14 of 70 Old 10-19-2011, 03:36 PM

If I could get a PM I would appreciate it. I didn't know there was an issue with Evelyn and Joey. nono02.gif

I have been stressed all day about what is going on and what I should do. Thanks.

#15 of 70 Old 10-19-2011, 03:50 PM

I'd love more info on Evelyn.  Anyone with info please PM me.  

#16 of 70 Old 10-19-2011, 05:17 PM

Oh NO!  I am so sad.  I hope somehow this is all a misunderstanding.

#17 of 70 Old 10-19-2011, 09:01 PM

Could I get in the loop on this? I was going to refer someone to Evelyn...

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#18 of 70 Old 10-20-2011, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

this is all starting to feel like a big attack on homebirth midwives to me.  

you know what bugs me is that MDs cause the unnecessary deaths and injuries of so many babies with their premature inductions and interventions and its considered collateral damage.  They "did everything they could"... yeah and the "everything" is what caused all the problems in the first place.  And dont get me started on the harm they do to women!  

And then you have midwives... if they make even one mis-step, everyone turns on them.  One baby lost = end of their career.  People think there is some text book that says "if this happens then do this..."  there may be a text book but it isnt always right.  The midwife has to make decision based on the best of her knowledge and abilities.  Shes human.  And you can ALWAYS find a doctor whose opinion will contradict a midwives.

I don't know what happened with Evelyn but Im extremely suspicious of this whole thing, especially given that pretty much ALL our midwives are suddenly under attack.  They may not run the tightest ship over there. But I suspect the incredibly strong anti-homebirth sentiment in this state may have something to do with it.

Mortality stats (for moms and babies) should be public and the practitioners NAME was next to it.  I bet Evelyn's is lower than any MD.

I just cant picture this being a real case of Evelyn being negligent or something.  She was very careful and concerned at my last birth.  A lot went wrong at my birth and she handled each problem calmly and accurately.

Its hard, even for moms who have had homebirths, to really trust the process.  We have been raised being told doctors know best.  I found myself second guessing the whole way.  And if something went wrong, I would have probably gone to an MD for a second opinion and then tried to blame my midwife for the problem.  People grieving often need someone to blame.  I don't know if something like this happened, but certainly things like this happen all over the homebirth unfriendly country.

This whole reminds me of... did anyone read Baby Catcher?

#19 of 70 Old 10-20-2011, 06:07 AM

I am a midwife and I dont see this as an attack on Homebirth. I have referred my own clients to home birth midwives. When you practice out of hospital you do have to be more careful. I feel there is a duty to the mom the baby and the rest of us midwives to protect our calling. Home birth is safe for low risk women and whatever is going on in the lives of the the midwives involved shouldnt be public knowlege, however there is a duty to her current patients to have a plan in place for their care and they should be notified. If my doors were locked tomorrow there is a plan in place to notify clients, get there records to them, and refer them to a practioner. Noone should feel that they are swinging in the breeze. The board of Nursing meets October 25th so there should be a public record following the meeting. I initially came to this thread because of the influx of calls from patients in need if a provider, and it bothers me that women at term are struggling. It isnt fair to the pregnant moms to be dealing with this when they should be preparing for birth, and they should be entering into birth with a provider they trust and have developed a relationship with. I hope this is resolved soon, and the mommas out there get the birth they are looking for safely.

#20 of 70 Old 10-20-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

No, you're right.  I just worry we will lose homebirth completely in MD just because of technicalities, renewing licenses, etc.  I feel like I was willing to put up with the more, uh, laid back "organizational style" of the homebirth MW because I really didn't want to risk having my baby in a hospital.

Plus its hard to say have a back up CNM to cover all your clients, when there are like 3 in MD... We need more.  If more were around, then maybe they wouldnt a) be so overwhelmed with so many clients, and b) have better back up options in place.

Its so hard.  Like, do we put up with people who forget to renew their license or make you wait for ungodly long time for appointments... or do we go to the hospital to have our baby?  Or use a CPM, even though its not legal in MD? 

But I did hear Evelyn has a back up MW.

I also 100% agree that all these things need to be publicly discussed.  Thats why I posted it here.  I dont like this weird code of silence.  Its dangerous.  Because moms and babies deserve to have all the information when choosing a care provider.  I think we need way more transparency in MD for midwives and MD's alike.  

#21 of 70 Old 10-20-2011, 07:40 AM

Honestly, I think that it is other midwives who are doing this to the profession. Here is why. You have great midwives, responsible ones.   You don't change the hearts and minds of lawmakers, of other medical professionals or lay people by telling clients that it's ok to do things that aren't legal "for the cause" or by skirting the laws or by outright breaking them... no, that makes more people look untrustworthy and it puts  a target on the backs of the good midwives. It is probably more important now, than ever, to follow the rules, even if they're not something you agree with, because you can build relationships and open doors for more freedom for women. More midwives won't want to be homebirth midwives because they don't want to be a target when someone else does something wrong. It's a catch 22. We can't get more midwives because some of the bad ones but because of the bad ones we need more midwives. How do we fix this? I have no idea, but I feel like we are going to have a hostile environment for CNMs for a while here. It's unfortunate that a community must "pay" for the bad things or even the accidents that have happened. That's something to think about when you're a midwife. Think about how important your role is and how important what you are doing is. Don't take it for granted. Really, the anti-homebirth people in Maryland don't need more ammunition. 

