Moving To Maryland, need help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 02-09-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I'm a 16 week pregnant homeschooling mother of 3 (counting little bit in the tummy!) who is moving from Texas to Maryland.

Can we say, ADVENTURE?

Here it's very easy to get raw milk.  There are two dairies very close to us and of course, I've JUST discovered raw milk.  So what happens?  We move somewhere where it isn't nearly as available.  BOO.

I looked through the forum and saw people asking about raw milk, but the only suggests were realmilk.com (which I've already checked) and places that are a good hour or more drive away.  With gas and what not, I would prefer NOT to have to do that. Not to mention - I'm pregnant!

So, here are my questions and oh, there are also some questions that don't pertain to raw milk. :-D

1. Does anyone know somewhere closer to Olney, md where I can get raw milk?

2. From what I've seen you can buy a 'cow share' and get raw milk legally that way since you technically own part of a cow.  Does anyone know of any cow shares?

3. Are there any co-ops that, perhaps, pay for a shipment to come to Maryland where I can get raw milk?

4. Speaking of co-ops, we buy bulk wheat berries and rains and grind our own wheat to make our bread (I promise, it's just wheat, not bones!)>  In Texas, we got it through a co-op.  Does anyone know if any near Olney?

5. Grass fed beef, where can I get it close by that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?  Especially marrow bones!  I need bones! (I promise I don't grind them to make bread.)  And non soy, free change chicken!  And chicken feet!  And eggs!

I think that's it for now.  I'm sure I'll have other questions but thanks in advance for any assistance you can give! :)

Amanda

#2 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 10:38 AM

That's quite a list!

Here is where I buy raw-grass fed-organic milk from:

www.yourfamilycow.com

It's illegal in MD to deliver across state lines, I've actually heard that it is technically illegal for individuals to purchase in another state and transport to MD---call me an outlaw then! I meet them at a "food drop" right over the line in PA, there is one above Baltimore as well, consult their calendar and make sure you join before ordering.

I have no idea about cow-share programs, but I'm sure there are some underground ones around just as I am 99.99% sure that in 'progressive' MD they are illegal for no-good reason.

www.yourfamilycow.com

Also has beef, pork, chicken all grass fed/organic. They sell everything on your list and keep their food list online updated.

Although we buy a 1/4 from a local farmer that does 90% grass fed long horn, we just love the LH taste, it's unbeatable, and the farmers are wonderful locals. www.cm-longhornbeef.com Columbine Manor

The only farm I have experience with in the Baltimore metro area is: http://www.fergusonfamilyfarm.com/ Their free range turkeys are what we bought and it was THE BEST turkey I have EVER tasted in my life. They also sell other products, although I've never bought anything by pies and turkey from them. They deliver periodically to Baltimore area.

www.eatwild.com

www.localharvest.org

These are the two search engines I use to find specific products.

MD is VERY restrictive on MANY things compared to TX, we're actually trying to move south for this very reason. I would read up on gun rights if it applies to your family as well, the potential to 'get in trouble' by doing things that are common sense for people in other states is enormous here.

#3 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 10:40 AM

I just read what you wrote about cow-share again, carefully this time :).

Can you send me the CS stuff you found? I have had no luck, but of course I am about 1 1/2 hours west of you in MD, so it's bound to be different.

#4 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 10:42 AM

Sorry thought of something else. Poly Face Farms, of Joel Salatin fame, delivers to a food buyers clubs in MD. There is one in Laurel, MD, which is relatively close to Olney.

www.polyfacefarms.com

They are completely grass-based/organic and sell anything you could want. However I am not sure about the wheat berries :)

#5 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thank, that information is very helpful.

The only thing I found about cow shares is that they have them and you can do it to get raw milk.  That's pretty much it.  I haven't really found any information on WHERE to get one which is why I'm posting here. :)

I guess I may have to go out of state and get some. Just buy a month's worth at a time I gues.s  Man my freezer is going to be full.

Thanks for all the food info! Hopefully someone will know about where to get wheat berries.

And yeah, MD is way restrictive which I just don't understand.  However, we do love the area for other reasons and have family up there which is why we're moving but man things are easier in Texas!  I have two dairies within 25 minutes of me in either direction.

Now if I can figure out the homeschooling stuff that would be good too!

#6 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 11:01 AM

I know of two buying groups that have drops not too far from Olney, MD.  Send me a PM and I'll give you more info.

#7 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 11:05 AM

We go to the drop point EO Sat morning, the milk keeps wonderfully in the fridge at 36 deg until opened.

LocalHarvest.org is a great search for Co-ops/farmers markets

We plan to HS as well, our daughter is 2 yo and we have another daughter due Mar 1st, so we've got a little time. What program did you guys use in TX?

#8 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Will do, Zoe, thanks!

