Evelyn Muhlhan's website - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 12-04-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For folks who want to get the story on Evelyn's battle to get her CNM license back you can go to this link.  There is addition links there for anyone interested in various fundraisers to help pay her legal bills as well.  Thanks!

http://saveourmidwifeevelyn.weebly.com/index.html

There are also ways to send in pictures or testimonials about Evelyn if you are so inclined.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 66 Old 12-12-2011, 08:17 AM

http://catonsville.patch.com/articles/catonsville-midwife-being-investigated-by-maryland-board-of-nursing#pdf-8664127

I found this today. :(

#3 of 66 Old 12-12-2011, 10:06 AM

This makes me so sad. I just called her office today. I really wanted a home birth :(

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

#4 of 66 Old 12-13-2011, 01:49 PM

#5 of 66 Old 12-21-2011, 02:20 PM

So is there a chance that Evelyn will get her license back? Is there going to be another hearing or is her license just suspended indefinitely?

I apologize in advance if that is listed somewhere, I may have missed it. Someone linked me the Arbutus Patch article and I didn't see any info on that when I read it.

#6 of 66 Old 12-23-2011, 09:28 AM

She is waiting on a hearing date.  The Maryland board of nursing is under no time constraint.  She will need our support by letters and presence at said hearing.   

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

#7 of 66 Old 01-03-2012, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm glad to see this update -- I came onto the Mothering boards specifically hoping to find this update.  Evelyn is a phenomenal care provider and I credit her entire team with the safe, healthy homebirth of my first child - who has continued to thrive and develop into a happy, joyous boy.  I loved Evelyn's care so much that I transfered my well woman check-ups to her as well.  I am happy to submit testimony or testify before the board when the time comes.  I emailed Diane at the addy on the website, but haven't heard back - so please let me know how I can help.

As our baby boy turns one next month, we are planning to TTC number 2.  Does anyone have suggestions of whom to see if we were to get pregnant again?  I live in North AA County and work in Annapolis, and would like to have another homebirth with a CNM (since my insurance covers that).  Ideally, I would love to begin my pre-natal care with one of the two birthing centers in Annapolis (since I am a health provider myself and have had many patients whom have enjoyed their care), and then transfer back to Evelyn for the actual home birth provided the Nursing Board gets their heads out of their @##es and restored her license.  Does anyone know how and if the birthing centers would allow this? 

#8 of 66 Old 01-03-2012, 10:13 AM

kesrya, that's my current plan and I am pregnant and due in June.  I'm currently receiving care at Special Beginnings.  I haven't actually told them that I plan to transfer if/when Evelyn gets her license back.  But that is what I plan to do if it happens before June.

#9 of 66 Old 01-03-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthy_Baby View Post

She is waiting on a hearing date.  The Maryland board of nursing is under no time constraint.  She will need our support by letters and presence at said hearing.   

Well, please let us know specifics when and if the time comes- I'd like to write a letter in support, and would attend the hearing if I could swing it.

#10 of 66 Old 01-10-2012, 06:54 AM

I see the fundraiser has been rescheduled for 1/28.  Does anyone know what time the event begins?  It does not specify on the website.

#11 of 66 Old 01-12-2012, 09:11 AM

The fundraiser's FB page says 7:00pm

https://www.facebook.com/events/303868342989792/

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

#12 of 66 Old 01-30-2012, 05:27 PM

i've read a hearing is scheduled for February 29, 2012.

no other details as to where and when.

#13 of 66 Old 02-10-2012, 11:00 AM

I just read both patch articles that I could find.

They state that the # of midwives that will attend home births is "small". My question is I thought Evelyn was the only mw in MD attending homebirths, so who are the other ones???

#14 of 66 Old 02-10-2012, 11:23 AM

There are several others.  More down towards DC then the northern part of the state. 

#15 of 66 Old 02-16-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison607 View Post

I just read both patch articles that I could find.

They state that the # of midwives that will attend home births is "small". My question is I thought Evelyn was the only mw in MD attending homebirths, so who are the other ones???

Susad Dodge is one, she is in Anne Arundel County and sticks close to there. There's one up by Delaware and M.A.M.A.s in Tacoma Park. I am sure I am missing a few on that list.

