Vbac at special beginnings? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-17-2011, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! Has anyone vbac-ed at special beginnings? (do they even do vbacs there?) my husband and I are TTC baby #2. I had a failed induction/c-section at 33 weeks due to preeclampsia with my son who will be 2 in February. I was at mercy. It was a pretty traumatic experience. I have heard great things about Kathy slone, and I would consider going to her, but I think I would rather avoid a hospital birth if i can, and especially the bad memories at mercy. The care I got there was great, but we were planning a nice peaceful home birth. Not every intervention and drug in the book plus a nicu stay. greensad.gif

So....does anyone know if SB does vbac? If you had one there, would you mind sharing your experience with me? Thanks!
#2 of 19 Old 11-18-2011, 10:48 AM

Special beginnings does not do them...it's done at the hospital - AAMC? Not sure which one. I don't know if midwives are still allowed to attend, I don't think so, but I am not sure.

UofMD midwives will do vbac. They are pretty naturally minded and will try very hard to vbac, allowing more things then most hospitals. Of course then once you get anything medical, they have strict rules, but I don't remember getting an iv or getting monitored or anything at first. My labor was only 2-3 hours total though so I don't remember much, I was kind of in shock because I expected to take much longer. One of the midwives that was at Special Beginnings is now with UofMD.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#3 of 19 Old 11-18-2011, 02:11 PM

The midwives from the birth centers attend VBACs at the hospital.  VBACs are not done in the birth center.  

I'll be a VBAC mom in June, and I really wanted to avoid a hospital for my last one (who decided breech was a good postion) and now I'm kind of forced into a hospital this time, unless I want to use an 'illegal' midwife, which my husband isn't comfortable with.  

I have done years of research on VBACs and had a great conversation with Barbara from ICAN about VBAC options.  I'm planning on birthing at Upper Chesapeake with the Susquehanna midwives.  I'd be happy to tell you what I've learned in my research, feel free to PM me!  

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#4 of 19 Old 11-18-2011, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

:(  this makes me sad.  i thought this would be an option for us.  they have a vbac class.  maybe we will check that out.  i know barbara does one too.  

#5 of 19 Old 11-18-2011, 04:56 PM

I'm hoping to get to one of Barbara's before this baby is born.  She's having one tomorrow, but I can't be there.  VBACs are hard around here.  It stinks that it's so much work to advocate for a VBAC in Maryland.  

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#6 of 19 Old 11-18-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

her classes always seem to be a conflict for me too.  this one conflicts with my husband's birthday.  if i were pregnant, i would probably make more of an effort to attend one, but it doesn't seem that pressing at the moment.  :)

i grew up in rural western pennsylvania where there are very limited options for grocery stores, let alone health care providers.  i always consider baltimore to be the "big city" and i am always surprised (and annoyed) when i can't get what i want within a 20 minute drive!

i'd like to hear more about your info search, katylinda.  i will pm you!

#7 of 19 Old 12-29-2011, 09:24 AM

I had my vbac at the hospital and was attended to by the midwives at Special Beginnings. I am now pregnant with baby #3 and planning my second vbac with SB as well.

They are amazing and I love the care I get from them. I had no drugs, no iv, nothing when I was at the hospital. It was all I hoped for.

#8 of 19 Old 12-29-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

That is great to hear! Did you have to be on the monitor the whole time?
#9 of 19 Old 12-30-2011, 10:11 AM

Sassy - I PMed you.  I would LOVE to hear about your experience with AAMC and your VBAC.  Thank you! 

#10 of 19 Old 12-30-2011, 11:29 AM

Yes Katy, come to SB!!!  They congratulate you on nursing while pregnant there ;)  We are touring on the 9th.

#11 of 19 Old 01-01-2012, 07:46 AM

Special Beginnings does not VBAC and they told me that I'd have to agree to a c-section at 41w5d if I went with them. This was before an exam, even, just over the phone they told me that I'd have to agree to it :/

#12 of 19 Old 01-01-2012, 11:58 AM

Yikes.  I know c-sections and post dates are really tricky. A friend of mine has had 2 VBACs and with her 2nd she was down to the wire on dates.  They were only giving her 10 days past her EDD before they did a repeat c-section, despite the fact that her 2nd baby was a successful VBAC. 