Jamison, I used Sonlight the first year and this year we're using Classical conversation which I really like.  I really like the classical style of teaching. ^_^

#9 of 18 Old 02-11-2012, 10:49 AM

We just moved to Spencerville which is about ten minutes (if that) from Olney! I am so interested to see what you find out. Have you found any good play groups or mama groups in the area? 

#10 of 18 Old 02-14-2012, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't. :(  I would really like to find something.  It's so hard starting over.  If you'd like, though, I'd be glad to meet up for a playdate. :-D

#11 of 18 Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 AM

What age are your kiddos? Olney is kind of on the way for us as I visit my parents.

We are doing Sonlight also. For Maryland homeschool, it's not that hard.
http://www.marylandpublicschools.org/MSDE/divisions/studentschoolsvcs/student_services_alt/home_schooling/

You have to file a form only once to indicate you are intending on homeschooling. You also need to decide if you want reviews done by the county public school system twice a year, or if you'd rather be covered under an umbrella organization (procedures vary with each organization). We are using TEA (The Excelsior Academy). If you want an umbrella, better sign up soon, as ours only has limited openings each year as current students leave. Not sure if the other umbrellas are as full. Umbrellas are always supportive of homeschooling. The downside to umbrellas is they cost money, while going through the schools is free - but it's kind of a roulette as to the kind of school system reviewer you will get (hs-supportive or not).

Don't forget the Mothering homeschooling forum:
http://www.mothering.com/community/f/50/learning-at-home-and-beyond

BTW, I gave up on raw milk. It's just too far for us to drive to PA every week. We've got too many other things going on. Besides, DS needs goat milk, and I'm sure that finding raw goat milk is even harder than finding raw cow milk.

These folks are out in Dickerson, Maryland:
http://www.jehovahjirehfarm.com/

There is also a Roots Market in Olney and in Clarksville, though they are pricey. There is a My Organic Market (MOMs) in Jessup, Frederick, Rockville, and College Park. MOMs has reasonable prices, I think. There are also a few Whole Foods around, but not sure if there's one near Olney. There is The Common Market in Frederick, and they are nice. http://www.commonmarket.com/

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#12 of 18 Old 02-16-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

I know about Roots, but didn't know about the others.  Thanks a bunch!

Actually, I'm going to need goats milk too after my baby's born.  I should have posted that.  I can't make enough milk. :(

#13 of 18 Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, and I forgot to say, my daughter is seven, my son is five and a half. :)

Also, if you go with one of the umbrella groups, don't you have to use their curriculum?  I'd rather use one I chose. :}

#14 of 18 Old 02-16-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikoheiwa View Post

Oh, and I forgot to say, my daughter is seven, my son is five and a half. smile.gif

Also, if you go with one of the umbrella groups, don't you have to use their curriculum?  I'd rather use one I chose. :}

My umbrella lets me choose whatever curriculum that we want. There is also another umbrella here called Many Paths of Natural Learning, and I believe they also don't have a set curriculum. I believe it's geared to unschoolers.

You can PM me if you like when you get here and DS and I can stop by and say hi smile.gif

Oh, and check this thread for more on school district reviews in Maryland:
http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1344883/urgent-maryland-portfolio-review-please-help

#15 of 18 Old 02-16-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that link!  Don't have much time but I will come back and read it in depth.  Looks like it has some good tips in it!

As for your school, really?  Do you mind telling me the cost of an umbrella school?  We don't have a lot of money.  Is the one you use near Olney per chance?

Thanks so much!!!

#16 of 18 Old 02-18-2012, 05:20 PM

Re: Raw Milk
Here is a thread on a recent raw milk issue locally:
http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1344597/re-outbreak-of-campylobacter-milk-pa-md

Reading the thread from the local family affected by it:
http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1344116/anyone-else-sick-with-campylobacter-from-the-recent-raw-milk-contamination-in-pa

The farm involved - there is lots of information on the website that tells the story as it unfolded:
http://www.yourfamilycow.com/current-events.html

#17 of 18 Old 02-18-2012, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

I actually read the first thread and checked on the website.  I'm really not concerned.  Frankly, raw milk contamination is far more rare than contamination of other products.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foodborne_illness_outbreaks_in_the_United_States

Frankly, I have more risk of illness from OTHER foods than I do raw milk.  So thank you for the warning, but I will still continue my search for raw milk. :)

#18 of 18 Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikoheiwa View Post

I actually read the first thread and checked on the website.  I'm really not concerned.  Frankly, raw milk contamination is far more rare than contamination of other products.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foodborne_illness_outbreaks_in_the_United_States

Frankly, I have more risk of illness from OTHER foods than I do raw milk.  So thank you for the warning, but I will still continue my search for raw milk. smile.gif

Actually, it was not so much a warning as an FYI, here's what's been going on locally and how this particular farm has handled it. Sounds like they identified the source of the problem, and it's likely pretty much under control now. Plus their addition of pre-consumption testing is encouraging.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page