#16 of 66 Old 03-21-2012, 08:10 AM

Evelyn recommended a few CNM's for me a while ago, since she herself is so frustratingly not able to attend home births (which, with my 4th child due in April, burns me up!!). Her recommendations were:

Lori Serabo

Susan Dodge

Nannette Jenkins

I have not used any of these ladies personally but they are all on Facebook and if Evelyn says they are ok, then that's good enough for me. I had the pleasure of dealing with Evelyn at the Baltimore Birth Center where I had my first VBAC water birth in 2002, and I just want to say I desperately hope this woman is reinstated. She's one of the few people in this state with the kind of respect for birth that I think ALL providers should have. 

Never give up your rights

chicken3.gif waterbirth.jpg vbac.gif

Mother of 4 boys, 5 if you count my husband

#17 of 66 Old 03-26-2012, 06:43 PM

Not every midwife listed is a CNM.

#18 of 66 Old 03-26-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Please, please do not post the names of any CPM or DEM on this public list.  Things are unbelievably scary out there and posting their names puts them at risk.  Delaware is gearing up for a nice weeding out of midwives now too.  Please delete reference to her.

#19 of 66 Old 03-26-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Nanette and Susan are licensed CNMs in MD.  Susan doesn't do vbac.  Not sure what Nanette's policies are.  She lives in West VA so you have to be willing to drive out there for prenatals and she doesn't come all the way into MD.  More Frederick and Western Howard from what I understand (like to maybe Mt. Airy?).  I spoke to someone who works with her a while back...

#20 of 66 Old 03-27-2012, 08:58 AM

Thanks -- I just edited my post and reported the other one to be edited.

#21 of 66 Old 03-27-2012, 08:59 AM

Do we have any update on Evelyn's hearing?

#22 of 66 Old 04-06-2012, 08:07 PM

Just wanted to add a note that Nannette said she would be willing not only to assist with a VBAC but would be willing to attend a birth as far as Pasadena, MD, which is right on the Bay. I never met her but she seemed really awesome and very flexible!

#23 of 66 Old 04-06-2012, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting because a person who works with her, whom I will not name here, specifically told me Mt. Airy was as far east as they wanted to go.  I guess they changed their minds from six months ago?  Granted there is a whole lot of women in need further east now!!!

#24 of 66 Old 04-06-2012, 09:59 PM

Apparently so, my conversation with her was just a week or so ago and she said she'd have no problem traveling to my home as long as I had no problem traveling to WV for prenatals. She was also totally supportive of HBAC, but I only spoke to Nannette, not the other partner midwives in the practice. 

#25 of 66 Old 04-11-2012, 09:22 AM

So is Nanette a CNM?  How does it work if you live in another state and practice here?  We are TTC #3 (may be a while though with #2's nursing so much), but we are concerned about our options for homebirth, as we will absolutely not deliver in a hospital.

Small Rant to Follow:

We HBAC'd with Evelyn a while back.  I finally got a chance to read that nursing board document.  And while there were definitely items in there where she may not have followed "accepted procedure" to a T.  I question whether many of those rules are even in the best interest of the patient or the best interest preventing potential litigation.

But the most important thing I noticed what how they chastised her for being such a "risk to the health and survival of local women and babies," WHILE simultaneously stating that her Infant mortality rate was LESS THAN HALF of the Maryland average for full term infants.  

She has an IMR of 1.25/1000, Maryland is 7.8/1000 and if you look at just full term babies, its over 2/1000.

And since we know that Evelyn was treating women traditionally considered "high risk" by many OB's the population being served was likely extremely similar medically speaking.  That rate cannot be explained away by saying 'oh the OBs have a high risk population.'

SO... how DARE the nursing board insinuate that EVELYN is the risk to women and babies, when it is CLEAR her methods have resulted in SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER negative outcome rates than this areas hospitals.  They should be ashamed of themselves for this witch hunt.  Truly ashamed.

