Midwife Recs in Baltimore area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 01-24-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been searching the mothering.com forums for midwife leads (looking for someone who will do HB, ideally waterbirth, in the Baltimore area). I'd love to hear thoughts on who to talk to, and possibly who to avoid. (Please feel free to PM me with any specifics -- I don't want to cause anyone to post anything negative about anyone!)

We relocated from NY, where I had a great midwife, so the current climate in MD is pretty daunting. At the moment I just need someone for well-woman care, but plan on TTC very soon, so would appreciate any insight you all may have. I've tried to reach Anni a few times, but haven't heard back. Also wondering if anyone has thoughts on Joey P. Of course, I'd love to hear about other fantastic midwives.

TIA!

#2 of 22 Old 01-25-2012, 01:29 AM

Hello!

Here are some links to help you with your search...

http://marylandhomebirth.webs.com/localmidwives.htm

http://www.birthoptionsalliance.org/midwives.html

Good luck!

Mama, birth worker, and dreamer extraordinaire. slingboy.gif

Please read the NEW User Agreement.

#3 of 22 Old 01-25-2012, 11:48 AM

I strongly urge you to not use Joey P.

PM me if you would like to talk about it.

#4 of 22 Old 01-25-2012, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing these links -- I've come across them before, but I guess it's personal recommendations I'm really looking for. Of course, I know I'll have to interview midwives and figure out who I mesh best with, but other people's experiences and anecdotes are definitely helpful when it comes to winnowing the list!

#5 of 22 Old 02-26-2012, 02:44 PM

I'm in such a bind. I used Evelyn for my second son, my first was born in ny. Now we are planning again and I don't know who to use in baltimore!! I've contacted a number of midwives further out but they won't travel here... I need practical and personal recommendations!
#6 of 22 Old 02-26-2012, 03:35 PM

Have you contacted Anni Rodriguez?  I'm not sure how far she travels, but I know they do have clients in MD.  She and Paula Hostler are my midwives and I've loved them so far!  :)

For some reason I can't find Anni's number, but here is Paula's info.  They work together.  

Paula Hostler

717-424-4478

#7 of 22 Old 02-26-2012, 04:42 PM

Awesome I'll look into it! Thanks!!
#8 of 22 Old 02-26-2012, 04:50 PM

Anni has moved to PA. greensad.gif I would still call her anyway--she might have leads for you.
#9 of 22 Old 02-26-2012, 05:01 PM

Is Anni Rodriguez a CNM? I have gotten mixed info most of which was not current. 

#10 of 22 Old 02-26-2012, 05:11 PM

Yes, she is a CNM, but she was not up-to-date on her MD papers when she lived there. (Not quite sure of the details but that's my understanding of it.) She moved to MD from CA a couple years ago, and I assume she had all her ducks in a row in CA as she worked there for many years, and just hadn't gotten around to getting MD certified, whatever that entails.

She has recently gotten married and now goes by Anni McLaughlin, FYI. She is a wonderful midwife!!
#11 of 22 Old 02-26-2012, 06:33 PM

Thanks smile.gif
#12 of 22 Old 03-01-2012, 08:46 PM

So apparently Anni moved to PA!! I think I'm out of options greensad.gifgreensad.gif
#13 of 22 Old 03-01-2012, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

I feel ya. I hesitate to get pregnant before I have a sense there's a great midwife who will actually be practicing in MD by the time I need her. I've got an upcoming well-woman visit at Special Beginnings (a free-standing birth center in Annapolis) so I can check it out and try to get my head around the possibility of a non-homebirth. And we're still fantasizing about just heading back to NY, renting a place, and using our old midwife for a home-away-from-home-birth. Ridiculous.

#14 of 22 Old 03-02-2012, 06:18 AM

It took me a long time to get comfy with the idea of home birth and I decided at the last second (2 wks bef due date with my second) and he was born two days later!!! If not for kids being in scho I'd consider going bk to NY too!! I think if nd b I will just start with an OB and pray that something changes! Annapolis is abt an hour from me, that's scares me!! :( thanks for your sympathy!

#15 of 22 Old 03-02-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it's 45 minutes w/o traffic for me too. I don't really relish the thought of driving somewhere (esp far-ish) in active labor -- and that's despite the fact that I plan on using Hypnobabies again and so anticipate actually being really comfortable like I was the first time. I just think the travel/checking in to another place/getting situated, etc. is both physically and mentally disruptive to the whole birthing process. FWIW, it has occured to me that there are hotels in/near Annapolis, so it might be possible to be more comfortably nearby when it looks like things are getting going. Of course w/ kiddo #1 I had 2 weeks of prodromal labor, and active labor didn't follow any discernable pattern, so I'd probably have no idea when "getting going" was...Sigh.

#16 of 22 Old 03-02-2012, 11:59 AM

Anni did move to PA but she still works with moms in Maryland!  I live in Carroll County so I'm a lot closer to the boarder...but I know Anni and her partner Paula do births in Baltimore all the time...they also have an assistant Deanna who lives in Hampstead, MD.  It's just a matter of driving to your appointments every month.  However with how MD's been lately, homebirths with midwife assistance might become illegal soon :( 

All three of these woman are very caring and passionate about what they do, very trustworthy! 

Also, if it matters at all to you, they also accept insurance, as out of network providers.  BCBS says they will cover 60% of the cost.   

#17 of 22 Old 03-03-2012, 08:14 PM

Well, I map-quested it and Anni is like 3 hours away from me. I'm now considering Special Beginnings, its only abt 50 min away. I should find out for sure in a few days but I'm pretty sure I will get a positive hp test in a few days ;-). Now the rush is on. Has anyone used special beginnings? I'm totally bummed abt not delivering at home and hope something changes in a few months...
#18 of 22 Old 03-04-2012, 03:04 PM

Hi, I used SB and was very happy with them. I originally wanted a homebirth but went with them due to the lack of HB providers. We had an extremely hands off, very low intervention water birth at SB. The midwife came in to check the baby with the doppler every 30 min or so while I labored, but otherwise left us alone until I was pushing. I caught my daughter and held her for several hours before she was weighed, etc. It was really perfect, and I plan to go back there even if there are more HB providers in the future. We live about 45 min from there and the drive wasn't a problem for me--of course, that's very personal though. I used hypnobabies and arrived at about 4 1/2 cm.

Good luck with your decision, and please feel free to PM me with any additional questions.

#19 of 22 Old 03-07-2012, 08:30 PM

Would you and Mirkat please PM me.  I would like to see if you are are willing to help by using your stories of the lack of home birth options with a few stubborn delegates in Annapolis who are holding up the CPM licensing bill!

#20 of 22 Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 PM

You too Ruffgirl.  The testimony of people who wanted but could not get a licensed midwife is really working down in Annapolis.  I went speak with delegates and aides yesterday with a friend who went unassisted for lack of a midwife.  It is something that legislators NEED to hear.  We are trying to tell them the demand is huge and the four legal CNMs who do home birth are in no way able to accomodate the demand.

#21 of 22 Old 03-08-2012, 08:58 AM

Lorrie, I just emailed you. 

#22 of 22 Old 05-26-2012, 09:46 PM

i worked with a CNM and my baby had major complications. PM me if you want to know the details. i also worked with a great CPM which I would be happy to recommend.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page