My former midwife? She dropped me. She abandoned me as a patient. She chose to do things that weren't legal. She didn't care about me or my baby and she was supposed to be "legal" in my state. She made it almost so that I would have to UC or just go to the ER when I go into labor. It was honestly very close to that. I think that she figured I was so far along I'd just be nice and not make a fuss. She took my money, and she waited until I paid her assistant and THEN she dropped me. I wasn't able to find anything bad about her when I did my searching but I've heard bad things since. People need to file complaints when it is necessary, to protect other women, not to harm them. If that means that she loses her license and her clients can't use her, well I'm ok with that. One has already harassed me about it though. 

This whole experience has made myself and my husband not want any more children, we have both said that this week, - is that something we should be thinking about just before the birth of our baby? It's not because midwifery is under attack, but because there were laws put into place to protect us but we were hurt anyway. There are ethical codes that people should have been decent enough to stick to. There is the golden rule, if nothing else, to think about there. Last I heard from her, she said "talk to my lawyer" and hung up. She doesn't have a lawyer, she just wanted me to go away but I am not as stupid as I apparently look. 

I'll also say that the "well nothing bad happened to me" and/or "I was ok!" is an invalid argument. We hear it from people who smoke during pregnancy "I did it and my baby is FINE!" or from people who don't use carseats  "when I was a kid, I bounced around the back seat, kids these days don't need car seats!!" - but if you were hurt  or klled you wouldn't be saying that. The dead can't speak for themselves. Maybe you'd be a small person trying to stand up and say "something bad happened to me!" while people shout over you and tell you that you're bad and wrong for saying anything and that you're hurting the cause. I am sure there are more problems than I have heard of with my midwife, but people don't or can't speak up. 

FTR, a licensed massage therapist can't give a massage if his or her license is not valid. Why should a midwife be able to attend a birth if his or her license is not valid? A baby is much more important than a tight muscle. 

I have no idea what is going on with Evelyn, I don't know if she did something wrong or not. But I read here that her patients don't know if they'll have a back up or appointments and that is scary.

Kanna and coocoocachoo like this.
#22 of 70 Old 10-20-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

you make excellent points.  youre totally right.  its such a sad situation we maryland homebirthers find ourselves in :( 

#23 of 70 Old 10-20-2011, 07:55 PM

I am not going to go into a lot of detail, but this is why rumor can be a poor source.  She is not going to court or being sued.  She has an administative hearing with the Board of Nursing on the 25th.  Anyone who is a client can call me on my cell phone or call Evelyn at any time to talk, if you have not yet received a call.  All our numbers are on the business card you received when you came into care.  We had hoped people would respect that it takes time to talk to all your clients in such a busy practice and not start posting what they heard on listservs, but obviously that was a vain hope.  I will be happy to help people understand what is happening, but I am not going to do so in this type of forum.  I hope you can all understand we want the information to come from US so it is correct.  Thanks.

Lorrie Leigh

reborn likes this.
#24 of 70 Old 10-20-2011, 08:07 PM

This speculation is neither fair nor accurate.  If you don't think that home birth is under assault than you haven't been paying attention.   She is not the only one who has experienced scrutiny and investigation this year.  Desire for home birth is growing in this area and every provider is stretched to the max, but interestingly we aren't growing our supply of licensed home birth providers.  Why?  Because this state makes it so incredibly difficult to provide this option that it isn't that appealing to young CNMs I guess.  (I am in school and on that path but am years away from being able to take over for our senior sister midwives) And CPMs have been thus far unsuccessful in gaining any traction with licensure as 27 other states have.   ABC is notifying people as fast as we can and providing referrals to those who need them.  What people do beyond that or how they report it to you when they call you is not anything we can control.  I would think that if you want to be supportive of a sister midwife, you would not want to contribute to the speculation and innuendo.  I am really so disappointed to see this.  If you have a question or concern about the calls you are receiving, you can pick up the phone and call her any time.  Other CNMs in the area have.

reborn likes this.
#25 of 70 Old 10-20-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenimBebek View Post

People grieving often need someone to blame.  I don't know if something like this happened, but certainly things like this happen all over the homebirth unfriendly country.

This whole reminds me of... did anyone read Baby Catcher?

I will just say that our mamas are the best and are VERY supportive of ABC!  All of them.