I also wanted to add, that Evelyn absolutely tells you the statistical risk for VBACs!  She gave me a whole sheet on it, listing the rate of uterine rupture.  I knew there was a small chance I or my baby could die delivering at home and a HIGHER chance I or my baby could die delivering in a hospital!  Women choosing this option do not need the Board of Nursing to protect us!!  We need to be given INFORMATION AND CHOICES and left ALONE to decide what WE THINK is best for us.  Despite whatever evidence they think they have to the contrary.

Our bodies, Our Choice.  

Okay, rant over.  But seriously.  Those nurses are a disgrace to health care.  How dare they.  I want to go through every one of their birth histories to see how many times a women and baby was compromised due to OVER INTERVENTION and that led to infant morbidity and mortality!  Lets suspend all their licenses!

DD1 7 1/2 years DS1 3 1/2 years And DS2   7/18/13
#26 of 66 Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 PM

I agree with you completely about Evelyn's situation - what makes me the most angry about what they've done to her is not only that it wasn't the women or the families who demanded an investigation but the medical staff at the hospital, who have been disrespectful toward her for years despite her absolute talent for midwifery and the level of trust her clients have in her (jealous? I think so!) and the fact that they suspended her prior to investigating as though she's a terrible danger to ANYONE, when in fact she's delivered more babies safely in their own homes than most doctors have in 20+ year careers in hospitals in this state. I agree that the nursing board should be ashamed for removing a person who is so clearly dedicated to preserving the natural process of birth from the lives of so many women and infants who would be safer in her care, whether high risk or not; it's just one more way the medical structure in Maryland confines women to their standards and limits their rights to choose the birth options that best suit them. How many women has Evelyn created choices for who would have otherwise been forced into interventions and surgeries at the hands of doctors who feared "allowing" them to even attempt to have a natural birth? Hundreds? Maddening. 

And yes, Nanette CNM. She travels into MD to perform prenatal check-ups and asks her clients to travel to WV for them as well. Best of luck in creating miracle #3 :)

raelize likes this.

#27 of 66 Old 04-25-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Ack, two more women calling this week wanting a licensed home birth provider where none is available.  This is insanity!

#28 of 66 Old 04-26-2012, 09:45 AM

"She has an IMR of 1.25/1000, Maryland is 7.8/1000 and if you look at just full term babies, its over 2/1000."

You have not read the information provided in the filing closely enough -- I believe the statistics provided in the filing for her are ONLY for the dates between January 1, 2011 and September 25, 2011 and ONLY cover the described 80 patients.  So her listed "infant mortality" rate is not 1.25 per 1000, but rather 1.25 per 80. 

Thus, if you multiply out her number so that it is measured over 1000 (rather than 80) she actually has an infant mortality rate more like 15/1000. 

I support homebirth that meets the qualifications set forth in the AAP's 2013 policy on homebirth.

#29 of 66 Old 04-26-2012, 11:07 AM

[quote]Update:
HB 1056 did not make it through the Maryland House of Delegates, and it was not introduced to the senate this year. We had hoped and dreamed that we would be the lucky grassroots group that succeeded on our first try; however, we are not disappointed in our efforts and accomplishments and all that we have learned.  

We are confident that our bill will pass the house next session and will work hard over the summer to make senate connections so that we have a chance in that arena as well.  

We will also be involved in the informal work group that HGO chair, Delegate Peter Hammen, has ordered. The work group will consist of MFSB, the DHMH and a variety of other stakeholders.  We have been assigned the task of determining how to license CPMs in Maryland.  We are excited about the opportunities to educate the opposition and create common ground which will help form the 2013 bill.   

[/quote]

So Evelyn is not practicing, we have no other CNMs, and there is no urgency to legalize CPMs, leaving us mothers who refuse to go to the hospital for a routine birth to do things unassisted or under the radar still (and paying out of pocket).

:(

#30 of 66 Old 04-26-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Except that her rate of infant mortality rate for the previous 5 years of ABC's clients was zero.  So that is how extracting data can be misleading.  And over a 26 year career, you are looking at a less than 1% IMR in over 2000 births.  She is just a wonderful, capable, amazing midwife.  I knew it just from working with her clients as a CBE and doula and after working as her assistant I absolutely know it to be true.

VBACmama4 likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page