Looking for midwife Montgomery County, MD - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-15-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey there!  Need recommendations on a naturally minded midwife in or near Montgomery County.  The recommendation is for my sister (who is not on MDC).  She had her first baby naturally in a hospital with a midwife.  She hasn't been able to find a practice similar near Clarksburg.  She is willing to drive up to an hour or so. 

Thank you!  I told her I had the perfect place to help her find a provider!  :)

You can PM me with names, etc.  :)

#2 of 7 Old 02-16-2012, 12:22 PM

Maybe MCA? They see patients at White Flint Mall in Bethesda and once a week at a location in Frederick I think. They deliver at Shady Grove Hospital in Rockville.

#3 of 7 Old 02-21-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post

Maybe MCA? They see patients at White Flint Mall in Bethesda and once a week at a location in Frederick I think. They deliver at Shady Grove Hospital in Rockville.

Yes they are midwives. I wouldn't go so far as calling them naturally minded. Some are more so than others, but you get whoever is on call. I think there might be a good one down in DC, Birth Options Alliance might have a list. My experience with MCA were not much different than my OB visits for my first child.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#4 of 7 Old 02-22-2012, 12:13 PM

I'm a current patient at MCA, I've only been to one visit, but from what I can tell they seem similar to the M/W practice I went to in NJ.

I am a repeat VBAC patient and WILL refuse most interventions, I think it is best to know what you want and what you are willing to do or not do when you go to any practice.

Long story short - I think I like them.

The only days that the other midwives are there is on fridays, but so far all of my appointments are scheduled for Tuesdays with Terri.

It is too bad they don't have evening hours, it is going to be a challenge with my school aged kidlet and getting there in time for my appointments late this summer. I travel an hour to see them. boo to crumby hours. but so far every doctors office I have contacted has cruddy hours.

#5 of 7 Old 02-23-2012, 06:21 PM

Well it looks like since I went a little over a year ago, a few of the midwives I met with are no longer there and they have many new ones. So maybe it has changed, I have heard a lot of successful vbac stories coming from them, however when I was pregnant about 15 months ago, things were very different and I wouldn't classify them as natural...hopefully the new midwives have changed things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amink1979 View Post

I'm a current patient at MCA, I've only been to one visit, but from what I can tell they seem similar to the M/W practice I went to in NJ.

I am a repeat VBAC patient and WILL refuse most interventions, I think it is best to know what you want and what you are willing to do or not do when you go to any practice.

Long story short - I think I like them.

The only days that the other midwives are there is on fridays, but so far all of my appointments are scheduled for Tuesdays with Terri.

It is too bad they don't have evening hours, it is going to be a challenge with my school aged kidlet and getting there in time for my appointments late this summer. I travel an hour to see them. boo to crumby hours. but so far every doctors office I have contacted has cruddy hours.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#6 of 7 Old 03-01-2012, 01:53 PM

I don't have any idea how natural the MCA midwives are, but they are there, and birth in a hospital, which seems to be what was wanted. Do you want natural as in supporting a drug free birth? Because I think that's what you'd get with them, especially with a prior vag. delivery.

I used BirthCare in Alexandria for my first, and loved them, but we need to be in a hospital with a good NICU this time around, and Shady Grove is the only close hospital with jacuzzi tubs, so MCA it is! They are slightly more on the medical side of things - for example, I am constantly peeing in a cup, where I did that once for BC - but they are not nearly as invasive as the OB I started this pregnancy out with. Other than that, the appointments are in and out, answering all my questions, and reassuring me that they will let me do what I want to do during the birth. Yeah, there's a chance you'll get 1 of 5 on-call midwives, but that's the same with any practice delivering at a hospital.

The practice at GW sounds fantastic, but it also sounds like a nightmare getting to the appointments and dealing with rush hour and parking. I just don't like dealing with driving in that part of town, though metro is an option.

#7 of 7 Old 03-02-2012, 05:04 AM

I *think* the midwives at George Washington (Wisdom) also offer some weekday appointments in a Bethesda office. I'm not 100% sure of the details, but I have a friend who is a patient there and I know she's seen one of the GW midwives in Bethesda for some appointments (which is a lot closer to home for us and you don't have to worry about downtown DC craziness). Might be worth looking into...

Mama, birth worker, and dreamer extraordinaire. slingboy.gif

Please read the NEW User Agreement.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page