#26 of 70 Old 10-20-2011, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

SO glad you posted Lorrie!  I know many of us who aren't current clients were really worried and wondering what was going on.  Which is why we all came here!  Glad to know that shes not being sued.  Please tell us how we can help!  There are so many past clients and potential future client who PM'd me wondering how to help!!

#27 of 70 Old 10-21-2011, 04:17 AM

THANKYOU for posting Lorrie Leigh! Please let us know if and when they is anyway we can help and support Evelyn. She attended both of my home births and I'm a current client due early next year. I support her and her staff - they are a massive asset to our birthing community, and my husband and I are prayerfully waiting to hear any more updates.

Again please let us know if and when there is any way we can help! I'm sure there are many parents who feel the same way we do.

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

#28 of 70 Old 10-21-2011, 09:36 AM

I don't know what the problem really is over there (seems to be a LOT of them) but I'm most definitely leaving her practice and filing a lengthy complaint. I've been hung up on by her office staff, outright lied to multiple times, had messages for Evelyn "lost" and now can't seem to get a human being to pick up the phone or return my calls. I don't care what's going on, that is completely unacceptable in any medical office no matter the circumstances. And no, it is not acceptable to expect me to call every cell phone either after I've already spoken to more than one staff person, had them promise me a call back by a certain date and gotten no such calls, no explanations, no nothing. It is especially unacceptable as patients to have to find out why we're not getting these promised phone calls off of an internet forum! I do truly feel for Evelyn's patients who are at or near term and am so glad that I'm early enough in my pregnancy to transfer care easily. I've been hoping my experience has been isolated, and am extremely disappointed and saddened that it's not.

When I initiated care with her practice, I didn't want to lend much credence to some of the "rumors" that we've all heard and now I'm kind of kicking myself. If this is really just a minor little hiccup and no big deal, it quite frankly terrifies me of the possibility of another little hiccup (or worse, a big hiccup) happening around my due date, given the way that her practice has responded this time. I completely understand that later term pregnancies are going to take rescheduling priority over mine, but after 2 weeks I would have at least expected some kind of explanation.

It's truly a shame.

oatsebear411 likes this.
#29 of 70 Old 10-21-2011, 09:53 AM

Does ANYBODY read the "Healthcare Provider Review Policy" ?

We all have a right to our oppinions but this site has specilly stated it is NOT the place to post negative reviews personal in nature.

It's to protect ALL parties.  Mothering.com,  it's posters, and healthcare providers who can't monitor forums to defend themselves or their practices.  PLEASE be civil and don't ruin MDC for the rest of us.

"Positive healthcare provider reviews are welcome. Please use careful language when responding to or soliciting a review. We do not wish to host negative remarks or comments about practitioners, practices, hospitals or healthcare centers that might cast them in a negative light and which would present liability concerns for you and for Mothering. Negative comments that are verifiable facts of public record or court ruling are acceptable. Please avoid speculation and/or gossip. Please contact the provider or care center directly with any concerns or questions.

Statements such as: Hospital A has a 30% cesarean rate or Dr. B is not licensed to perform surgery both contain publicly accessible and verifiable information. A statement such as: I would never go to Dr. C because she is unkind and hostile to VBACs is personal opinion and possibly defamatory.

As an alternative to posting a negative review, members are welcome to use the Private Message (PM) system to convey information that might not be appropriate for the public boards. Posts or threads that cast healthcare providers, practices or centers in a negative light are not appropriate and will be removed.

Please be cautious in posting information of a personal nature or anything that might create legal concerns for you or others. If at any time you have questions or concerns about the appropriateness of a post, please PM a Moderator or an Administrator. Thank you."

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

#30 of 70 Old 10-21-2011, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthy_Baby View Post

Does ANYBODY read the "Healthcare Provider Review Policy" ?

I actually did just yesterday...it seems like MDC may have two different policies posted in different places because the link provided my CM reads as if negative reviews are ok: 

"Guidelines for Practitioners and Services Reviews 

This review section has been set up as a way for you to carefully and knowledgeably research others’ interactions with practitioners and services in order to help you make informed decisions. 

Please peruse the reviews to see if the practitioner, service, or resource you desire to review has been reviewed before. If so please post to that to add your review. If a previous review does not exist you may begin a new review. Please use the full name and title of the practitioner or the complete name of the center or service as the title of the review to make searching simpler for members. 

We allow for both positive and negative reviews. Negative reviews must not be written ‘off the cuff’ with spiteful intent, but with the intention of alerting other members to negative experiences. All responses need be constructive and tactful in nature on all accounts. Please avoid making statements that could be defamatory. That said, reviews are not a place to work through negative feelings toward a practitioner or service provider."  

http://www.mothering.com/community/products/guidelines-for-writing-reviews

Where did you read the policy you quoted?  

Still, it seems they would like reviews posted in that above forum.  I think negatives (even ones that are deemed acceptable) will only be allowed in the reviews, and will be removed in the general forum (possibly with a tread pull).  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page