Is anyone happy with their child's GT program at school? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-31-2011, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I am trying to find a good fit for my son who is currently in the public K in AA Co.  They do classroom differentiation K-2 which is nice, but not at all meeting his needs.  We are working with the school to see if we can find some better situation for him there, where he doesn't spend his whole day bored to tears (except at recess where he gets to play kickball.)  He is a very fast learner all around but he does especially well in math.  As far as I can tell he is working around the 2nd grade level, mostly limited by his reading ability.  Their eyes kind of glaze over when I talk about this and I am not holding my breath that they will find a way to keep him engaged in his favorite subject.

We as a family are not ready to commit to homeschooling right now but would love to find a schooling situation that works well for him.  Does anyone here have an experience with a school -- public or private -- that they were especially happy with the gifted programs they have?  Any schools that have systems in place where a student can move ahead in a subject they are passionate about and it's not so unique that they are seen a weird?

I'm not interested in rushing him through anything or getting him into college at 14.  I just want his school time to be worth his while.

Thanks,

Ayris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 10:40 AM

I haven't heard of a public school in AACo that will do more than what you describe.  I wish I had better news.  In later grades you can lobby and cajole the school into putting him in more challenging classes, but in elementary, they are just trying to get all the kids up to speed.  There are children in your son's class who can't write their name or follow directions.  The schools are less concerned about an advanced child (unless he is so bored he is acting up-- then they pay attention!)

I'm sorry!  I probably sound so unhelpful!  I keep hearing the same concerns from other parents in the area and I don't know anyone who has been satisfied by the school.

Homeschooling is a wonderful option, if that is a possibility, but it is not for every family, every year.  I really caution against moving your child up a grade!  Middle school is really rough for a kid even one year younger.  Private may be a good option (they have an investment in you because you have an investment in them).

I will keep asking around.  Good luck!!

Trying to keep staying at home with my DDs: 11/95, 06/06, and 04/08. Married to my soulmate.
Got to admit it's getting better, getting better all the time.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.  :)  It is rather frustrating.  Maybe I'll tell him to start causing trouble *wink wink*

I'm also interested in schools that may be outside of AAco.. at least as far as DH is concerned, nothing is off the table yet.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:26 PM

A little late but...Did you find a solution?

I am a current middle-school teacher who is unhappy in the public school system for both me and my older daughter (9).  I have been tossing around the idea of homeschooling her but the need for a dual income prevents this. I know that other teachers are in the same boat and it might be an option to look for either a teacher who wants something different to help with learning or a private school that specializes in GT or individualized attention. If you found a teacher willing to work with you and then provided other outlets for socialization or a homeschooling family who is willing to work out an arrangement with you, you might be able to homeschool without needing to jump in. The rule is you would need to provide 51% of the education, but most parents do that anyway imo through lifeskills (grocery shopping & math, social skills, reading together, causes and effects, problem & solution and so on).

In my own experience, my daughter is an extremly good reader and her GT reading class isn't on her level while although she is very good in math she and I have found that the GT math class moves too quickly for her and doesn't delve into a subject for long enough for her to get a good complete understanding before moving on to the next topic. Also, she still needs work on her basic facts. The sad thing is she is almost exactly like I was at her age, and looking back I know I was not challenged enough and this caused problems in high school and college :(

User Tag List