#13 of 19 Old 01-02-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyLinda View Post

Yikes.  I know c-sections and post dates are really tricky. A friend of mine has had 2 VBACs and with her 2nd she was down to the wire on dates.  They were only giving her 10 days past her EDD before they did a repeat c-section, despite the fact that her 2nd baby was a successful VBAC. 

My second baby was a VBAC too, a very easy birth. That stipulation scared me off, to be honest. It was worse, IMO than  the OB who told me that the doctor would decide if I could have another VBAC, because with the OB at least I had a chance. :/ Such bad "choices", but I did use Bay Area Midwifery at AAMC and they didn't say I needed to agree to a c-section at any date :)

#14 of 19 Old 01-03-2012, 10:21 AM

Jenga - I PMed you.  I'd love to hear about your experience with Bay Area at AAMC! 

#15 of 19 Old 01-17-2012, 10:51 AM

I VBAC'd my 1st VBAC with SB and switched to Bay Area with my 2nd VBAC.  Cant say enough great things about Bay Area!  

Love 12.22.2004 ** Marriage 2.24.2007 ** Baby Carriage 8.7.2007 ** Double Stroller 7.20.2009 ** Triple Trouble EDD 5.15.2011
#16 of 19 Old 07-11-2012, 04:09 PM

Hello,

I would love to hear about your VBAC story and experience. My husband and I are in the planning stages for baby #2 and I am researching our options.  I feel like I was prematurely given a c-section at Holy Cross with our first son and was pretty traumatized by the whole ordeal.  I am considering a HBAC, which my hubby is totally against.

I have been looking around the area, i live in silver spring btw, and am willing to travel to get the birth experience I want.  I would love to gather some info to help me make a decision.  Thanks.

#17 of 19 Old 07-11-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenga View Post

Special Beginnings does not VBAC and they told me that I'd have to agree to a c-section at 41w5d if I went with them. This was before an exam, even, just over the phone they told me that I'd have to agree to it :/

I was told this too when I was with SB.  But, you just agree to it and cross that bridge when you are actually 41w5d.  They can't force you to have a c-section, you can simply not show up if you really wantsmile.gif

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
#18 of 19 Old 07-11-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyNicosMommy View Post

Hello,

I would love to hear about your VBAC story and experience. My husband and I are in the planning stages for baby #2 and I am researching our options.  I feel like I was prematurely given a c-section at Holy Cross with our first son and was pretty traumatized by the whole ordeal.  I am considering a HBAC, which my hubby is totally against.

I have been looking around the area, i live in silver spring btw, and am willing to travel to get the birth experience I want.  I would love to gather some info to help me make a decision.  Thanks.

If you're still looking around at different options, I would highly recommend Wisdom Midwifery at GW. Their VBAC rates are phenomenal and they are really great with women seeking minimal intervention births in a hospital setting. It's probably about the same commute wise if you schedule appointments at non-peak driving hours or even easier if you take the metro. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Mama, birth worker, and dreamer extraordinaire. slingboy.gif

Please read the NEW User Agreement.

#19 of 19 Old 07-15-2012, 06:13 AM

I had a c-section with #1 at AAMC with the SB midwives present. Boy was breech and refused to turn around. Luckily I got to 40w4days so i didn't feel like it was crazy early. I also had really low amniotic fluid (possibly leaking for a while) and I was 80% effaced and 5cm, so I was glad for a healthy baby boy at the end of it! SB was great through the pregnancy and now I'm looking into a VBAC with them. I haven't taken their VBAC class yet. It looks like from what you all are saying I can't use the birth center itself, boo!!! I'd prefer to not have to use the hospital again, tho it was a very good experience overall. I'd love to hear from mamas who VBAC'd at AAMC with SB midwives. Thanks in advance!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page